Beg for Mercy by Toni Andrews

Beg for Mercy

by Toni Andrews

Alienating herself from everyone around her due to her dangerous power, Mercy Hollings, gifted or cursed with the ability to control people, must learn to use her anger for good when a new threat emerges.
    What's A Ghoul To Do? by Victoria Laurie (lookitisheef)
    lookitisheef: Both series have "everyday" women with supernatural abilities taking on mysteries and curious happenings.

From the very beginning of this book I flat-out liked Mercy Hollings. Sure, she's isolated herself for the good of others, which is not a trope I particularly love, but she's pretty bad at it, and she's starting to realize she's become a part of a community whether she wanted to or not.

Her powers--the ability to persuade people to do whatever she wants--are pretty cool, and she uses them to help her friends. In the case of her friend Sukey's abusive boyfriend, using her powers gets her into a mess of trouble but might also lead to knowledge about her past that she needs to know. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
"I though this was a great start for a paranormal series. Mercy has a special ability to make people do things she wants. I love the characters a...more"I though this was a great start for a paranormal series. Mercy has a special ability to make people do things she wants. I love the characters and the writing. It was an interesting read." ( )
  lizard_698959 | Jan 9, 2011 |
This has potential, that isn't quite realised. Mercy Hollings has an ability to make people do what she wants them to do. She calls this the Press. She tries to control it but it frightens her, though sometimes when she gets angry there's nothing she can do about it.

It shows potential and I would like to read more by this author at some stage, I'm just not sure that I want to continue with this obvious romance masquerading as a paranormal novel. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 1, 2009 |
I can’t help but think that Sam is a bit of a twit for trusting Mercy under these circumstances… okay, she’s hot – but surely all the other alarm bells going off would counter that? Or perhaps not! This is a great premise and a has one of the best opening chapters I’ve read in the genre but unfortunately the execution didn’t live up to the promise. Very easy reading, just not remarkable reading. ( )
  ph8 | Jul 25, 2009 |
This review was originally posted on my review blog : http://fallingofftheshelf.blogspot.com

I'm not sure why I waited as long as I did to finally pick this book up. I've literally had it on my to be read pile for a couple of months. The description alone had me intrigued, but then again, a lot of books intrigue me (and a lot of books are sitting on that same pile that this one finally came off of). I'm extremely happy I read this book though, it was a lot different than other paranormals, and for that reason alone I think I enjoyed it even more.

Mercy Hollings was born with the ability to command those around her to do what she wants, and they can't help but fulfill her wishes. She calls this ability 'the press'. She's not happy she has this ability, because it's caused her to feel as though she were a freak her whole life. It's also forced her to keep to herself, and not let many people in, for fear of who would find out. The last thing she wants is to become some kind of science experiment.

I thought this was an interesting ability for a paranormal heroin, especially since she doesn't have any other special abilities to back it up. She doesn't have super strength, and she can't move things with her mind. I guess that doesn't really matter when all you have to do is tell someone to do exactly what you want though.

I really liked the characters in the book, especially Mercy's best friend Sukey. She's a bubbly 30 year old woman that reminds me a little of myself. The only thing we don't have in common is that she likes big, 'beefy' biker guys, and she clings to them more than white on rice. One of the other characters that I am beginning to really like is Sam, the new guy in town that Mercy can't help but drool over. He owns his own business in the community and has a great interest in Mercy.

I'm very anxious to read the next book in this series, Angel of Mercy, which is sitting here on my to be read pile. I'm curious to see where Mercy will go from here, and how much more her ability will develop. I'm also interested in seeing how her relationship with Sam will end up.

The third novel in the Mercy Hollings Series, Cry Mercy, was just released on June 1, 2009. ( )
  jenni7202 | Jul 14, 2009 |
I've never been certain I'm human.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,987,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible