The Dark Tower The Gunslinger by Stephen…

The Dark Tower The Gunslinger (edition 1982)

by Stephen King

Collections:2012
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, postapocalyptic, quest, AD, 12 in 12

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell (qofd)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: There are thematic connections between the first story of Hearts in Atlantis and The Dark Tower series.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (240)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (257)
I really enjoyed the vibe of The Gunslinger. King's storytelling is always a given, but there is just something about the feel of the opening book of The Dark Tower books that grabbed hold of my imagination and won't let go. I've never read any of them, but I already know from this first short book that I'm going to be reading the entire seven-book series...and enjoying it completely. ( )
  csayban | Oct 6, 2014 |
Meh. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I think my expectations were very high for The Gunslinger, probably far too high. But I've been told for years I should read this series and that I would simply LOVE this series. So it's hard not to get your expectations sky-high.

It was a weird experience for me. I've finished this book last week, and still don't really know how to feel about it. The style was different and quite nice, but it took me a very long time before I felt any connection with the story. (I'm not sure there is any actually). I haven't read enough books by Stephen King to get a lot of the references (and I love references to other books), but I know the Dark Towers series is crowded with them. I don't have the nostalgic feeling either, as this is my first read. I'll definitely continue the series, as I've been told that the first book is the worst in the series, and hope I'll like the other books better! ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
I read this the first time when I was a teenager, and I'm very glad I decided to reread it. I had forgotten so much of the story, but it all started coming back to me as I read, and I discovered that it holds up to the high praise I gave it all those years ago. I'm looking forward to the next book! ( )
  ReadingWench | Sep 12, 2014 |
Read this book in high school. Didn't remember too much so I reread it last month. Like the book, not one of my favorites. You will find a melting pot of horror, fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, and western thrown together into a decent book. Maybe I'll read the next one, but this book didn't hook me like a lot of his stand alone novels do. We'll see how the rest of the series is ( )
  PhxDan | Aug 28, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452284694, Paperback)

Thirty-three years, a horrific and life-altering accident, and thousands of desperately rabid fans in the making, Stephen King's quest to complete his magnum opus rivals the quest of Roland and his band of gunslingers who inhabit the Dark Tower series. Loyal DT fans and new readers alike will appreciate this revised edition of The Gunslinger, which breathes new life into Roland of Gilead, and offers readers a "clearer start and slightly easier entry into Roland's world."

King writes both a new introduction and foreword to this revised edition, and the ever-patient, ever-loyal "constant reader" is rewarded with secrets to the series's inception. That a "magic" ream of green paper and a Robert Browning poem, came together to reveal to King his "ka" is no real surprise (this is King after all), but who would have thought that the squinty-eyed trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach would set the author on his true path to the Tower? While King credits Tolkien for inspiring the "quest and magic" that pervades the series, it was Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that helped create the epic proportions and "almost absurdly majestic western backdrop" of Roland's world.

To King, The Gunslinger demanded revision because once the series was complete it became obvious that "the beginning was out of sync with the ending." While the revision adds only 35 pages, Dark Tower purists will notice the changes to Allie's fate and Roland's interaction with Cort, Jake, and the Man in Black--all stellar scenes that will reignite the hunger for the rest of the series. Newcomers will appreciate the details and insight into Roland's life. The revised Roland of Gilead (nee Deschain) is embodied with more humanity--he loves, he pities, he regrets. What DT fans might miss is the same ambiguity and mystery of the original that gave the original its pulpy underground feel (back when King himself awaited word from Roland's world). --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:03 -0400)

First portion of an epic story of a fantastic world of good versus evil in which the hero, The Gunslinger, pursues The Man in Black.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible