Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty

Originally read in September 2010. Jessica Darling is starting to lose her charm. She whines a little too much in this book: about relationships, even though she cheated on the love of her life; about money, even though she is paying her own way through her dream school; about her parents, even though they already said they wouldn't help with this particular college's tuition and are trying to enrich their own lives; about her friends not being good for her, even though she's hardly a friend back to them. I think she's a little too "in her head" this book, and it's starting to wear on me. In high school, it was ok because high school lives typically are small, but once you're going to Columbia and are living in NYC, it's time to take advantage of everything that's on your plate. (Yes I know it's ridiculous to get frustrated by a fictional character.) ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
They keep getting worse but I suppose I'm in it for the long haul. I can never stop reading a series once I start. One thing is for sure: I will not be recommending these books to the teens I just started working with at my friend's church. I don't think the leadership would be impressed. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Still good, but felt too condensed. Four years of college in one book? I think you change more between your freshman and senior year of college vs your freshman and senior year of highschool. If she wanted to condense years, I think maybe 2 at most would have worked. And I might be the only one, but the final ending to the postcards didn't mean much to me- I was kind of disappointed. ( )
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
I loved the first book and then the second, but I got bogged down a lot in this one. I'm not entirely sure why: Jessica's still got a keen eye for the absurd, but she's starting to feel like that facebook friend whose status updates are starting to all sound the same and maybe you're not sure you want to listen any more.
  terriko | Jan 7, 2014 |
Charming. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |

Jessica Darling's in college!

Things are looking up for Jessica Darling. She has finally left her New Jersey hometown/hellhole for Columbia University in New York City; she's more into her boyfriend, Marcus Flutie, than ever (so what if he's at a Buddhist college in California?); and she's making new friends who just might qualify as stand-ins for her beloved best friend, Hope.

But Jessica soon realizes that her bliss might not last. She lands an internship at a snarky Brooklyn-based magazine, but will she fit in with the überhip staff (and will she even want to)? As she and Marcus hit the rocks, will she end up falling for her GOPunk, neoconservative RA ... or the hot (and married!) Spanish grad student she's assisting on a summer project ... or the oh-so-sensitive emo boy down the hall? Will she even make it through college now that her parents have cut her off financially? And what do the cryptic one-word postcards from Marcus really mean?

Jessica, a student at New York's Columbia University, has a hard time fitting in with the hipster staff at the Brooklyn-based magazine for which she is interning, and is tempted by three very different guys--a neoconservative resident assistant, the sensitive boy down the hall, and a married Spanish graduate student--when problems with her boyfriend Marcus arise.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible