LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS…

LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES (original 1987; edition 2008)

by STEPHEN KING

Member:apalomo
Title:LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES
Authors:STEPHEN KING
Info:PLAZA & JANES EDITORES (2008), Hardcover, 544 pages

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King (1987)

The Talisman by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (114)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (125)
I am glad I took the time to read this book after hating the first book. The pacing and literary style are much faster paced and accessible. I particularly found the exploration of the Lady's duality interesting, although I take exception to the use of the term "schizophrenic" when discussing MPD, but I understand that while it seems an anachronistic usage to me, it was used that way when the book was written. All in all, I enjoyed this book and am now looking forward to the third novel. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Okay, what everyone said is true: get through the first book in the series, and it'll get better. It totally did! I don't know why I couldn't get into the first book, but I made it through and I LOVED this book! So interesting, very intriguing, MUCH more like the Stephen King I've known and loved for years!!! I'm hooked now. :) ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Much better than the first installment. I'd really put off reading this because I didn't like the first one. The characters are pretty good in this one even though they're written very broadly. With this kind of dark fantasy, it worked. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 15, 2014 |
The first volume, The Gunslinger, was alright. Remarkable in some areas; tediously slow and bewildering in others. Stephen King likes to work out his stories as he writes, which allows for some frickin' brilliant narration, but then consistency errors tend to compound if his work spans multiple volumes. This very problem will hamper the Dark Tower series later on. For now though, here near the start of the quest, Roland's world is largely unexplored and flush with possibility.

The Drawing of the Three, volume two in King's Dark Tower opus, is where the tone starts to resemble the series we fans have come to love. Roland's palaver with the Man in Black at the end of the last book has left him somewhat aimless, his singular goal to reach the Dark Tower now complicated by this additional undertaking to draw three companions into his world. What the Man in Black's purpose is in all of this remains a mystery for now.

This is Stephen King at near the top of his game in my opinion. The characters come alive, almost entirely via their back-and-forth verbal exchanges. King is an especially gifted writer of dialogue. The Lady of Shadows in particular will make you cringe. You'll see what I mean. Also, the pacing, the mounting tension, and humor hit all the right beats. If The Drawing of the Three doesn't leave you craving more of the Dark Tower story, then cry off the trail now. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Aug 31, 2014 |
In spite of the not so good impression that The Gunslinger gave me, this book not only continues the saga of its predecessor, it also gives out a fantastic change of course in Stephen King's westernish story. Roland now shows a more human side of himself, seemingly unexisting in the previous book, tortured by his own acts of insensibility, as he tries to compensate this. At the same time, he tries to achieve what's necessary to get to the Dark Tower.

The way each of the characters are developed, their stories, the overturns, the almost brutal descriptions that will take to the characters' shoes, the interesting plot... all that is put together in an intriguing dive through the 400 pages of a breath-taking story. A mandatory reading for Stephen King fans. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don Grant, who's taken a chance on these novels, one by one.
The gunslinger came awake from a confused dream which seemed to consist of a single image: that of the Sailor in the Tarot deck from which the man in black had dealt (or purported to deal) the gunslinger's own moaning future.

(Prologue)
Three. This is the number of your fate.
The horror was a crawling thing which must have been cast up by a previous wave. It dragged a wet, gleaming body laboriously along the sand. It was about four feet long and about four yards to the right.
Flip-flop hippety hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and lets get high.

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:13 -0400)

Roland is drawn through a gateway of time and space into the drug-and-crime-ridden world of the twentieth-century to battle a dark power determined to prevent his search for the Dark Tower.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,008,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible