The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower,…

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, Book 2) (edition 2003)

by Stephen King

11,918181317 (4.09)1 / 175
Member:eleighb85
Title:The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, Book 2)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 480 pages

The Drawing Of The Three by Stephen King

The Talisman by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)

English (170)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (180)
I liked the lobstrocities. ( )
  lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |
Book two in Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

I complained a bit about the quality of the writing in the first volume. This one is definitely better written. Much more assured, and a much easier and more entertaining read. There are some pretty good moments of action, suspense, or horror, and some interesting bits of worldbuilding as we get to learn various little details about Roland's world by seeing our own world through his eyes.

On the other hand, though, it still feels not so much like a story in itself as like a prelude to some story we're still being promised, and at some point, enough prelude is enough. I'm a little worried that pretty much the entire series might keep feeling like this, but we'll see.

My real problem with it, though, is with one of the main characters, Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker. Who is, in fact, two people, and King clearly knows nothing about multiple personality disorder and hasn't bothered to research it, referring to her condition constantly as "schizophrenia," which is a common mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. Also, his attempt to write good and evil versions of a black woman from the 60s... Well, he means well, but I found the results a little cringe-inducing, anyway.

Still, the series is moving in the right kind of direction for me, and I'm at least mildly interested to see where it goes from here. ( )
  bragan | Sep 24, 2018 |
Still not sure about this series. Book 2 felt an awful lot more horror than fantasy (I'm not big on violence/gore/blood, so there was considerably too much of that for my taste). We're two books in and I'm not sure I understand who the main character is or what they're doing. Book 2 and Book 1 also seem like completely different experiences, other than the main character has the same name and same props.

Stephen King is very good at maintaining narrative tension, so even when I'm not loving it, I'm still eager to read it--he writes aptly-named page-turners. But I'd rather be reading Diana Wynne Jones, still, or P.G. Wodehouse, or George Eliot.

(Will likely read the 3rd just out of curiosity to see if it continues the "random book plot featuring same character" storyline, or if he's settled into his story. But that's it--I can only go so far with books in which random things happen for no reason, time and space make no sense, and I'm not sure where the characters are, what they're doing, and why they're doing them!)

(Note: 5 stars = rare and amazing, 4 = very good book, 3 = a decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm good at picking ones I'd like so I do end up with a lot of 4s!) ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Not quite as brilliant as the first volume in my mind, but still extremely good. Expanding the universe, introducing Susannah and Eddie (boy is he annoying though), and pushing ever onwards. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Even though I read the book, I felt like an audio reading would be a good thing. This is one of the most important books of the series as Roland joins forces with Eddie Dean and Odetta Holmes (Susannah Dean) to save the dark tower. It is rich in symbol and allegory. This is my 3rd time reading and I did enjoy it more than The Gunslinger. I liked that this book bought Roland to New York where Roland meets a new adversary, Jack Mort. I'm looking forward to the next book, The Waste Lands. ( )
  EadieB | Jul 15, 2018 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Don Grant, who's taken a chance on these novels, one by one.
The gunslinger came awake from a confused dream which seemed to consist of a single image: that of the Sailor in the Tarot deck from which the man in black had dealt (or purported to deal) the gunslinger's own moaning future.

(Prologue)
Three. This is the number of your fate.
The horror was a crawling thing which must have been cast up by a previous wave. It dragged a wet, gleaming body laboriously along the sand. It was about four feet long and about four yards to the right.
Flip-flop hippety hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and lets get high.

After his confrontation with the man in black at the end of The Gunslinger, Roland awakes to find three doors on the beach of Mid-World's Western Sea—each leading to New York City but at three different moments in time. Through these doors, Roland must "draw" three figures crucial to his quest for the Dark Tower. In 1987, he finds Eddie Dean, The Prisoner, a heroin addict. In 1964, he meets Odetta Holmes, the Lady of Shadows, a young African-American heiress who lost her lower legs in a subway accident and gained a second personality that rages within her. And in 1977, he encounters Jack mort, Death, a pusher responsible for cruelties beyond imagining. Has Roland found new companions to form the ka-tet of his quest? Or has he unleashed something else entirely?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

Roland is drawn through a gateway of time and space into the drug-and-crime-ridden world of the twentieth-century to battle a dark power determined to prevent his search for the Dark Tower.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,543,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible