Sir Cumference and the dragon of pi : a math…

Sir Cumference and the dragon of pi : a math adventure (edition 1999)

by Cindy Neuschwander, Wayne Geehan (Illustrator)

6351915,256 (4.2)5
Title:Sir Cumference and the dragon of pi : a math adventure
Authors:Cindy Neuschwander
Other authors:Wayne Geehan (Illustrator)
Info:Watertown, MA : Charlesbridge, 1999.
Collections:Your library, Mathematics
Tags:fiction, mathematics, children's book, pi, circles, bedroom

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi : A Math Adventure by Cindy Neuschwander

I loved this book. I liked this book because of the names and purpose behind the book. The names in the story were super cleaver and funny. For example, Sir Cumference, Radius, Lady Di of Ameter, Geo of Metry, and Sym of Metry. I liked these names because it adds a fun vibe to math. Also, I liked how the book is playful and educational. Math sometimes can be looked at as a negative and hard subject. I think that this book can help students look at Math from a fun point of view. The main message of this story is to learn about Pi, 3.14. ( )
  Rosalindd | Nov 11, 2015 |
I actually understand Pi now better than I ever did. Where was this when I was in school, getting great grades in math without every truly understanding what I was doing...?

Update: My son has been learning about Pi and the formula for finding the circumference of a circle for a few weeks. He failed the whole unit, and I'm glad I remembered this book. We read it together, and he was motivated to experiment with string and measuring tape on various circular objects around the house. He has this formula truly understood now instead of memorized, and on several enrichment practice exercises he performed perfectly. He owes it all to this book. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
• Sir Cumference is sick and sends his son, Radius to the doctor, who could not be found. Only, when Radius brought medicine to his father, the medicine turned Sir Cumference into a dragon. The town tries to run for cover while Lady Di of Ameter and Radius try to find a potion to turn Sir Cumference back before he his slain in the morning. Radius finds a potion “The Circle’s Measure”, which ends up being the formula for finding circumference. After many calculations, Radius was able to determine how much of the potion his dad needed, in order to turn him back to normal.
  alcrumpler | Jul 12, 2014 |
Sir Conference and the Dragon of Pi is a good way to introduce pi. The book has a fairy tale theme and the names in the book are all math related. Sir Conference has changed into a dragon and Radius has to try and solve a riddle to change him back. I would recommend this book to ages 3 and up. My college math teacher brought this in one time, so it works for all ages! ( )
  aloupe | Apr 22, 2014 |
In my opinion "Sir Cumference and the First Round Table" is a great book to introduce circumference in a math lesson. First, the language is mathematical but also tells a great tale about camelot. "It has two long sides and two short sides. If you cut it in half, and put the two halves side-by-side, you will have a table with four equal sides." While there is math involved they are also telling a story about a new table in Camelot. Second, the illustrations enhance the students understanding about math but also the tale being told in Camelot. For example, when the table is being cut they show the dimensions but also showed the finished product. The big idea of this story is for students to understand what circumference entails. ( )
  rschin1 | Feb 27, 2014 |

When Sir Cumference drinks a potion which turns him into a dragon, his son Radius searches for the magic number known as pi which will restore him to his former shape.

2 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 1570911649, 1570911665

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible