Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math…

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure) (original 1999; edition 2004)

by Cindy Neuschwander, Wayne Geehan

Member:kgeorge
Title:Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi (A Math Adventure)
Authors:Cindy Neuschwander
Other authors:Wayne Geehan
Info:Charlesbridge Publishing (2004), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:non-fiction, 500s, informational picture storybook, pps. 32, 4 - 6, geometry

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi : A Math Adventure by Cindy Neuschwander (1999)

I liked this book because it introduces a fun way to learn about math in a picture book and the artwork was amazing. The illustrator uses a painting style that matches what paintings were like during the middle ages, which is the setting for the book. I thought this was a great connection to make because it exposes the readers to a style of artwork they won’t usually learn about until they are in a higher level art class. I think it also adds an extra element that can keep the reader engaged with the bright colors and unique design. I also liked that the book is centered around math concepts like finding the radius and circumference of a circle, given the name of the book. The author introduces a fun way to read and learn about math that is engaging with small problems to solve throughout the story, most notably with a riddle that Radius has to solve in order to turn his father back into himself after he is turned into a dragon, which is “Measure the middle and circle around, divide so a number can be found. Every circle, great and small the number is the same for all. It’s also the dose, so be clever, or a dragon he will stay...forever.” This riddle is basically the rule to measuring a circle’s circumference and finding the measurement of Pi told in a fun way for young readers and math learners. The main message of the story is that math can be used to solve any problem. ( )
  KyleMarciniszyn | Mar 5, 2018 |
Clever story
  RaskFamilyLibrary | Jun 30, 2017 |
a fun story of how a little boy goes on a journey with dragons
1 book
  TUCC | Dec 5, 2016 |
Read this book on pi day.
  amandakcook | Sep 19, 2016 |
I loved this book. I liked this book because of the names and purpose behind the book. The names in the story were super cleaver and funny. For example, Sir Cumference, Radius, Lady Di of Ameter, Geo of Metry, and Sym of Metry. I liked these names because it adds a fun vibe to math. Also, I liked how the book is playful and educational. Math sometimes can be looked at as a negative and hard subject. I think that this book can help students look at Math from a fun point of view. The main message of this story is to learn about Pi, 3.14. ( )
  Rosalindd | Nov 11, 2015 |

Cindy Neuschwanderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Geehan, WayneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

When Sir Cumference drinks a potion which turns him into a dragon, his son Radius searches for the magic number known as pi which will restore him to his former shape.

Charlesbridge

2 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 1570911649, 1570911665

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,134,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible