The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1)…

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) (signed) (edition 1982)

by Stephen King, Michael Whelan (Illustrator)

13,577280157 (3.88)1 / 250
Member:PBlock
Title:The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) (signed)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Michael Whelan (Illustrator)
Info:Donald M Grant (1982), Edition: 2nd, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Signed PB

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, Book 1) by Stephen King

The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell (qofd)
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    Hearts In Atlantis by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: There are thematic connections between the first story of Hearts in Atlantis and The Dark Tower series.
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree (The Outlaw King) by S. A. Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (262)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (279)
Great world building and atmosphere. Definitely different than anything I've read before. It felt very scattered, like King didn't really have any idea what the next paragraph would hold. I'm sure that probably made it a blast to write, but it could've been better if it weren't so disjointed.

The dialogue between characters is Star Wars Episode II bad, unfortunately. I really enjoyed the world building though, which makes me think that the series may be worth continuing. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |
Some of this seems disjointed, but some was brilliant. Definitely left me with mixed feelings.
1 vote bookwyrmm | May 16, 2015 |
After reading 'The Stand', I had a hard time believing that King could top that masterpiece with The Dark Tower series. 'The Gunslinger' is a promising start, where King once again builds a fascinating world that is familiar yet strange all the same. Roland is a mystery, yet you can't help but be immediately interested in his journey.

King's writing is choppy in places where he writes accents, yet overall this is a well-written book. Looking forward to the next book in the series.

bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
I find the Gunslinger graphic novels to be more accessible than the Dark Tower books. The artwork is as glorious as ever, and this volume seemed to have just enough of that doom-laden narration, do ya kennit? (Some of the prequel volumes about Roland's youth were a little light on words.) After wandering thtough the trackless desert in pursuit of the Man in Black, Roland befriends a mysterious boy from another world (ours, seemingly). Compared to what Roland has seen so far, this seems only slightly odd to him. ( )
  questbird | Apr 25, 2015 |
Masterful and riveting! I really loved this book (when I first read it two decades ago and now again). Roland, of course, is a bad ass but I have new-found respect for the Man in Black, too. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452284694, Paperback)

Thirty-three years, a horrific and life-altering accident, and thousands of desperately rabid fans in the making, Stephen King's quest to complete his magnum opus rivals the quest of Roland and his band of gunslingers who inhabit the Dark Tower series. Loyal DT fans and new readers alike will appreciate this revised edition of The Gunslinger, which breathes new life into Roland of Gilead, and offers readers a "clearer start and slightly easier entry into Roland's world."

King writes both a new introduction and foreword to this revised edition, and the ever-patient, ever-loyal "constant reader" is rewarded with secrets to the series's inception. That a "magic" ream of green paper and a Robert Browning poem, came together to reveal to King his "ka" is no real surprise (this is King after all), but who would have thought that the squinty-eyed trio of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach would set the author on his true path to the Tower? While King credits Tolkien for inspiring the "quest and magic" that pervades the series, it was Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that helped create the epic proportions and "almost absurdly majestic western backdrop" of Roland's world.

To King, The Gunslinger demanded revision because once the series was complete it became obvious that "the beginning was out of sync with the ending." While the revision adds only 35 pages, Dark Tower purists will notice the changes to Allie's fate and Roland's interaction with Cort, Jake, and the Man in Black--all stellar scenes that will reignite the hunger for the rest of the series. Newcomers will appreciate the details and insight into Roland's life. The revised Roland of Gilead (nee Deschain) is embodied with more humanity--he loves, he pities, he regrets. What DT fans might miss is the same ambiguity and mystery of the original that gave the original its pulpy underground feel (back when King himself awaited word from Roland's world). --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:42 -0400)

First portion of an epic story of a fantastic world of good versus evil in which the hero, The Gunslinger, pursues The Man in Black.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,907,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible