Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern

Where Rainbows End (edition 2004)

by Cecelia Ahern

Member:Apolline
Title:Where Rainbows End
Authors:Cecelia Ahern
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2004), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern (Author)

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (aliciagarcia)
    aliciagarcia: Si te gustó Posdata: te amo y disfrutaste con la película, Un regalo del cielo te encantará. A mí me está entusiasmando.
    Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (BhGardengirl)
    The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot (krizia_lazaro)

English (68)  German (5)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (78)
I bought this book because my girl friend kept telling me it is a must! So I bought it. When I saw it was written in letters, I closed it and didn't look at it for like 2 years. One day I felt very down and it looked so pink so I read it and without knowing how, I was in the middle rooting for Alex and Rosie to please be together!! *Spoilers* Though the ending is upsetting to me, they waited forever to be together but it was a happy one too, I loved this book because it was so real and touchingly human and I laughed for days about her stupid husband being beaten by the guys Rosie drunkenly spoke to at the bar!! I guess this is my favorite part in the book. And of course I loved Ruby!! Great Pal. When I was finally done, I thanked my friend for recommending this book, I just loved it!!

From the parts that made me laugh, this one was the best... you know when Rosie is depressed and she enters this shady bar and meet two criminal looking guys (they turn out to be criminals alright) and she tells them about her asshole ex-husband. When she discovers what happens to him, I just can't stop laughing! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Life for Rosie Dunne and Alex Stewart, best friends since early childhood, begins and ends with one thing: their loyalty to each other. And over decades filled with career changes and derailments, marriages and divorces, infidelity and trust, parenthood and grieving, they’ve braved barriers across an ocean to remain close and share life’s dalliances, dramas and joys.

Cecelia Ahern’s Where Rainbows End is the story of Alex and Rosie’s lives, told exclusively through letters, emails, instant messages and texts sent between them and their wide assortment of family and friends. Part novel and part confessional, Ahern’s story works effectively to bring to life two people who never stopped loving each other — though destiny seemed to conspire to keep them apart.

It was easy to love Rosie, a young Irish woman who tried so hard to make her parents proud — but struggled mightily to find her footing in life. At the age of 18, she becomes pregnant with Katie, and the two work hard to establish a life for themselves as Rosie bounces from job to job in search of her “calling” — which turns out to involve the managing of hotels, the object of her devotion since childhood. Alex, likewise, comes across as the steadfastly devoted friend and father as he moves from Dublin to Boston, where he begins his career as a cardiologist. Though miles apart, Rosie and Alex keep up with one another by maintaining a steady stream of contact — except when things get too sticky.

Favorite characters included Ruby, Rosie’s well-meaning but straight-shooting best friend, who seemed to be the only one talking sense at some points; Stephanie, Rosie’s sister who marries a Frenchmen and lives a fascinating life in Paris; and Katie, Rosie’s ambitious and free-spirited daughter, one who loves her mother fiercely but also possesses a sense of adventure not unlike her own mother’s. I also loved seeing a loyal, loving and functional family — Dennis and Alice Dunne, Rosie’s parents, would do anything to help her in her quest to expand beyond Dublin and make hers a life really worth living. Stephanie and Kevin, Rosie’s siblings, were realistically drawn and compassionate, though I wanted to give Kev a good shake a few times!

Writing a novel that talks about 50 years of one's life may sound dragging. But keeping the content interesting is a great challenge that Cecilia handled so well. Believe me, it's not dragging! Not even once! If you like stories about childhood friendship, subtle romance and a bit of humor scattered throughout, you will enjoy this book! ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
Rosie and Alex are best friends from childhood, and grow up together. Alex and his family then move to the USA... Rosie hopes to follow after being accepted for a college course... then circumstances change, and her life is never the same again.

It's a light-hearted book, written in an unusual style comprising notes, emails, letters and instant chat messages. There's no narrative at all, other than a brief conclusion. Yet the story is told well, in a reasonably fast-paced way that spans several decades.

The ending was somewhat inevitable after much heartbreak and many misunderstandings, but overall I thought it an enjoyable read, if not as good as some of the author's other books. Three and a half stars, really. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
For chick lit, I thought this was quite good. Parts of it were laugh-out-loud funny. The letter/e-mail/instant message style did get tiresome, occasionally, but the well-drawn characters and snappy dialogue made up for it. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |

Ahern, CeceliaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mimmie
To Alex: You are invited to my 7th birthday party on Tuesday the 8th of April in my house.
Our life is made up of time. Our days are measured in hours, our pay measured by those hours, our knowledge is measured by years. We grab a quick few minutes in our busy day to have a coffee break. We rush back to our desks, we watch the clock, we live by appointments. And yet time eventually runs out and you wonder in your heart of hearts if those seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades were spent the best way they possibly could.
British Title, Where Rainbows End. American titles, Love, Rosie & Rosie Dunne

The new novel from the number 1 bestselling author of PS, I Love You is a bittersweet tale of childhood friends Rosie and Alex whose relationship must survive many trials and tribulations, not least the discovery of their true feelings for one another. From naughty children to rebellious teenagers, Rosie and Alex have stuck by each other through thick and thin. But just as they're discovering the joys of teenage nights on the town and dating disasters, they're separated. Alex's family moves from Dublin to America -- and Alex goes with them. For good. Rosie's lost without her best friend. But on the eve of her departure to join Alex in Boston, Rosie gets news that will change her life forever -- and keep her at home in Ireland. Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of each other's lives but neither of them knows whether their friendship can really survive the years and miles -- as well as new relationships. And at the back of Rosie's mind is whether they were meant to be more than just good friends all along. Misunderstandings, circumstances and sheer bad luck have kept them out of each others' arms, but when presented with the ultimate opportunity, will they gamble everything -- including their friendship -- for true love? Destiny, Alex and Rosie discover, is a funny thing and fate isn't quite done with them yet...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

Destiny as Alex and Rose discover is a funny thing and it isn't quite done with them yet... Rosie and Alex have a strong friendship which has carried them from naughty children to rebellious teenagers. Then suddenly they are seperated. Alex's family moves from Dublin to America and Alex goes with them for good. Rosie is lost without him and plans to join Alex in Boston are stopped when Rosie gets news that will change her life forever and keep her in Ireland. Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of life, but will their relationship survive the years and miles that seperate them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible