LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS…

LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES (original 1987; edition 2008)

by STEPHEN KING

Member:apalomo
Title:LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES
Authors:STEPHEN KING
Info:PLAZA & JANES EDITORES (2008), Hardcover, 544 pages

The Drawing Of The Three by Stephen King (1987)

The Talisman by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (138)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (149)
The Drawing of the Three starts a few hours after the ending of The Gunslinger. Roland is still on his quest for the dark Tower.

In the course of this story, Roland gets two companions. He visits their world on three different occasions and times using three doors he finds standing on their own miles from each other. That would be the sum of it, but this being a Stephen King's work, you know you can expect a lot more.
While I hated Detta with a passion and found Eddie's naiveté annoying at times, I really liked the story itself. And Roland, of course.
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Very entertaining second book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, a series I've heard about and never before experimented with. Roland, a gunslinger from a future that's regressed, meets up with three or four new characters on his journey to the Dark Tower, depending on how you count.

Upsides: very engaging action scenes, very detailed descriptions of setting and action, the presence of a twice-disabled black woman with skills is a surprise, time-and-space-and-self travel through doors is very interesting device. Downsides for me: it's -- how to say this -- rather "gritty" for my taste (death/violence/gratuitous taboo-skirting in the form of nasty lobster things and asides like our evil male character wearing women's panties?), and I spent the whole book not sure what's really driving Roland.

I started here, but I really probably should have started with Book #1. Glad to have experienced Stephen King outside of his usual fare. ( )
  pammab | Jan 10, 2016 |
Review for audiobook ~ 4.5 stars story ♫ 5 stars narration.
After reading The Gunslinger, I wasn't sure this series would be for me. I'm happy to be proven wrong! This book was crazy good. I mean who can do weird and crazy better than Stephen King? I though it was great and was sooooo surprised how it all tied in together. I really enjoyed and am looking forward to the next one in the series where the quest continues.
The narrator was just perfect! He did such a wonderful job bringing all these character to life in such a colorful way. He was great! ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
Review for audiobook ~ 4.5 stars story ♫ 5 stars narration.
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
The one thing that must be understood going into reading any Stephen King novel - whether it's science fiction, horror, or biographical - is that he is going to present the world without a censor, without silver lining. Stephen King's characters are always the worst versions of themselves, and even though I found myself being uncomfortable the first time we run into Detta Walker (oh my goodness) I also like that rawness about his characters. They are so incredibly flawed and they don't give a shit what you think and they are real. But if you are expecting butterflies and rainbows, they are incredibly jarring.

Stephen King does not do butterflies and rainbows.

The Drawing of the Three is what it sounds like - it is a playground for character development as Ronald Deschain - the Gunslinger - collects his companions for the arduous journey ahead to the Dark Tower. This story does not move the plot forward except in the same way buying groceries helps you advance in making dinner; he is collecting the tools he needs for his quest. In that way, it can feel a bit monotonous. I find that The Drawing of the Three is more like two short stories and a bit of mindless babble (the final door) thrown together with a weaving of an endless beach and murderous crabs (dadda-chik, dadda-chum). As the story makes further and significant progress in the last three books, the importance of the first three becomes more apparent. But you must let the story teller weave his tale.....

One thing King does flawlessly is pull the reader so entirely into the world that even if you hate his jagged characters, you are intrigued by their struggles, and that is his greatest spell as a writer. ( )
  Morteana | Nov 29, 2015 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don Grant, who's taken a chance on these novels, one by one.
The gunslinger came awake from a confused dream which seemed to consist of a single image: that of the Sailor in the Tarot deck from which the man in black had dealt (or purported to deal) the gunslinger's own moaning future.

(Prologue)
Three. This is the number of your fate.
The horror was a crawling thing which must have been cast up by a previous wave. It dragged a wet, gleaming body laboriously along the sand. It was about four feet long and about four yards to the right.
Flip-flop hippety hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and lets get high.

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Roland is drawn through a gateway of time and space into the drug-and-crime-ridden world of the twentieth-century to battle a dark power determined to prevent his search for the Dark Tower.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,121,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible