The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Gunslinger (1982)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (1)

16,485359107 (3.84)1 / 334
    The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by S. A. Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (341)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  All (1)  Swedish (1)  All (358)
It's been many years since I first read this novel, so I was not able to identify any of the edits or additions to the story, all I know is that it is just as brilliant as I thought it was all those years ago when I bought the original and read it for the first time. My mind, as before, was blown again by the concept of the relativity of size. Maybe because I am older, it seemed to carry more depth. And as before, it leaves me eager to reread the entire series, which I will now have to do. Stephen King perfection at its best. ( )
  purplequeennl | Jul 11, 2018 |
IN PROGRESS. My first attemot at reading a Stephen King novel. It's a strange,lustful, insensible story that feels like a prologue to work that's more complete.
  aspirit | Jul 3, 2018 |
This remained me a whole hell of a lot of a Clint Eastwood western. I'm not a big fan of westerns so that throw me off a bit, not a big fan of fantasy which this book has a lot of. Because of my distaste for both westerns and fantasy's I didn't really enjoy the book as much as I would have liked but I still would like to continue the series just to see if he ever gets to the tower, thanks to the Afterward. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
When I first read this a while back I was very confused and thought "What the F&$% did I just read?!?!?" and was not sure about continuing the series. I ended up loving the series and so glad I stuck with it. Re-reading this I definitely loved it a lot more. I caught a lot of things I missed and things I don't even remember happening. I loved visiting with Roland, Jake, the Man in Black and everyone else. I'm very excited to continue my re-read of the series. ( )
  MinDea | May 30, 2018 |
This is the 2nd time reading The Gunslinger and I think I enjoyed it more the 2nd time as I had read 5 or 6 of The Dark Tower series and it seemed to make more sense to me having some knowledge of what's to come. I took my time reading it this time. I listened to the audio and read along with the book and took notes in order to be able to refer back as I am reading this as a group read. I am looking forward to reading The Drawing of the Three in June and following with the rest of the series. I would recommend this to those who have read some of King's other works as there are references to some of his other writings and this is considered his masterpiece. ( )
  EadieB | May 30, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452284694, Paperback)

Thirty-three years, a horrific and life-altering accident, and thousands of desperately rabid fans in the making, Stephen King's quest to complete his magnum opus rivals the quest of Roland and his band of gunslingers who inhabit the Dark Tower series. Loyal DT fans and new readers alike will appreciate this revised edition of The Gunslinger, which breathes new life into Roland of Gilead, and offers readers a "clearer start and slightly easier entry into Roland's world."

King writes both a new introduction and foreword to this revised edition, and the ever-patient, ever-loyal "constant reader" is rewarded with secrets to the series's inception. That a "magic" ream of green paper and a Robert Browning poem, came together to reveal to King his "ka" is no real surprise (this is King after all), but who would have thought that the squinty-eyed trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach would set the author on his true path to the Tower? While King credits Tolkien for inspiring the "quest and magic" that pervades the series, it was Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that helped create the epic proportions and "almost absurdly majestic western backdrop" of Roland's world.

To King, The Gunslinger demanded revision because once the series was complete it became obvious that "the beginning was out of sync with the ending." While the revision adds only 35 pages, Dark Tower purists will notice the changes to Allie's fate and Roland's interaction with Cort, Jake, and the Man in Black--all stellar scenes that will reignite the hunger for the rest of the series. Newcomers will appreciate the details and insight into Roland's life. The revised Roland of Gilead (nee Deschain) is embodied with more humanity--he loves, he pities, he regrets. What DT fans might miss is the same ambiguity and mystery of the original that gave the original its pulpy underground feel (back when King himself awaited word from Roland's world). --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:42 -0400)

This heroic fantasy is set in a world of ominous landscape and macabre menace that is a dark mirror of our own. A spellbinding tale of good versus evil, it features one of Stephen King's most powerful creations--The Gunslinger, a haunting figure who embodies the qualities of the lone hero through the ages from ancient myth to frontier western legend. His pursuit of The Man in Black, his liaison with the sexually ravenous Alice, his friendship with the kid from Earth called Jake, are part of the drama that is both grippingly realistic and eerily dreamlike, an alchemy of storytelling sorcery.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,294,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible