The elements of style by William Strunk

The elements of style (edition 1979)

by William Strunk, E. B. White

13,500128161 ()116
Member:hukkleberri
Title:The elements of style
Authors:William Strunk
Other authors:E. B. White
Info:Boston : Allyn and Bacon, c1979.
Collections:writing
Tags:writing, grammar

The Elements of Style by Jr. William Strunk (Author)

The Reader Over Your Shoulder: A Handbook for Writers of English Prose by Robert Graves (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Reader Over Your Shoulder has the same sort of advice as Elements of Style, but with many interesting examples of prose written in violation of the principle they are advocating.

English (127)  Italian (1)  All languages (128)
I first read this before starting a creative writing & English course at university in 2009 and read it again at the end of my degree when I decided to become a proofreader (& later a copy-editor too).

Some criticize this for being dated. In some respects it is. For example, one instruction is to write "some one" not "someone". This confused me at first, but further study of English style from more modern sources helped me define what rules were out of date in this book.

Thus, my final verdict is that this is a good investment - even Stephen King has used it and recommends that all aspiring authors invest in a copy. A good story written with bad style is not really a good story after all.

Amongst other things, this book guides you with writing well-structured sentences, advises how and when to use punctuation, and lists certain words that should be avoided for the sake of good form.

The first time I read this I found it hard going, but it appeared much more straightforward upon a second reading. Bearing this in mind, a more modern book on style may be a better first choice for someone wanting to improve their form, but once they learn the basics then reading this should be worth their while. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 11, 2015 |
I read more criticism than support of "The Elements of Style", and most of the complaints are valid. Regardless of its faults it should not be ignored or forgotten. While not always technically correct its advice is brief, direct, and positive. Don't take it too seriously and it can't hurt you.

If you write, read it. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
I got this book over a year ago, and refer to it again and again. And again. While not a thick book, this book is essential in being able to write properly, even if you just want to write an email. And one of the best things about it (to me), is its explantions on commas and apostrophes, and all those nebulous areas of grammar. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
Great book, however I disagree with their opposition to the use of singular "they". ( )
  locriian | Oct 27, 2014 |
The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

Strunk, William, Jr.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, E. B.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Angell, RogerForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalman, MairaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first writer I watched at work was my stepfather, E.B. White.
1. Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's.
Introduction: At the close of the first World War, when I was a student at Cornell, I took a course called English 8.
[50th anniversary and 1979 editions.]
Introduction: A small book arrived in my mail not long ago, a gift from a friend in Ithica.
[1959 edition]
"The Elements of Forbidden" about 5 copies of which are buried in this work, are due to a since-corrected LibraryThing error, and are really also 'Style' works
This is the edition of The Elements of Style that was written by William Strunk and later expanded upon by E.B. White.  Please do not combine with the original, unexpanded version by Strunk alone, nor with the illustrated edition.
According to the St. Louis Dispatch, this "excellent book, which should go off to college with every freshman, is recognized as the best book of its kind we have." It should be the ". . . daily companion of anyone who writes for a living and, for that matter, anyone who writes at all" (Greensboro Daily New). "No book in shorter space, with fewer words, will help any writer more than this persistent little volume"
Excruiciating

Grammatical correctness:

Here's how to do it. (lturpin42)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 020530902X, Paperback)

You know the authors' names. You recognize the title. You've probably used this book yourself. This is The Elements of Style, the classic style manual, now in a fourth edition. A new Foreword by Roger Angell reminds readers that the advice of Strunk & White is as valuable today as when it was first offered.This book's unique tone, wit and charm have conveyed the principles of English style to millions of readers. Use the fourth edition of "the little book" to make a big impact with writing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:46 -0400)

A manual conveying the principles of plain English style.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,672,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible