Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Message by K. A. Applegate

I was disappointed with this one. I remembered it as being one of the better stories in the series but on reread it was rather tedious. So much time is devoted to Cassie's moral dilemma about how morphing into intelligent creatures is as bad as being a Yeerk (note: the two things are totally different).

There is also a lot of silliness this time around, like when the Animorphs get directions from a whale (a creature that the dolphins automatically know as a Great One). Previous books aimed to realism in the portrayal of animal instincts. The way that the sea mammals behaved (such as dolphins only ever wanting to play) seemed to fly in the face about that.

However, the book did do a good job of introducing Cassie and it made for nice variety to have such an introverted narrative voice. Her motivation for fighting the Yeerks was very different from the previous three characters but seemed to suit her very well (despite, in my own opinion, lacking the emotional weight of Jake or Rachel's). The story also introduced Ax who I remember as being a very fun character. I'm looking forward to reading book 8 again to get the first story told from his perspective.

All in all, probably my least favourite story so far. Hopefully book 5 is more entertaining. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jun 23, 2016 |
A short comment for every book of the series until I get a chance to re-read them. All three of my sons and I loved this series and read every single book - I even bought every single book (most, but not all, used; some through school book sales). I'm excited to re-read them to see how the five main characters develop and to watch all the different transformations again. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A Cassie-centric book that introduces Prince Ax (Elfangor's little brother). Cassie's moralism was an interesting insight into her as a person (as well as her growth throughout the book as she has to balance the greater good with individual rights) and Ax's illustrations of exactly what the Animorphs are fighting for added heightened tension to the underlying conflict.

Despite the amount of thinking about greater issues that went on in this book, it was very action-heavy at its climax (both the major and minor climaxes), but stilled allowed quite a bit of time for fun and games and just messing around with morphing. ( )
  benuathanasia | Nov 9, 2015 |
The fourth book sees the introduction of a new character. This is largely a plotty book, rather than character development, this time, though Cassie does struggle with a couple of ethical questions. They don't seem quite convincing to me -- but it makes sense that she does ask questions, so it didn't bother me too much. It was nice to read a book in which the morphing is mostly fun and playful, and in which all of earth seems to join in on the side against the Yeerks. It's a little too touchy-feely, but with Cassie as the narrator, it's okay. She isn't really my favourite character, so that's probably why I liked this book a little less.

One thing that does get tiresome is the formula for the very first chapter. They state their names, tell you they can't tell you a lot of stuff, reintroduce morphing... I can see why, it allows people to join in mid-series, but at the same time, it gets irritating, especially when you're reading the books all at once. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Animorphs was a good series that kept me reading. Enjoyed these as a kid. ( )
  odinblindeye | Apr 2, 2013 |
Though the five children are stock characters, and the conflict is thinly developed in parts (readers never hear what the message really imparts), the descriptions of becoming and living as dolphins and other animals are impressive, as is the group's knowledge that their special powers are in reality powerful weapons not to be used lightly. Average series fare.

Cassie and Tobias have been having strange dreams about the ocean. When Jake sees a news broadcast that shows the apparent debris of an Andalite ship washed up on the beach, Cassie and Tobias both pass out and experience the vision again. This time, they clearly hear someone, or something, calling out to them for help. Everyone acquires dolphin morphs so that they can try to find the remains of the ship and the source of the message before the Yeerks do.

Cassie believes her strange dreams are just a side effect of having been given the alien power to morph into an animal, but when she learns that Tobias has been having the same dreams about the ocean, they realize someone is issuing a call for help.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,492,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible