LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS…

LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES (original 1987; edition 2008)

by STEPHEN KING

Member:apalomo
Title:LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES
Authors:STEPHEN KING
Info:PLAZA & JANES EDITORES (2008), Hardcover, 544 pages

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King (1987)

The Talisman by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (125)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (136)
More than twenty years later and I still love this series. I am worried that the last two won't stand up to the mettle of the first five but this book still stands the test of time! This was superbly written and sucked me right in all over again. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I kept seeing comments from other readers saying this one was a big improvement over the first book in this series. However, I enjoyed the first volume more than this one. The tone of the first one was not really repeated here and I'm not sure I am impressed with the additional characters added to Roland's quest. Roland is ill most of this story and there are several other people added to his quest from different times in the United States. It will be interesting to see where this goes next. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
THE DRAWING OF THE THREE Review The second book in Roland's quest for the Dark Tower is my second favorite in the series. That being said, it's far from perfect. I'm going to start this review of my third read-through of this novel with the things that either broke my suspension of disbelief or made me cringe.

First and foremost: Like many readers, I cannot stand Insta-Love. Eddie and Odetta's immediate coupling always throws me, no matter how many times I read this book. This relationship strikes me odd for several reasons, but the one that stops me dead in my tracks is that Odetta, being the affluent, educated woman she is, barely balks at having been thrust into a strange world where lobster creatures roam the beach at night. Then, quite suddenly, she's fucking Eddie after a brief duet of "Star Light, Star Bright". I understand King's whole Ka/Destiny thing, but I cringe at the abruptness of their love all the same.

Second: One of the best parts of this book is the shootout inside Balazar's office. It rocks, plain and simple, but the ending drives me nuts. You have Henry Dean overdosed in a back room. Eddie Dean knows his brother is dead, as he overheard the henchmen informing Balazar of such, and that alone drives Eddie into a murderous frenzy. Understood. Dead brother. Sad and angry sibling. Epic shootout. Should be enough, right? Nope. King goes into Shock Value Land wherein one of the mafia heavies has just so happened to stay behind in the room where they'd been playing cards with Eddie's kidnapped bro. This heavy decides for no good or apparent reason to cut off Henry's head. Dafuq? Balazar was going to be pissed enough when he found out Henry had ODed, so why the beheading? There wasn't enough time during the flurry of bullets for old chap to both realize how south everything had gone and decapitate the great sage and eminent junkie. And where the fuck did he get the sword or saw or knife or whatever (because King never tells us HOW Henry Dean's head is removed) with which he relieves Henry's shoulders of their weight? The entire scene doesn't ring true to me, and seems tacked on so that the reader will feel even further remorse for a character whom King had no time to develop into an actual person on page.

Anyfuck, even after all that, I still love this book. Why? Because I dig Eddie Dean. I wouldn't come to care much for Susannah until halfway through THE WASTE LANDS, but I loved Eddie right off the bat. Addicts are some of my favorite characters to read about, as I have an addictive personality myself. Food, alcohol, cigarettes, pain meds, I've had trouble with all of them in the past. In fact, the second time I read this book, I was in withdrawals because my back doctor cut me off my Oxy 80s. It wasn't Dr. Del Fabrio's fault, though. I had tried to double up on my prescription by visiting the ER, and when my insurance company said, "No, sir," to paying for the meds because I'd just had a script filled for the same type of drugs a week prior, the pharmacist called my doctor. The man behind CVS's pharmacy counter apologized as if he'd done something wrong, and I went home empty handed. A week later, I received a letter in the mail saying Dr. Del Fabrio could not continue to treat me, and that his office wished me the best. I was as furious with my doctor as Eddie became when Roland snatched him out of late 1980's New York and away from his precious heroin. In the end, I'm glad I fucked up and tried to fill that second script. No telling where I'd be right now had I kept chasing the Oxy Train.

Wow... how the hell did this review become about me? I guess I could delete that section and keep my secrets, but it obviously wanted to be written, so I'll honor it by leaving it alone.

There's plenty of other things I love about this book, but the one that stands out above the rest is the ending. It's one of the best King's ever written. I don't know if it's one he plotted or unearthed during the process of putting words on paper, but it sure seems structured.

And as far as the gunslinger's lost fingers and mangled foot? That didn't bother me. I like the idea of a damaged hero, one who's never had to rely on anyone else until tragedy makes them dependent. It's a story told over and over again because it focuses on a simple fact concerning the human condition: Sometimes, even though we don't want them, we need other people. And that's okay. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
A great part of the series. It is difficult to rate this book as a part of a whole series. So I liked it and want to read more of the Dark Tower. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don Grant, who's taken a chance on these novels, one by one.
The gunslinger came awake from a confused dream which seemed to consist of a single image: that of the Sailor in the Tarot deck from which the man in black had dealt (or purported to deal) the gunslinger's own moaning future.

(Prologue)
Three. This is the number of your fate.
The horror was a crawling thing which must have been cast up by a previous wave. It dragged a wet, gleaming body laboriously along the sand. It was about four feet long and about four yards to the right.
Flip-flop hippety hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and lets get high.

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:13 -0400)

Roland is drawn through a gateway of time and space into the drug-and-crime-ridden world of the twentieth-century to battle a dark power determined to prevent his search for the Dark Tower.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,284,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible