The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Gunslinger (original 1982; edition 1989)

by Stephen King

14,711317135 (3.86)1 / 274
Member:Lman
Title:The Gunslinger
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1989), Paperback, 315 pages
Collections:Ebook, Read and given away
Tags:King Stephen 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, Dark Tower series

The Gunslinger by Stephen King (1982)

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell (qofd)
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by S. A. Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (299)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  English (1)  Swedish (1)  English (316)
I always hate discovering and enjoying the inaugural novel in a book series and realizing that there are seven to follow. The Dark Tower series begin with The Gunfighter, the protagonist, Roland of Gilead and involves his initial quest for the man in black. This novel is set in a parallel universe which resembles the Old West. Confronting the man in black is only an interim task before reaching is final destination of the Dark Tower. This novel provides few clues regarding Roland's motivation. I have recently read that the series is being produced for a television series. ( )
  John_Warner | Nov 12, 2016 |
The Gunslinger is a work of beauty, it is not until you have read the rest of the Dark Tower books that you realise this.

The Gunslinger eases you into King's universe gently, focusing on Roland Deschain (The Gunslinger) and his nemesis (The man in black). Roland follows the man in black across a bleak, hostile desert that pushes the reader into a dream like post-apocalyptic world. Roland has a chance (some may call it fate) meeting with a kid from New York, Jake Chambers who explains that there are other worlds than these.

The Gunslinger is a perfect introduction to the Dark Tower series, which is possibly the greatest fantasy story of all time.

If you make it through the complete series (which I highly recommend), please come back to the Gunslinger and give it a second read. There is more to the previous statement than meets the eye, which will become apparent once the story is complete. ( )
  Jay-Freeman | Nov 4, 2016 |
My dad's been trying to get me into this series for more than twenty years, so I guess it's time I finally read them. My all-time favorite book is the Stand, and he keeps telling me I'll "get" the Stand even more if I read this series.

So I'm still not really sure what happened in this book.

I'm not good with all that symbolism stuff, so most of the book went over my head, I think. After discussing the book, in great detail, with a few others who love the series, I think I "get" it a little more, but I still don't get it. I have more questions then answers, and perhaps that's the point?

Is the Gunslinger the good guy or the bad guy? Why didn't Jake just leave the gunslinger, if he knew he was going to die (again)? What was the entire point?
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
So yeah I read this but I have no idea what it's about lol ( )
  wildrequiem | Oct 28, 2016 |
Non posso farci niente... Questi me li bevo!!! ( )
  Crissy8686 | Oct 6, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452284694, Paperback)

Thirty-three years, a horrific and life-altering accident, and thousands of desperately rabid fans in the making, Stephen King's quest to complete his magnum opus rivals the quest of Roland and his band of gunslingers who inhabit the Dark Tower series. Loyal DT fans and new readers alike will appreciate this revised edition of The Gunslinger, which breathes new life into Roland of Gilead, and offers readers a "clearer start and slightly easier entry into Roland's world."

King writes both a new introduction and foreword to this revised edition, and the ever-patient, ever-loyal "constant reader" is rewarded with secrets to the series's inception. That a "magic" ream of green paper and a Robert Browning poem, came together to reveal to King his "ka" is no real surprise (this is King after all), but who would have thought that the squinty-eyed trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach would set the author on his true path to the Tower? While King credits Tolkien for inspiring the "quest and magic" that pervades the series, it was Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that helped create the epic proportions and "almost absurdly majestic western backdrop" of Roland's world.

To King, The Gunslinger demanded revision because once the series was complete it became obvious that "the beginning was out of sync with the ending." While the revision adds only 35 pages, Dark Tower purists will notice the changes to Allie's fate and Roland's interaction with Cort, Jake, and the Man in Black--all stellar scenes that will reignite the hunger for the rest of the series. Newcomers will appreciate the details and insight into Roland's life. The revised Roland of Gilead (nee Deschain) is embodied with more humanity--he loves, he pities, he regrets. What DT fans might miss is the same ambiguity and mystery of the original that gave the original its pulpy underground feel (back when King himself awaited word from Roland's world). --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:42 -0400)

First portion of an epic story of a fantastic world of good versus evil in which the hero, The Gunslinger, pursues The Man in Black.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,694,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible