The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

The Drawing of the Three (1987)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (2)

9,604119301 (4.1)118
    The Talisman by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (107)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (118)
My favorite of the series so far. ( )
  marthaearly | Jun 6, 2014 |
awesome ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
BOTM voted to read the whole Dark Tower series, so I will be reading and reviewing the remaining 6 books in the series, and I may even try to fit in some side books. I like the Dark Tower series, it is a fantastic mix of old west and fantasy that just gives me happy thoughts.

This is an easy read, everything moves along at a nice pace, except the end of course, it seems to move to fast. It stays pretty true to King’s writing style and we can see influences form other books. I really enjoyed this book, it’s not my favorite in the series, but it is a good one.

To read my full review see my blog: http://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com/ ( )
  Serinde24 | Apr 12, 2014 |
A few months ago, I began my trek into the back catalogue of Steven King. I started off in a place that has received so much critical acclaim - The Dark Tower series.

As you all know, back in March, I reviewed the first Dark Tower entry, The Gunslinger, in a favorable light. After I read the final page - I immediately wanted more. The problem was, I had a stack of books to read and no where within was the sequel. 3 books later, I cracked open "The Drawing Of The Three".

Plot Summary:

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea-each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

Thoughts:

While there was no particular scene in "Drawing of the Three" that outshone the Battle of Tull in "The Gunslinger" - I still enjoyed the sequel nonetheless. Some of the action as well as most of the intense moments kept me from putting the book down at times - to the point where I was fighting off sleep. It was that good.

King does a masterful job introducing "The Three" referenced at the end of "Gunslinger". Eddie becomes an easily likeable character - someone who you feel sympathy for almost immediately. While I did find Oddetta/Detta to be ridiculously annoying at times - I had a hard time with the language King wrote for her character - she did her job adequately.

Continuing along the same path for Roland - we do see him warm up to the idea that reaching the Tower might be near impossible as well as his struggle with what will become of his newfound protege.

While keeping the overall tone - "Drawing of the Three" introduces a little humor into the series. Not overly but I did find myself laughing out loud more than a few occasions. Having someone from "our world" in with Roland worked really well - I enjoyed it a lot more this time around; more than Jake Chambers from "Gunslinger".

Overall, I'm 3 for 3 with King (Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three & Under The Dome) and I can't wait for more. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Hilariously weird and fun. King's obsession with believable detail is one of the big strengths of the novel. In particular the beginning - the first 100 or so pages - are extremely well realized. Not only is it imaginatively intense but the writing is of a very high caliber.

Highly recommended. You will be surprised.

The end is what -1'd a star. Too bad. Why can't they all be masterpieces? ( )
  Algybama | Mar 17, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don Grant, who's taken a chance on these novels, one by one.
The gunslinger came awake from a confused dream which seemed to consist of a single image: that of the Sailor in the Tarot deck from which the man in black had dealt (or purported to deal) the gunslinger's own moaning future.

(Prologue)
Three. This is the number of your fate.
The horror was a crawling thing which must have been cast up by a previous wave. It dragged a wet, gleaming body laboriously along the sand. It was about four feet long and about four yards to the right.
Flip-flop hippety hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and lets get high.

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:13 -0400)

Roland is drawn through a gateway of time and space into the drug-and-crime-ridden world of the twentieth-century to battle a dark power determined to prevent his search for the Dark Tower.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible