LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS…

LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES (original 1987; edition 2008)

by STEPHEN KING

Member:apalomo
Title:LA TORRE OSCURA VOL. 02: LA LLEGADA DE LOS TRES
Authors:STEPHEN KING
Info:PLAZA & JANES EDITORES (2008), Hardcover, 544 pages

The Drawing Of The Three by Stephen King (1987)

The Talisman by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (146)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (157)
I wasn't crazy about the first book in The Dark Tower series, The Gunslinger, was actually a bit bored. However, a nice person left a comment on my review that the second book moved more quickly and I might like it more. I did. This book was much more interesting to me than the first. Roland the Gunslinger is still a major character, but so are Eddie, a washed up addict, and Odetta/'Detta a good/evil multiple personality woman. And mutant lobsters. You gotta love the mutant lobsters. Vicious and cheerful, and you can't help but understand the vicious part after lobsters have been boiled to death for ages. And there are magic doors that lead from one world to another.

Of course, the story is total fantasy and I really had to suspend disbelief, but that's okay – it's supposed to be that way.

I still enjoy King's more traditonal (if horror can be called traditional) novels than I do this series, but nevertheless, this series has suckered me in and I'm going to listen to the third book as soon as I get it.

I listened to an unabridged audio edition of this book, borrowed from the local public library. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 27, 2016 |
The Drawing of the Three starts a few hours after the ending of The Gunslinger. Roland is still on his quest for the dark Tower.

In the course of this story, Roland gets two companions. He visits their world on three different occasions and times using three doors he finds standing on their own miles from each other. That would be the sum of it, but this being a Stephen King's work, you know you can expect a lot more.
While I hated Detta with a passion and found Eddie's naiveté annoying at times, I really liked the story itself. And Roland, of course.
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
This was truly an order of magnitude better than The Gunslinger, but you need to go into it expecting to be blindsided by characters and settings that, while carefully and engrossingly drawn, have no ultimate connection to Roland or his journey - King is clearly more fascinated by NYC than by anything in Roland's own world.

The fish-out-of-water aspect provides quite a few comical moments; I loved the scene where Roland drinks Pepsi for the first time. It's a fun change to have our own world portrayed as the 'otherworld' for a change.

The book is essentially three short novellas that collectively pick up some serious steam towards the end; the finale is gripping and extremely satisfying, and I'm now genuinely excited to see where The Waste Lands takes Roland and the new characters - it's a feeling that was missing from the end of The Gunslinger. ( )
  ddueck88 | Aug 10, 2016 |
This one wasn't quite what I was expecting the second Dark Tower novel to be, but really? That's a good thing. I wasn't sure I could endure another whole novel's worth of Old Testament desert trekking with Roland.

There's still plenty of moralizing to be had here anyway, of course, mostly about drug addiction, pushers and junkies and gangsters, oh my. For Roland, who confronted his nemesis (or at least the mouthpiece of his nemesis) at the end of The Gunslinger only to find his encounter took years, rather than hours, has won through to the beach with a slightly clearer understanding of his purpose, or at least the next task he has to complete in his quest to reach the titular tower. He has to gather allies. Or more Jack-type sacrifices. Or something.

So a decent chunk of this novel is spent coming and going between our own world and a weird interstitial wood between the worlds sort of place, the beach through to which Roland won at the end of the last book. Except the danger on this beach is not that he is going to fall asleep and forget what he was supposed to be doing. No, it's much cooler.

Damn, but I love the lobstrosities. Giant mutant crustaceans that creep forth from the waves at nightfall and pursue anything that moves with bizarre nonsense questions "Dod-a-chuck? Did-a-chum?" and can snap through anything with their claws and beaks. And yes, that includes people.

I think I could have read a whole (short) novel of just Roland versus the Lobstrosities, but that wouldn't advance the quest plot of the Dark Tower very much, would it? And so after pretty much losing to them, barely alive and minus some of the parts he was born with, Roland finds a door in the sand that opens into the mind and senses of someone in our world. First a junkie, Eddie, muling drugs back to New York City from the Caribbean: then a legless (and not in the sense of drunk) heiress and civil rights activist (another of Stephen King's oracular black women) with two personalities in one skull, Odetta/Detta; and then a man who brings a hilarious new literality to the term "pusher", Jack. These three figures' lives were bizarrely intertwined even before Roland came along to suck them out of their worlds (and times; Eddie comes from the 80s, Odetta from the 60s and Jack from the 70s) and into his.

There are shoot-'em-ups (Eddie's arc), struggles with multiple personality disorder in which one personality (Odetta) falls more or less in love with, and the other (Detta) keeps trying to kill, Eddie, and an elaborate improvised heist (Jack's arc). There is, to my delight, plenty of lobstrosity action. And there is an abundance of word play. The title is evoked several times in several ways, as is the idea of pushing and pushers, all very elegantly and slyly handled.

Overall, though, while the interlocking plots are all plenty interesting (especially the last, in which the question of how Roland is going to keep going after proflagate ammo expenditure and loss is answered) keeps all this interesting for me is the same as what keeps it interesting for everybody, I think: the figure of Roland, lean and tough, scrawny and scary, the crackest shot that ever drew a gun, the hero of every epic quest narrative stripped down to his barest essence and armed with some exquisite and powerful weapons. I've joined the Twitter game of arguing over who should play him if this series ever makes it to the big or small screen. Currently the favorite seems to be Daniel Craig, but Craig would have to pull a Christian-Bale-in-the-Machinist to do it, and that seems to have done lasting harm to Bale. But after what I've seen of that insane new IFC series Bullet in the Face, I think I have the best candidate yet: Max Williams, who wouldn't have to starve himself much to achieve the scrawniness and has just the right kind of menacing presence (when he's not chewing the scenery and firing off ridiculous one-liners, anyway). Your mileage will doubtless vary.*

*And I fully stipulate that my notion is simply born of the coincidence in time that had me watching this series while waiting for my Kindle to recharge so I could finish reading this book.
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Roland draws the three. ( )
  jrthebutler | Jun 17, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don Grant, who's taken a chance on these novels, one by one.
The gunslinger came awake from a confused dream which seemed to consist of a single image: that of the Sailor in the Tarot deck from which the man in black had dealt (or purported to deal) the gunslinger's own moaning future.

(Prologue)
Three. This is the number of your fate.
The horror was a crawling thing which must have been cast up by a previous wave. It dragged a wet, gleaming body laboriously along the sand. It was about four feet long and about four yards to the right.
Flip-flop hippety hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and lets get high.

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Roland is drawn through a gateway of time and space into the drug-and-crime-ridden world of the twentieth-century to battle a dark power determined to prevent his search for the Dark Tower.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,509,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible