The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy by Maya…

The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy

by Maya Slater

1983790,406 (3.26)40

Okay, I'm a sucker for Jane Austen. Still, this book seemed to fill in the blanks better and felt more accurate than other Jane-Austen's-Darcy-inspired works. I appreciated that we didn't hear the exact phrases from the book repeated and instead experienced Darcy's reaction to them (and other experiences). ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
It was really cool, I was amazed on how it matched
with the occurrences in the Pride and Prejudice,
and how it made possible to know Mr. Darcy's thoughts
during those times.. ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
I didn’t like it. And it wasn’t good enough to merit much of a review. Of course, the usual caveat applies: I generally don’t think well of books done in diary format.

But my dislike goes beyond format. The whole purpose of this type of format is to introduce the reader into the characters psyche, and yes that includes some deep dark secrets. But this was just, well, well all wrong.

Ms. Slater’s Darcy is a lecher–but a lecher with a softer side. On the one hand he diddles the help on the other he catalogs his vast library by creating, wait for it, a card catalog. He is supposedly dearest friends with the poet Byron and while he doesn’t “approve” of Byron’s general behavior, he ends up in the midst of an orgy at Byron’s manner.

The rest of the characters are off as well–Bingley is utterly spineless, much more so than the original would imply and yet he ends up with more moral character than Darcy. Understand, I am intrigued by the whole dark side potential of the brooding Darcy, but this isn’t it.

I just don’t have much more to say. It’s boring. The writing is weak. Darcy is weak. Save yourself some time and money. Pass. ( )
  mullgirl | Jun 8, 2015 |
Before this summer I had never heard of the term ' fanfiction'. I had never seen a blog where somebody undertook the retelling of a three-part novel from the other character's pov. I guess this novel, a retelling of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's pov, could be characterized as fanfiction.
This fanfiction works. The language has a genuine feel to it, it seems in keeping with the period, including euphemisms and sensual imagery.
The author's interpretation of Darcy seems believable and in character with Austen's Darcy. Same for the other characters from the original novel.
But what's more important: the new viewpoint adds something to the story. Ever wondered when and how Darcy started to love Elizabeth? How Bingley was persuaded Jane was no good for him and what he did during their separation? This story will tell you that, along with some surprizing ' facts' about the supporting characters in the novel (Lady Catherine, cousin Anne, Georgiana). ( )
  Bluerabella | Apr 1, 2013 |
Have you ever wondered what goes on in another person's mind while doing things? What do you think a butcher thinks while chopping off a large pound of meat? What a schoolteacher thinks while writing lectures on the board apart from the lesson at hand? What a man thinks while he is being lectured upon by his wife? In Mr. Darcy's Diary, a classic retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice through Mr. Darcy's eyes explores this gentleman's mind frame through the entries in his diary. And I must say, the story is presented as seamlessly and as accurately as I could have imagined it. Fitzwilliam Darcy is my favorite character (don't we all?) as he often appears aloof, proud, and silent, and his personality alludes to mystery, which I always love. Which is why, as soon as I saw this book, I grabbed it from the shelf.

Mr. Darcy's Diary attempted to shed light on some mysteries in the original novel, giving the readers an understanding of Wickham's treachery, shedding light on Miss Caroline's true motives and feelings, and also showing a sympathetic, sensitive, and passionate man beneath the strong, reserved, and proud facade that is Mr. Darcy himself. I have always speculated about how the men feels in Pride and Prejudice, as the original novel seems to be more focused on the Bennet family. In this book, it served to make me love my favorite characters in the original novel more. Elizabeth definitely deserves a man as passionate and as in love with her as Mr. Darcy was. This diary is realistically written, with brief recollections of day-to-day events in Mr. Darcy's life, yet never seeming to lose any detail.

The author has also brought humor to the book through the relationship between Mr. Darcy and Peebles, his valet. The latter's obsession with his master's grooming and fashion provides some comedic banters and lightens an otherwise brooding and serious story.

Before reading this book, I actually reread Pride and Prejudice again, just so I won't be easily fooled by this book, but to my pleasant surprise, the story in this book blended seamlessly into the original novel, it was like reading an actual sequel. Hands down to Maya Slater - this was a risky endeavor for her - Pride and Prejudice is one of the most well-loved of the classics, and a careless handling of its story may prove fatal for the story, if not for the one who wrote it. But reading through this book, I would have not wanted it any other way.

A lesson in pride: this book showed how Mr. Darcy has shed his pride in the face of true love. As you read through the passages of his diary, you'll be shocked at how this proud man crumbled in the face of rejection and loneliness, and how it helped him become the man that finally deserved Elizabeth's love.

A lesson in empathy: this book teaches the reader that other people have minds and feelings too, despite their outward reactions and affectations, inside they have their own thoughts, not all of which may be agreeable or nice, or, in Mr. Darcy's case, not very "Mr. Darcy." ( )
  buoyread | Dec 14, 2010 |

Is a retelling of

For Nicky,

with love
All day I had G's letter on my mind, yet could not bring myself to dwell on it.
The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy is the North American title for the work originally published in the UK as Mr. Darcy's Diary.

Literature’s most famous romantic hero opens his diary: it’s intimate, dramatic, deeply passionate, and sometimes downright shocking.

Have you ever wondered what Mr. Darcy was really thinking? Find out his secrets in this captivating novel of love, pride, passion, and, of course, prejudice. Mr. Darcy’s intimate diary reveals his entanglements with women, his dangerous friendship with Lord Byron, his daily life in Georgian London, his mercurial mood swings calmed only by fisticuffs at Jackson’s—and, most importantly, his vain struggle to conquer his longing for Elizabeth Bennet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

Mr. Darcy's intimate diary reveals his entanglements with women, his dangerous friendship with Lord Byron, his daily life in Georgian London, his mercurial mood swings calmed only by fisticuffs at Jackson's--and, most importantly, his vain struggle to conquer his longing for Elizabeth Bennet.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maya Slater's book The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy: A Novel was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Maya Slater is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,248,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible