The Meadow by James Galvin

The Meadow (original 1992; edition 1993)

by James Galvin

Member:selfnoise
Title:The Meadow
Authors:James Galvin
Info:Owl Books (1993), Reprint, Paperback
Tags:literature, western

The Meadow by James Galvin (1992)

Quiet but powerful. ( )
  ParadisePorch | Sep 18, 2018 |
What a glorious book! I read it slowly, savoring it, and enjoyed it immensely. It's full of wonderful character studies and descriptions of the land in the high mountains of Wyoming. This is a story of people who lived there and of the land itself. By the end of the book I felt as though I had actually known the people in it.

Beautiful writing and beautiful descriptions fill this book's pages. I underlined some of most lyrical phrases, and will no doubt be re-reading this book in the future. ( )
1 vote Mokihana | Jul 7, 2015 |
While at first I felt that this book was poetic, but choppy, the connections became more clear as I moved farther into the story and recognized its non-linear structure. Having lived in Laramie, I enjoyed reading about this nearby area of the Wyoming/Colorado boarder. Galvin's beautiful prose tells a story that embodies the Wyoming values of self-reliance and independence. This is a wonderful read that I know I will come back to again. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
On the Colorado-Wyoming border high in the Neversummer Mountains is a piece of land called The Meadow. Author James Galvin, who was raised in northern Colorado and has an intimate sense of the place, writes a one-hundred year history of the eponymous meadow. Narrating in short vignettes, he describes "seasons, the weather, the wildlife, and the few people who do not possess but are themselves possessed by this terrain" (Publisher). Ray, Frank, Clara, and Lyle, my favourite character, are among those “possessed” – not only with the land in the arid mountains, but with wills of steel and relentless resourcefulness, grace, and neighbourliness.

The Meadow is spellbinding: a beautiful and timeless tribute to the American West and its people. That Galvin is a poet will not surprise, given the gorgeous prose. Highly, highly recommended.

"He takes a deep drag and looks down past the springhouse nested in the orange willow branches. Up over the opposing hill he sees the snow on the mountains west of Laramie. Another breath of wind comes up and starts the aspens chattering like nervous girls, and they catch the last low-angling rays of sun and flare. The dark tops of evergreens are red, almost bloody, and for a good thirty seconds he knows the world is something altogether other than what it appears to be." (121) ( )
8 vote lit_chick | Jul 6, 2014 |
This book contains some beautiful language about the hard life of trying to make a living off the land in Northern Colorado. It is not at all surprising that the author is a poet. He grew up on the Colorado/Wyoming border listening to the stories his neighbors told about the stark land and the hold it had on them. My first association with The Meadow was through the audio version on a road trip to Colorado. I felt like the author was in the car talking to me as we laughed and cried over life and death in the shadow of the mountains. I enjoyed my reread of the book in a similar way, except that now Lyle, Ray, Frank, Clara, and the others feel like old family friends. This is definitely going to be one of my comfort reads. ( )
1 vote Donna828 | Aug 25, 2013 |

An American Library Association Notable Book

In discrete disclosures joined with the intricacy of a spider's web, James Galvin depicts the hundred-year history of a meadow in the arid mountains of the Colorado/Wyoming border. Galvin describes the seasons, the weather, the wildlife, and the few people who do not possess but are themselves possessed by this terrain. In so doing he reveals an experience that is part of our heritage and mythology. For Lyle, Ray, Clara, and App, the struggle to survive on an independent family ranch is a series of blameless failures and unacclaimed successes that illuminate the Western character. The Meadow evokes a sense of place that can be achieved only by someone who knows it intimately.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:29 -0400)

Describes the lives of Lyle, Ray, Clara, and the Western terrain of the meadow where they settled, discussing their triumphs and tragedies

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,951,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible