Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern

Where Rainbows End (edition 2004)

by Cecelia Ahern

Member:Apolline
Title:Where Rainbows End
Authors:Cecelia Ahern
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2004), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern (Author)

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (aliciagarcia)
    aliciagarcia: Si te gustó Posdata: te amo y disfrutaste con la película, Un regalo del cielo te encantará. A mí me está entusiasmando.
    Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (BhGardengirl)
    The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot (krizia_lazaro)

English (54)  German (4)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (62)
*review to come* ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
Rosie and Alex are best friends, have been for years, they can't quite pinpoint the moment their friendship developed into something more but it did and this is their story.

Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository

----------------------------------------

*This is NOT a spoiler free review*

You have been warned.

First off you need to be EXTREMELY patient in order to read this book and not throw it across the room- multiple times.

I thought it was going to be a sweet, romantic, love story. Instead it was irritating and slow as hell.

If you're a Gilmore Girls fan you'll remember the conversation that Lorelei had with Sookie, about dating and not wanting to get with Luke when she's 80+ years old and only have an ending. She wants a beginning and a middle and an ending.

Rosie and Alex had an ending.

It was so infuriating to read a 500 page book and like most if not all of it and then have the ending slap you in the face.

I wanted them to end up together so badly and yes in the end (the very, very, very end) they did but what's the point of having just an ending?

Love, Rosie is told in emails, letters and notes, while that did make me fly through the book faster than I would have had it been written in story form I have to say it didn't help with my love/hate relationship towards it.

It almost felt like each chapter was an episode guide synopsis, it had a short overview for that week or month or even year but the details were lacking and thus the feelings and emotions were subpar at the most.

I felt no real connection with the characters, let alone what was happening to them or around them.

I feel like this would have been an amazing book had it not been spread out over so many years.

I specifically read this before I rented to movie and I only pray that the movie (for once) is better than the book.

Until next time,
Ginger ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Apr 4, 2015 |
I can't rate this book. it's just impossible. At times I loved it so much, at others I hated it and wanted to just put it down but I couldn't. I have so many mixed feelings about it. I spent two days agonizing, feeling the love, the hurt, the wait ... It was such a journey. It certainly is one of the greatest yet saddest love story I've ever read. I'm just glad it had a happy ending or else I'll be looking for a shrink.

------------

Two months later, I'm here to rate it :) Five stars of course !!

------------

I just watched the movie, and all the feelings rushed through me. I'm a mess again

Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |
I read this all in one night. All 500 pages. I laughed, I cried, and I laughed and cried some more. But in the end, I just felt sad. I'm not sure what made me sad about it, but even though all of my questions were answered and everything was tied up in the end, I just felt weird about it. That's not to say I wouldn't read it again and I didn't highly enjoy the book, but something about it made me more sad than happy.

I also found myself getting more emotional about little things in the book than big things. I'm not sure why, but that's just what happened. ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
Sometimes, the events instigating the discovery of a good book isn’t exactly “word of mouth”. This is at least the 4th time I have come across an eclectic story I would have otherwise missed, if not for the wonders of the Internet and the almost retaliatory and abusive nature of movie trailers. I found Where Rainbows End by cycling through YouTube movie trailers, putting off, well, more important things. The movie, in case anyone was curious, is called Love, Rosie, which is coincidentally the United States title of Where Rainbows End.

Enough with the idiosyncratic back story though.

Where Rainbows End is by all accounts a rather generic story. Boy meets girl. Girl meets boy. They fall in love. All coupled by the fairly mundane twist that they are childhood friends. In theory, this book should be subsumed by clichés. Certainly, it looks like someone took two sheets of metal (our main characters) and welded them together with an acetylene torch (the ad hoc trope/cliché of boy/girl romance). And, depending on your particular feelings about industrial art and high school shop class, it almost makes it out unscathed except for some unfortunate business with an epilogue.

Ahern’s 2004 novel follows two best friends, Alex Stewart and Rosie Dunne, from their first meeting, when they are all of seven years old, through the end of their mid-50s. It follows their friendship as they grow up, go to college (in Rosie’s case get knocked up) and live their lives. Alex and Rosie are very much in love and just as oblivious to the reciprocal nature of their emotions. This minor detail (often referred to in my own life as a miscommunication of epic proportions) entwines their co-existence as perpetual best friends as Life conspires to keep them separate through such plot devices as children, one night stands, and inexplicable marriages to the wrong persons.

Where Rainbows End is told through a series of IM chats, emails, and letters. For the most part these exchanges are brief, centering around a myriad of different characters who support Alex and Rosie in their lives as friends and foils.

It is also most assuredly worth reading.

Full Review:
https://sypherhawq.wordpress.com/2015/02/07/book-review-where-rainbows-end-aka-love-rosie-by/ ( )
  sypherhawq | Feb 7, 2015 |

Ahern, CeceliaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mimmie
To Alex: You are invited to my 7th birthday party on Tuesday the 8th of April in my house.
Our life is made up of time. Our days are measured in hours, our pay measured by those hours, our knowledge is measured by years. We grab a quick few minutes in our busy day to have a coffee break. We rush back to our desks, we watch the clock, we live by appointments. And yet time eventually runs out and you wonder in your heart of hearts if those seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades were spent the best way they possibly could.
British Title, Where Rainbows End. American titles, Love, Rosie & Rosie Dunne

The new novel from the number 1 bestselling author of PS, I Love You is a bittersweet tale of childhood friends Rosie and Alex whose relationship must survive many trials and tribulations, not least the discovery of their true feelings for one another. From naughty children to rebellious teenagers, Rosie and Alex have stuck by each other through thick and thin. But just as they're discovering the joys of teenage nights on the town and dating disasters, they're separated. Alex's family moves from Dublin to America -- and Alex goes with them. For good. Rosie's lost without her best friend. But on the eve of her departure to join Alex in Boston, Rosie gets news that will change her life forever -- and keep her at home in Ireland. Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of each other's lives but neither of them knows whether their friendship can really survive the years and miles -- as well as new relationships. And at the back of Rosie's mind is whether they were meant to be more than just good friends all along. Misunderstandings, circumstances and sheer bad luck have kept them out of each others' arms, but when presented with the ultimate opportunity, will they gamble everything -- including their friendship -- for true love? Destiny, Alex and Rosie discover, is a funny thing and fate isn't quite done with them yet...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:20 -0400)

Destiny as Alex and Rose discover is a funny thing and it isn't quite done with them yet... Rosie and Alex have a strong friendship which has carried them from naughty children to rebellious teenagers. Then suddenly they are seperated. Alex's family moves from Dublin to America and Alex goes with them for good. Rosie is lost without him and plans to join Alex in Boston are stopped when Rosie gets news that will change her life forever and keep her in Ireland. Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of life, but will their relationship survive the years and miles that seperate them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible