Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern

Where Rainbows End (edition 2004)

by Cecelia Ahern

Member:Apolline
Title:Where Rainbows End
Authors:Cecelia Ahern
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2004), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern (Author)

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (aliciagarcia)
    aliciagarcia: Si te gustó Posdata: te amo y disfrutaste con la película, Un regalo del cielo te encantará. A mí me está entusiasmando.
    Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (BhGardengirl)
    The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot (krizia_lazaro)

English (58)  German (5)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (67)
I freaking loved this one so so so much. It was stressing me out how they couldnt get together all throughout their lives.. But then without that, there wouldnt be a story. There are a lot of things that are different than the movie, but thats what made it a gem ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jul 23, 2015 |
I had to return this book to the library after I'd only read the first few chapters but I can see I would enjoy finishing it. A book in letters between out romantic protagonists that starts from childhood birthday invitations and misunderstandings through teens years. I look forward to coming back to this. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
We are introduced to Alex and Rosie through the notes they pass back and forth in grade school. Alex and Rosie are best friends. As they grow, so does their means of communication. They progress from notes, to letters through to emails and IM’s and then surprisingly back to letters again. As close as they are and as much as they believe that they share everything … they don’t. It’s that one thing they do not share that causes all the problems.

This book is written and read using various means of written communication. At the beginning of the book I thought it was a really cute idea, imaging little ones writing notes in school (complete with the spelling mistakes little ones make), folding them up in some secret way and passing them to each other under their desks. Then when we progressed to letters and emails I began to wonder if these people had telephones they could pick up to actually speak to each other. By the middle of the book I was frustrated that I was getting all the news about their lives second hand. By the end of the book, which was predictable from page one, I was beyond frustrated (and angry that Alex stubbornly refused to spell “know” correctly).

This was a cute story, with some shining moments – I loved Rosie’s friend Ruth – but I was relieved when I turned the last page.

I do have to give kudos to Ms. Ahren who, at only 23, has had two of her books optioned for movies. “P.S. I Love You” was quite successful but I am curious to see how this story, told through correspondence, will be handled by Hollywood. I’ll likely skip the movie itself, but I am curious.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This book, called Where Rainbows End abroad, is one of those stories in the vein of Jojo Moyes, that will have you laughing and crying all at once, and continuously throughout the story. The main character, Rosie, is a good-hearted girl we first meet at the age of five, who is writing notes back and forth with her new best friend Alex. We continue to follow the lives of Rosie and Alex and their families and friends as they grow up, with the two of them remaining best friends throughout the ups and downs of their lives, separated by both place and circumstance.

We grow to love them both and hope for the best for them, especially Rosie, who, it seems, just when she is going to get what she wants, gets kicked down again. But brave and admirable Rosie just keeps getting back up on her feet and trying again.

Evaluation: This is a wonderful story, quite well done, told almost entirely in the form of correspondence (emails, letters, and instant messages) over a span of 45 years. While there is much humor in the book, and the characters are dear, I cried for the entire last third of the book, wanting so much for Rosie finally to catch a break.

Although the ending was satisfactory, I would love to see a sequel!

Note: Although the book isn’t new (it was originally published in 2004), it was no doubt recently reissued because of the release of a movie version in the U.K. (which I have not yet seen). ( )
  nbmars | May 11, 2015 |
*review to come* ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |

Ahern, CeceliaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mimmie
To Alex: You are invited to my 7th birthday party on Tuesday the 8th of April in my house.
Our life is made up of time. Our days are measured in hours, our pay measured by those hours, our knowledge is measured by years. We grab a quick few minutes in our busy day to have a coffee break. We rush back to our desks, we watch the clock, we live by appointments. And yet time eventually runs out and you wonder in your heart of hearts if those seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades were spent the best way they possibly could.
British Title, Where Rainbows End. American titles, Love, Rosie & Rosie Dunne

The new novel from the number 1 bestselling author of PS, I Love You is a bittersweet tale of childhood friends Rosie and Alex whose relationship must survive many trials and tribulations, not least the discovery of their true feelings for one another. From naughty children to rebellious teenagers, Rosie and Alex have stuck by each other through thick and thin. But just as they're discovering the joys of teenage nights on the town and dating disasters, they're separated. Alex's family moves from Dublin to America -- and Alex goes with them. For good. Rosie's lost without her best friend. But on the eve of her departure to join Alex in Boston, Rosie gets news that will change her life forever -- and keep her at home in Ireland. Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of each other's lives but neither of them knows whether their friendship can really survive the years and miles -- as well as new relationships. And at the back of Rosie's mind is whether they were meant to be more than just good friends all along. Misunderstandings, circumstances and sheer bad luck have kept them out of each others' arms, but when presented with the ultimate opportunity, will they gamble everything -- including their friendship -- for true love? Destiny, Alex and Rosie discover, is a funny thing and fate isn't quite done with them yet...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

Destiny as Alex and Rose discover is a funny thing and it isn't quite done with them yet... Rosie and Alex have a strong friendship which has carried them from naughty children to rebellious teenagers. Then suddenly they are seperated. Alex's family moves from Dublin to America and Alex goes with them for good. Rosie is lost without him and plans to join Alex in Boston are stopped when Rosie gets news that will change her life forever and keep her in Ireland. Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of life, but will their relationship survive the years and miles that seperate them.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,394,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible