Shane by Jack Schaefer

Shane (1949)

by Jack Schaefer

The Rebel: Johnny Yuma by Andrew J. Fenady (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similar story about a drifter in the old west who helps people.
    Warlock by Oakley Hall (DinadansFriend)
    DinadansFriend: Just because I can't decide which is the better Western. Warlock is longer.
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (mcenroeucsb)

English (25)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (27)
Where was Shane? I hurried toward the barn. I was almost to it when I saw him out by the pasture. He was staring over it and the grazing steers at the great lonely mountains tipped with the gold of the sun now rushing down behind them. As I watched, he stretched his arms up, the fingers reaching to their utmost limits, grasping and grasping, it seemed, at the glory glowing in the sky.

You can’t get a more classic western story than this one.

Shane is the lone hero, an almost mythical figure. In the summer of 1889 he rides into the small Wyoming valley and befriends the Starret family in a time where their little homestead is threaten by an evil cattle-owner.

The tension slowly builds up to the inevitable gunfight. The story is told through the eyes of the young boy Bob Starret. The first half of the book is a character study of Shane and the Starret-family as their friendship and bond deepens. But there’s suspense under the surface. We know that they will not be left alone. Soon they will have to fight for their land and life. To the death. A great western, loved every page of it.
2 vote ctpress | Feb 13, 2016 |
its one of the best books i've ever read especially since its an old book as well,I really enjoyed it an i've read alot of books an this is really good Book i would suggest this book to anyone. ( )
  Shazarah | Feb 6, 2016 |
On a summer day in 1889, young Bob Starrett watches a mysterious stranger ride into his small valley in the Wyoming Territory. When the imposing man stops at the Starrett farm for water, Bob's father, Joe, invites him to stay the night. The stranger, who gives his name only as Shane and who volunteers no other information about himself, ends up staying on as a farmhand for the Starretts. We watch the action of the next year or so through Bob's young eyes. When the local rancher, Fletcher, tries to bully the small farmers off their land so he can increase his grazing area and his profits, Shane helps bring the farmers together to resist Fletcher. To Bob and his parents, Shane appears to be a really good man at heart, but they can tell that Shane's actions cost him a lot, both mentally and physically.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of westerns, but I do like well written ones that have something other than just action to them. This one is definitely a classic of the genre, and there is a lot of underlying meaning if you can read between the lines because our young narrator doesn't understand half of what really happened during that time of his life. I don't love the story, but I do like it. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
A simple, stunning raw story that I found more beautiful than I thought I would. Shane is THE man. ( )
  MattPearson | Oct 20, 2014 |
The title piece remains a perfect evocation of a mythic figure. Not a word wasted, the every image sharp and still compelling. The movie was quite good as well. Can't remember the rest of the collection. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 2, 2014 |
To Carl
For my first son
my first book
He rode into our valley in the summer of '89.
Call me Shane.

Your pigs are dead and buried.

"Call me Shane."
He rode into our valley in the summer of '89, a slim man, dressed in black.
"Call me Shane," he said. He never told us more.
There was a deadly calm in the valley that summer, a slow, climbing tension that seemed to focus on Shane.
"There's something about him," Mother said. "Something...dangerous..."
"He's dangerous all right," Father said, "...but not to us..."
"He's like one of these here slow burning fuses," the mule skinner said. "Quiet...so quiet you forget it's burning till it sets off a hell of a blow of trouble. And there's trouble brewing."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553271105, Mass Market Paperback)

He rode into our valley in the summer of ’89, a slim man, dressed in black. “Call me Shane,” he said. He never told us more.

“There’s something about him,” Mother said. “Something . . . dangerous . . .”

“He’s dangerous all right,” Father said, “but not to us.”

“He’s like one of these here slow burning fuses,” the mule skinner said.

“Quiet . . . so quiet you forget it’s burning till it sets off a hell of a blow of trouble. And there’s trouble brewing.”

Jack Schaefer is best known for this timeless classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

In the summer of 1889, a mysterious and charismatic man rides into a small Wyoming valley, where he joins homesteaders who take a stand against a bullying cattle rancher, and where he changes the lives of a young boy and his parents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,247,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible