The Dark Tower The Gunslinger by Stephen…

The Dark Tower The Gunslinger (edition 1982)

by Stephen King

Collections:2012
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, postapocalyptic, quest, AD, 12 in 12

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell (qofd)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: There are thematic connections between the first story of Hearts in Atlantis and The Dark Tower series.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (246)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (263)
I was not impressed with this book. It reminded me of Joyce and Faulkner - very hard to follow because the language is so arrogantly confusing. I really loathe when authors work to come across as smarter than all the rest of us. It irritates me.

Here's the thing: I read the introduction to the revised version. And even King agrees with me, so I am willing to give this series another chance. But this first book, had I not had some warning that it did not have King's voice and was out of line with the rest of the books, would be the last I read of The Dark Tower. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
So, I read this a couple of times, over the years, and never really enjoyed it. I can see, now, what it was about it that bothered me... But this time I listened to the audio book, and I found it more enjoyable. I'm going to press on with the series, now that I was able to get through this first one without hating it. I've always been told the following books in the series are better, anyway. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
OK, I admit when I'm wrong. For years I avoided this book because I felt it wouldn't be up to snuff. I was wrong!
This is a good, old-fashioned Rifleman tale as Roland channels Clint Eastwood while chasing the mysterious stranger through this post-apocalyptic, purgatory of a wasteland. King creates a master weird western tale that Robert E Howard would have been proud to call his own. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  revslick | Nov 7, 2014 |
It's odd that some of my friends who I'd have expected to rate it higher than I did rate this book lower than I have. I'll try to figure that out.

Here, we meet a clearly mythic and epic hero torn directly from the pages of [a:Michael Moorcock|16939|Michael Moorcock|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1222901251p2/16939.jpg] and more importantly [a:Joseph Campbell|20105|Joseph Campbell|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1201938763p2/20105.jpg]. King cites the "Man With No Name" of the western movies fame as a chief inspiration, but for me the other two seem deeper lying influences. The hero, Roland Deschain travels in pursuit of a Man in Black, undergoing trials and tribulations along the way, as you'd expect, but with the fatalist viewpoint so familiar to those who've read Moorcock.

So why read this book? Well, I began it as background reading to lead a group discussion of his (at this writing) most recent novel, [b:11/22/63|10644930|11/22/63|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327876792s/10644930.jpg|15553789]. What I found fascinating is the difference in prose style between the two, or in comparison with something from his famous middle period, such as "It". Here we find in a younger King a more poetic and descriptive writer, who felt freer to employ color and device to paint his canvases, and the text is improved for it. It's not a great book, but it tells you that Mr. King could have developed into a great titan of modern literature, but instead chose to write books for the common man. I wish he hadn't. No man wishes to be common, and all men are capable of more than they give. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452284694, Paperback)

Thirty-three years, a horrific and life-altering accident, and thousands of desperately rabid fans in the making, Stephen King's quest to complete his magnum opus rivals the quest of Roland and his band of gunslingers who inhabit the Dark Tower series. Loyal DT fans and new readers alike will appreciate this revised edition of The Gunslinger, which breathes new life into Roland of Gilead, and offers readers a "clearer start and slightly easier entry into Roland's world."

King writes both a new introduction and foreword to this revised edition, and the ever-patient, ever-loyal "constant reader" is rewarded with secrets to the series's inception. That a "magic" ream of green paper and a Robert Browning poem, came together to reveal to King his "ka" is no real surprise (this is King after all), but who would have thought that the squinty-eyed trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach would set the author on his true path to the Tower? While King credits Tolkien for inspiring the "quest and magic" that pervades the series, it was Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that helped create the epic proportions and "almost absurdly majestic western backdrop" of Roland's world.

To King, The Gunslinger demanded revision because once the series was complete it became obvious that "the beginning was out of sync with the ending." While the revision adds only 35 pages, Dark Tower purists will notice the changes to Allie's fate and Roland's interaction with Cort, Jake, and the Man in Black--all stellar scenes that will reignite the hunger for the rest of the series. Newcomers will appreciate the details and insight into Roland's life. The revised Roland of Gilead (nee Deschain) is embodied with more humanity--he loves, he pities, he regrets. What DT fans might miss is the same ambiguity and mystery of the original that gave the original its pulpy underground feel (back when King himself awaited word from Roland's world). --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:03 -0400)

First portion of an epic story of a fantastic world of good versus evil in which the hero, The Gunslinger, pursues The Man in Black.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,032,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible