The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition by…

The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition (edition 1999)

by William Strunk Jr., E. B. White, Roger Angell (Foreword)

Member:muralijayapala
Title:The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition
Authors:William Strunk Jr.
Other authors:E. B. White, Roger Angell (Foreword)
Info:Longman (1999), Edition: 4th, Paperback, 105 pages
Tags:non-fiction, pb

The Elements of Style by Jr. William Strunk (Author)

On Writing Well by William Zinsser (chwiggy)
    The Reader Over Your Shoulder: A Handbook for Writers of English Prose by Robert Graves (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Reader Over Your Shoulder has the same sort of advice as Elements of Style, but with many interesting examples of prose written in violation of the principle they are advocating.
    Latein ist tot, es lebe Latein!: Kleine Geschichte einer großen Sprache by Wilfried Stroh (chwiggy)
    Deutsch fürs Leben: Was die Schule zu lehren vergaß by Wolf Schneider (JuliaMaria)

English (167)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (170)
I am surprised that anyone would give this book a one-star rating, and yet some people have done that. I have no arguments with them, as we each have our own view of the books we read.

For me, this is a brilliant book. I did not think that it would take me ten days to read 97 pages, but it did. The writing style is simple, and not a word is wasted. It was well worth the time I took to read the book carefully.

The rules have been laid out in a simple manner, and the examples are clear.

I like this book so much, that I ordered two paperback copies, one for my son and one for me. It is good to have this book as a handy reference.

Prof Strunk seems to have been a man of exceptional clarity of thought, and this is reflected in the manner in which he has laid out the book, and given the examples. Mr White's section is a very useful addition. It adds to the value of the book.

It is an essential guide to any aspiring writer. ( )
1 vote RajivC | May 24, 2019 |
A short book that packs in nearly everything you need to know about American grammar and style.
  JohnJGaynard | Dec 31, 2018 |
The Elements of Style is a book for writers that provides information on the best style techniques.

The Bad stuff: I found the content a little dated, but other than that I really don't have any issues with this book.

The Good stuff: There is a strong non fiction cover design. The book has some good tips and the information within has been tried and tested.

The Elements of Style is recommended by many writers and has been around for some time. It is definitely worth a read if you are starting out as a writer or want to improve your style. I'm giving this 3 out of 5 golden bookmarks. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
This style manual offers practical advice on improving writing skills. Throughout, the emphasis is on promoting a plain English style. This little book can help you communicate more effectively by showing you how to enliven your sentences.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 22, 2018 |
This is the original 1918 version, not the expansion with E.B. White's wit. Evidently, Strunk AND White is not available in a digital edition; only Strunk, because he's out of copyright. The one with Maira Kalman's illustrations is also not available in digital form. ( )
  deckla | Jul 5, 2018 |
The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

Strunk, William, Jr.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Angell, RogerForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalman, MairaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, E. B.Authorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first writer I watched at work was my stepfather, E.B. White.
1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's.
Introduction: At the close of the first World War, when I was a student at Cornell, I took a course called English 8.
[50th anniversary and 1979 editions.]
Introduction: A small book arrived in my mail not long ago, a gift from a friend in Ithica.
[1959 edition]
"The Elements of Forbidden" about 5 copies of which are buried in this work, are due to a since-corrected LibraryThing error, and are really also 'Style' works
This is the edition of The Elements of Style that was written by William Strunk and later expanded upon by E.B. White.  Please do not combine with the original, unexpanded version by Strunk alone, nor with the illustrated edition.
According to the St. Louis Dispatch, this "excellent book, which should go off to college with every freshman, is recognized as the best book of its kind we have." It should be the ". . . daily companion of anyone who writes for a living and, for that matter, anyone who writes at all" (Greensboro Daily New). "No book in shorter space, with fewer words, will help any writer more than this persistent little volume"
Excruiciating

Grammatical correctness:

Here's how to do it. (lturpin42)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 020530902X, Paperback)

You know the authors' names. You recognize the title. You've probably used this book yourself. This is The Elements of Style, the classic style manual, now in a fourth edition. A new Foreword by Roger Angell reminds readers that the advice of Strunk & White is as valuable today as when it was first offered.This book's unique tone, wit and charm have conveyed the principles of English style to millions of readers. Use the fourth edition of "the little book" to make a big impact with writing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:22 -0400)

The revisions to this edition are purposely kept minimal in order to retain the book's unique tone, wit, and charm. A new Glossary of the grammatical terms used in the book provides a convenient reference for readers. The discussion of pronoun use is revised to reflect the contemporary concern with sexist language. In addition, there are numerous slight revisions in the book itself which implement this advice. A Foreword by Roger Angell reminds readers that the advice of Strunk & White is as valuable today as when it was first offered. This book has conveyed the principles of English style to millions of readers. Use the fourth edition of "the little book" to make a big impact with writing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible