The Mysteries by Lisa Tuttle

The Mysteries (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Lisa Tuttle

Member:TribalCat
Title:The Mysteries
Authors:Lisa Tuttle
Info:Spectra (2005), Paperback, 384 pages

The Mysteries by Lisa Tuttle (2005)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (ehines)
    ehines: Regular guy stumbles into the secret realm. In Neverwhere this secret realm is very much a London one; in the Mysteries it is decidedly an old Celtic one. Also Never where turns into a full-blown fantasy adventure, while the Mysteries stays mostly realistic.

English (7)  Italian (1)  All languages (8)
The book started very well. It had these asides where documented disappearances were described. I enjoyed the sections, and would google the names to find more details. The plot started off well, with cool ideas and well executed. The book didn't stay interesting though. The asides became annoying and not seemed to be based on actual events. The plot dragged in places, seemed to just be filler. I am not sure exactly what the ending was all about, and wasn't interested in thinking about it and re-reading it to try and figure it out. 240 members; 3.39 average rating; 3/17/2018 ( )
  mainrun | Apr 9, 2018 |
Is it a detective novel? No. A thriller? No. Mystery? No. Fairytale? No. Fantasy? No. The truth is it's all of those things. Its seductive charm pulling me in, and not letting me go. Making me wonder, believe and disbelief.

It's the story of Ian Kennedy, an American working in London as a PI. His new case is about a girl gone missing 2 years ago. Why did Peri go missing? She was happy? Was it foul play? But then why did she call 6 months later? The more he investigates, the stranger it gets. And he is not new to strange. He had another case years ago that made him interested in things most people believe to be fairytales.

Scattered though out the book are small stories about people, I guess real stories? About people have gone missing. People taken by the Fae. Yes you so, hello, I call myself Blodeuedd online, of course I love Celtic mythology. So stories about the Tuatha de Dannan brings out my attention. Makes me wonder about every hill and what kind of fairies might be sleeping there.

But this is a mystery after all. He gets closer and closer to the answer. Will he find Peri, or can she not be found? Is she dead? Murdered long ago? I kept reading and hoping. And then the end, aww yes I want to read more of her books. She has a lovely style.

Now who to recommend it to? Honestly everyone. If you like fantasy, yes. Fairytales, yes. Mysteries and detective novels, yes. Just normal fiction, yes. So, go read it. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
An urban fantasy along the lines of Gaiman's Neverwhere. Not quite as good as that one--for instance, the transition from skepticism to belief, which happens to several characters, isn't done believably--but good characters and a very well-elaborated central theme, good writing throughout. ( )
  ehines | Nov 2, 2014 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
We can see the people upon all sides,
But by no one can we be seen;
The clouds of Adam's transgression it is
That prevents them from seeing us.

Mider to Etain
They did not know her—gods are hard for mortals to recognize.

—Homeric Hymn to Demeter
mystery n. a secret doctrine;
anything very obscure;
that which is beyond human knowledge to explain;
anything artfully made difficult;
a sacrament;
a miracle play;
a shiftless, drifting girl.
To Rob and Sarah,
dear friends and generous hosts
The strangest memory of my childhood concerns my father's disappearance.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358734X, Paperback)

From award-winning author Lisa Tuttle comes a riveting novel that combines the contemporary story of one man’s search for a missing young woman with history’s most enduring legends of the disappeared. Gripping and unforgettable, here is a spellbinding mix of the mysteries that inhabit our everyday lives–and a mind-bending exploration of what happens when someone vanishes without a trace.

Ever since his father disappeared when he was nine years old, Ian Kennedy has had a penchant for stories about missing people–and a knack for finding them. Now he’s a private investigator with an impressive track record. But when a woman enters his London office and asks him to find her lost daughter, Ian faces a case he fears he cannot solve–and one he knows he must.

Laura Lensky’s stunning twenty-one-year-old daughter, Peri, has been missing for over two years–a lifetime, under the circumstances. But when Ian learns the details of her disappearance, he discovers eerie parallels to an obscure Celtic myth–and to the haunting case that launched his career, an early success he’s never fully been able to explain. Though Ian suspects Peri may have chosen to vanish, his curiosity leads him to take on the search. Soon he finds himself drawing not only from the mysteries that have preoccupied his adulthood, but from the fables and folklore that pervaded his youth. What follows is a journey that takes Ian and those who care for Peri into the Highlands of Scotland, as the unknowns of the past and present merge in the case–and in their lives.
Rich in pathos and steeped in secrets, The Mysteries opens a thought-provoking door from one world into the heart of another, where some of our most perplexing enigmas–and their answers–are startlingly alive.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

"After nearly being killed by both a hired hit man and her former secretary, Agatha Raisin could use some low-key cases. So when Robert Smedley walks through the door, determined to prove that his wife is cheating, Raisin Investigations immediately offers to help. Trouble is, Agatha hates divorce cases - especially when the client is as pompous as Smedley - but she has a business to run and she's not about to turn away a paying customer. Unfortunately for Agatha, Mabel Smedley appears to be the perfect wife - young and pretty and a regular volunteer at church." "Although Smedley's case doesn't look promising, Agatha's attentions are diverted when she stumbles across the body of missing teenager Jessica Bradley. In a sudden gesture of kindness (and good public relations), Agatha offers to investigate Jessica's death free of charge."."Agatha's two biggest cases are turned upside down when Robert Smedley is poisoned. The prime suspect, his sainted wife, Mabel, immediately hires Agatha to find the real killer." "With the help of her old friend Sir Charles Fraith and some newly hired staff, Agatha Raisin sets off on another crime-solving adventure in the English Cotswolds."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,137,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible