My War by Andy Rooney

My War

by Andy Rooney

Other authors: Tom Brokaw (Foreword)

200658,750 (3.9)4

Inside look at World War II newspaper "Stars and Stripes.". Filled wih valuable historical firsts told by a unversally beloved commentator. ( )
  selmablanche | Mar 4, 2014 |
Andy Rooney was a Sergeant during World War II. He was detailed to the military newspaper, The Stars and Stripes. He reported from England, France and Germany. At the end of the war he spent a short time reporting from India and Burma. He reported the events when our forces captured the bridge at Remagen and crossed the Rhine. I enjoyed reading his impressions of Ernest Hemingway, other reporters and some of the high ranking United States officers. He often comments on how people he met during the war made their livings afterwards. ( )
  MrDickie | Oct 13, 2012 |
War as only Andy Rooney can tell it. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Jul 26, 2009 |
Lately I've been reading stories about war, an unfortunate constant of human history, I'm afraid. Tales about WWII, or "The Last Good War" (a book I read many years ago), as Studs Terkel called it, abound, but I especailly recommend this one. My War, by Andy Rooney (yep, the same bushy-eyebrowed old grump you see on 60 Minutes every week), is a true gem, full of his homespun self-deprecating bits of humor and wisdom, along with the expected grim and grisly stories about the carnage that is war. As to the importance of his wartime experience, Rooney says right up front, "My life was never the same again." As a young reporter (his army ID photo looks startlingly like Audie Murphy, who of course penned his own memoir, To Hell and Back) for The Stars and Stripes, Rooney got up close and personal with both the air and ground wars in Europe, and also traveled to India and China, rubbing shoulders with Ernie Pyle, Bill Mauldin and Walter Cronkite. One particular line from the book has stayed with me: "I laugh, bitterly, when I hear the phrase, 'He gave his life for his country.' No one gives his life. His life is taken." Rooney is a newspaperman and a reporter, but more than anything else he is a damn fine writer who simply tells it like he sees it. - Tim Bazzett, author of Soldier Boy and Love, War & Polio ( )
1 vote TimBazzett | May 23, 2009 |
2823 My War, by Andy Rooney (read 14 Jan 1996) This was a most satisfying read. I have long enjoyed his five minutes on 60 Minutes, but never thought I would read a book by him. He was drafted in 1941 . His big break came when he was assigned to the Stars and Stripes, an Army newspaper. He actually went on a couple of bombing rids over Europe, and arrived in France a few days after D-Day. His story is unfailingly interesting. He has nothing good to say for General Patton. This is just a great book, moving, serious, funny, just exceptionally well-written. Though he had a safer war than many, he took risks and certainly is admirable. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Feb 15, 2008 |

Andy Rooneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brokaw, TomForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812925327, Hardcover)

On July 7, 1941, a young Colgate University football player named Andy Rooney reported for U.S. Army training. He was, Rooney allows, not prime military material. He had a knack for enraging the drill instructors with his wisecracks, and for pulling harsh assignments as a result, and his shenanigans got him disqualified from officer candidacy. Still, Rooney survived boot camp and served for a time as an artilleryman until being reassigned to the daily newspaper Stars and Stripes. Lucky for him, too: in 1942 his old outfit ran into trouble in North Africa, fighting against Erwin Rommel, and although few of them were killed, Rooney writes, "there's a good possibility I would have spent all of 1943, 1944, and six months of 1945 in a German prison camp."

In My War, a fine and wholeheartedly irreverent memoir, Rooney--later to gain fame as a 60 Minutes commentator--recounts what happened instead. As a correspondent, he saw combat up-close while honing his craft alongside such fellow chroniclers as Ernie Pyle and Bill Mauldin. What he witnessed will perhaps not please some survivors and students of the war, especially those who revere Gen. George S. Patton--whom Rooney charges with having committed improprieties, injustices, and even war crimes in the quest to secure personal fame.

Though the book is a personal memoir, Rooney has taken pains to square his anecdotes with the historical record. However, he writes, "It is distressing for me to note how infrequently the facts concur with my memory of what happened." (In such cases, he adds, he assumes that the facts are wrong.) Affecting, occasionally disturbing, and thoroughly well-written, Rooney's memoir is a welcome addition to the literature of "the good war." --Gregory McNamee

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:45 -0400)

A memoir in which journalist Andy Rooney shares the memories of his experiences in World War II.

PublicAffairs

An edition of this book was published by PublicAffairs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible