The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower,…

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, Book 2) (edition 2003)

by Stephen King

Member:tkalambokidis
Title:The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, Book 2)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 480 pages

The Drawing Of The Three by Stephen King

The Talisman by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (159)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (170)
Di questo volume (riletto a distanza di circa vent'anni) ricordavo abbastanza bene la prima parte - quella su Eddie. Ricordavo addirittura alcune frasi e la vicenda e ricordavo dove l'avevo letto e quando (nella casa in montagna, d'estate). Ma stranamente non ricordavo quasi nulla della Signora e dello Spacciatore.
Tolte queste considerazioni (che mi fanno pensare di averlo apprezzato fino a un certo punto in quell'estate dei miei sedici anni) - penso che il libro sia davvero un capolavoro e leggerlo immediatamente dopo il primo (e non dopo cinque anni da L'ultimo cavaliere) fa forse notare un certo cambio di stile da parte del Re, ma probabilmente fa anche apprezzare molto di più l'arricchimento dell'ambientazione. ( )
  marcogiorgini | Jul 26, 2017 |
The Drawing of the Three is the second novel in the The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. [Here’s my review of the first one, The Gunslinger.]

Plot:
After the encounter with the Man in Black, Roland wakes on a beach, the Man in Black’s tarot reading of his fate still ringing in his ear. Before Roland can get his bearings, he is attacked and injured by lobstrosities. In an increasingly weakened state, he starts to move along the beach in search of the Three that were announced to him as his partners. It’s then that he stumbles upon a door that stands on its own on the beach. When Roland opens it, he is transported to another world, New York City, which is deeply connected to his own.

The Drawing of the Three is an exciting read that left me wanting more (fortunately there is more), although there were also things I didn’t exactly like about it.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2017/01/12/the-drawing-of-the-three-stephen-king/ ( )
  kalafudra | Jul 21, 2017 |
"There I will sing all their names!"

Here we have the second book in Stephen King's massive Dark Tower series. This was my second read-through of this one and, like my second read of The Gunslinger, I feel I could appreciate this one more the second time around. This is probably partially because I knew what was coming, even though it had been long enough that some of the minor details had slipped.

Picking up almost exactly where the first book left off, Roland has been left quite a prophecy by the Man in Black. One that he doesn't quite understand just yet, but he will. Of course, not to make things too easy on our hero, he soon is confronted with terrors of the sea looking to have him for lunch! He doesn't come away unscathed, and now the clock is ticking.

Last time, Jake Chambers was pulled into Roland's world. This time, Roland is going to get pulled into ours. Three need to be drawn; The Prisoner, The Lady of Shadows, and Death. Each of these three will bring their own unique challenges for Roland, who is already in a world of hurt from those damned lobstrosities. Can he draw these three to his world before the infection takes him? Or will one of them get to him before that?

Yet another fantastic read from King, who knows how to pace a story within an inch of his life, or in this case, Roland's! ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jul 12, 2017 |
A very different book from the first volume. It feels different and so does the character of the Gunslinger. There's some slight of hand going on here. The mysteries of the metaphyics of the world are sidestepped and the paucity of the main trust of the novel – the journey along the beach – is hidden behind the long excursion into Eddie's life in the real world: details which are irrelevant to the plot but which King makes enjoyable because he's a good writer.

There's also an interesting phallic subtext. One character screams about rape, another penetrates himself with a needle. The Gunslinger's injuries mean he can no longer fire his own gun, and when he does he fires blanks. And of course the quest is for the biggest penis in the universe. A black one so important that the universe revolves about it. ( )
  Lukerik | Jun 21, 2017 |
Wow. That was awesome! Many have said tonnes about this book and probably better than I ever could so off the top of my head are some random thoughts from me.

**I really like that little poke at society at the drugstore. Here take my Rolex! Keflex! I was also particularly enamoured with Eddie's "character progression" (especially after reading someone fan-casted Aaron Paul - who fits Eddie to a T for me!) - plus his relationship with Roland is special. Ka-tet is what I've heard it called. Karass is also something that came to mind.

Will read the next volume soon!

Source: Borrowed from the library
Date finished: 12feb2017 ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don Grant, who's taken a chance on these novels, one by one.
The gunslinger came awake from a confused dream which seemed to consist of a single image: that of the Sailor in the Tarot deck from which the man in black had dealt (or purported to deal) the gunslinger's own moaning future.

(Prologue)
Three. This is the number of your fate.
The horror was a crawling thing which must have been cast up by a previous wave. It dragged a wet, gleaming body laboriously along the sand. It was about four feet long and about four yards to the right.
Flip-flop hippety hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and lets get high.

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Roland is drawn through a gateway of time and space into the drug-and-crime-ridden world of the twentieth-century to battle a dark power determined to prevent his search for the Dark Tower.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,174,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible