The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1)…

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) (signed) (edition 1982)

by Stephen King, Michael Whelan (Illustrator)

13,327275165 (3.89)1 / 251
Member:PBlock
Title:The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) (signed)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Michael Whelan (Illustrator)
Info:Donald M Grant (1982), Edition: 2nd, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Signed PB

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: There are thematic connections between the first story of Hearts in Atlantis and The Dark Tower series.
    Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell (qofd)
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree (The Outlaw King) by S. A. Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (257)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (274)
I find the Gunslinger graphic novels to be more accessible than the Dark Tower books. The artwork is as glorious as ever, and this volume seemed to have just enough of that doom-laden narration, do ya kennit? (Some of the prequel volumes about Roland's youth were a little light on words.) After wandering thtough the trackless desert in pursuit of the Man in Black, Roland befriends a mysterious boy from another world (ours, seemingly). Compared to what Roland has seen so far, this seems only slightly odd to him. ( )
  questbird | Apr 25, 2015 |
Masterful and riveting! I really loved this book (when I first read it two decades ago and now again). Roland, of course, is a bad ass but I have new-found respect for the Man in Black, too. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Stephen King’s epic Dark Tower saga begins here, with Roland, a gunslinger in a futuristic wild west. Through flashbacks we learn about his childhood and upbringing. In the present day scenes we travel through dusty towns and desert lands in pursuit of the “man in black”.

The book just felt so stilted to me. At no point did I feel really connected to Roland or invested in his journey. It felt more like a string of short stories to me. They all lead to the same place, but not in a way that made me want to go along on his journey. I felt more like Stephen King had been challenged to write a western and this was the result.

I've heard and read quite a few reviews that say the first book is not a great representation of the series as a whole. I'd love to hear from others who have read the whole series. Is it worth continuing because it gets better or should I give it up if the first one didn't click for me?

BOTTOM LINE: I didn’t love it and I’m not sure if I should give the next book a chance. ( )
  bookworm12 | Apr 6, 2015 |
This is an early work for King, and you can tell. This book doesn't showcase all that I love about King, but it shows how he began. I love his writing style and all the stories he puts together. This is a beginning, and fans should remember that. Not only for a series, but for an amazing author. With that, the book leaves a reader with many questions, questions that may or may not be answered in the very next book.

This isn't a trilogy or a five book series. It's the building of a world and a life that spans decades. So, don't go into it expecting fanciful love stories and loose ends that tie up at the end like a tv drama. ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
"The ran in Spain falls on the plain.
there is joy, and also pain
but the rain in Spain falls on the plain.

Time's a sheet, life's a stain,
All the things we know will change
and all those things remain the same
be ye mad or only sane,
the rain in Spain falls on the plain.

We walk in love but fly in chains
and the planes in Spain fall in the rain."

Some books have a texture of feeling behind the words. This one was filled with longing, the sad horror of a destroyed world, a mellow dark melancholy, and that far away oldness that calls for one to come and see what wonders once were.

The story follows a gunslinger in a future post-apocalyptic world chasing someone through the desert and his adventures on the way.

Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452284694, Paperback)

Thirty-three years, a horrific and life-altering accident, and thousands of desperately rabid fans in the making, Stephen King's quest to complete his magnum opus rivals the quest of Roland and his band of gunslingers who inhabit the Dark Tower series. Loyal DT fans and new readers alike will appreciate this revised edition of The Gunslinger, which breathes new life into Roland of Gilead, and offers readers a "clearer start and slightly easier entry into Roland's world."

King writes both a new introduction and foreword to this revised edition, and the ever-patient, ever-loyal "constant reader" is rewarded with secrets to the series's inception. That a "magic" ream of green paper and a Robert Browning poem, came together to reveal to King his "ka" is no real surprise (this is King after all), but who would have thought that the squinty-eyed trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach would set the author on his true path to the Tower? While King credits Tolkien for inspiring the "quest and magic" that pervades the series, it was Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that helped create the epic proportions and "almost absurdly majestic western backdrop" of Roland's world.

To King, The Gunslinger demanded revision because once the series was complete it became obvious that "the beginning was out of sync with the ending." While the revision adds only 35 pages, Dark Tower purists will notice the changes to Allie's fate and Roland's interaction with Cort, Jake, and the Man in Black--all stellar scenes that will reignite the hunger for the rest of the series. Newcomers will appreciate the details and insight into Roland's life. The revised Roland of Gilead (nee Deschain) is embodied with more humanity--he loves, he pities, he regrets. What DT fans might miss is the same ambiguity and mystery of the original that gave the original its pulpy underground feel (back when King himself awaited word from Roland's world). --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:03 -0400)

First portion of an epic story of a fantastic world of good versus evil in which the hero, The Gunslinger, pursues The Man in Black.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,730,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible