Shane by Jack Schaefer

Shane (1949)

by Jack Schaefer

The Rebel: Johnny Yuma by Andrew J. Fenady (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similar story about a drifter in the old west who helps people.
    Warlock by Oakley Hall (DinadansFriend)
    DinadansFriend: Just because I can't decide which is the better Western. Warlock is longer.
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (mcenroeucsb)

English (22)  Danish (1)  All languages (23)
The title piece remains a perfect evocation of a mythic figure. Not a word wasted, the every image sharp and still compelling. The movie was quite good as well. Can't remember the rest of the collection. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 2, 2014 |
Wonderful short novel. I think it is safe to call this literature and a classic, at least from my view. I am sure that my long held appreciation of the film influenced my enjoyment of this book. The actors from the film were immediately in my mind as I read this. The tension in this book starts on the first page. The story is told from the viewpoint of the boy in the story, young Bob Starrett, but he is telling us this story as an adult looking back on his childhood. He very believably shows the hero worship a young boy can have for the strong men in his life.

I've read Shane before but seemed to really appreciate it more this time. This is very well written. Scenes small and large were vivid to me and lingered long after reading. Close to a perfect book, this will be one of my few favorites for this year. The best "western" I ever read was Larry McMurtry's 'Lonesome Dove'. It is also one of the best novels I have ever read, and just possibly THE best. Shane is a small book and can't be fairly compared to an epic like Lonesome Dove, but it does show that great writing and a great story can be found in unexpected places. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 28, 2013 |
This one, if I recall correctly, is the classic western story of The Mysterious Hero Coming To Save The Town And Then Move On.
I haven't read this since grade school. It was a good story, but didn't make me a fan of westerns. In all fairness though, I just can't get into that genre, so don't take my ambivalence to heart if you do like westerns! ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
currently-reading, spring-2013, north-americas, classic, published-1949
Recommended to Bettie by: Laura

Saturday Drama

[ BBC Blurb: Following on from 'Hombre', last week's Classic Western, today's drama is the first radio production of 'Shane'. It's been adapted from Jack Shaefer's novel by Frances Byrnes.

A mysterious horseman, all dressed in black and wearing a six shooter, rides into an isolated valley in Wyoming. Call me Shane, he says. He's a skilled gunslinger, and soon finds himself drawn into a conflict between homesteaders Marian and Joe Starrett and ruthless cattle baron Fletcher, who wants to force the Starretts off the land. Marian is caught between the strong, dependable husband whom she loves, and the lean, handsome stranger whom she needs if she's to save her family. (hide spoiler)]

Recorded by Mark Holden Post production by Nigel Lewis

With music by Fernando Macias-Jimenez

Produced and Directed by Kate McAll

The Oscar winning film 'Shane' starred Paramount idol Alan Ladd in the title role, with Jean Arthur as Marian and Van Heflin as Joe.

Although the story of 'Shane' is fictional, elements of it are based on the 1892 Johnson County War between the small settlers in Wyoming and the bigger, wealthier ranchers.
1 like ( )
  mimal | Apr 1, 2013 |
This afternoon I picked up and read Shane, a book I'd heard about but had not read before. I'd seen the movie years ago, but could not recall enough details to spoil the plot.

I can see how the plot has been used and reused by others since this book was published in 1949: mysterious stranger shows up, and helps those who befriend him. I can see similarities to plots by one of my favorite authors, Louis L'Amour. But Jack Schaefer's writing has more depth and nuances than L'Amour, and was a great pleasure to devour in an afternoon.

Five stars, highly recommended. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | Nov 9, 2012 |
To Carl
For my first son
my first book
He rode into our valley in the summer of '89.
Call me Shane.

Your pigs are dead and buried.

"Call me Shane."
He rode into our valley in the summer of '89, a slim man, dressed in black.
"Call me Shane," he said. He never told us more.
There was a deadly calm in the valley that summer, a slow, climbing tension that seemed to focus on Shane.
"There's something about him," Mother said. "Something...dangerous..."
"He's dangerous all right," Father said, "...but not to us..."
"He's like one of these here slow burning fuses," the mule skinner said. "Quiet...so quiet you forget it's burning till it sets off a hell of a blow of trouble. And there's trouble brewing."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553271105, Mass Market Paperback)

He rode into our valley in the summer of ’89, a slim man, dressed in black. “Call me Shane,” he said. He never told us more.

“There’s something about him,” Mother said. “Something . . . dangerous . . .”

“He’s dangerous all right,” Father said, “but not to us.”

“He’s like one of these here slow burning fuses,” the mule skinner said.

“Quiet . . . so quiet you forget it’s burning till it sets off a hell of a blow of trouble. And there’s trouble brewing.”

Jack Schaefer is best known for this timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

In the summer of 1889, a mysterious and charismatic man rides into a small Wyoming valley, where he joins homesteaders who take a stand against a bullying cattle rancher, and where he changes the lives of a young boy and his parents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible