The Devil's Bones by Jefferson Bass

The Devil's Bones (2008)

by Jefferson Bass

Well, that was a quick read. I enjoyed it although I feel it is somewhat derivative of Kathy Reichs' books and not quite as good.

The basic story: Dr. Bill Brockton is a forensic anthropologist working in the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. He previously helped catch an ME, Garland Hamilton, who had killed Brockton's lover but Hamilton has now escaped. Fearing for his life, Brockton continues to work. His first case is to prove that a woman burned in a car was already dead and then to prove that the woman's husband did it even though he was in Las Vegas at the time of the car fire. Then he is asked by his lawyer to check into a crematorium in Georgia because the cremains of the lawyer's aunt don't seem right. His faithful assistant, Miranda, helps with these investigations and so does the police criminalist, Art. Of course, Hamilton lurks in the background and finally is hunted down. Or is he?

Any one who likes CSI and Bones on TV or Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell will probably like this book. Not for the faint of stomach though. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 7, 2017 |
Enjoyable book, if not quite as good as previous novels. In this one, Forensic anthropologist Bill Brockton has his hands full. He is helping with the investigation of a woman who was found burned to death in her car. At the same time, he is privately investigating the cremation of a family member of defense attorney Burt "Grease" DeVriess. Grease thinks there's something strange about his Aunt Jean's cremated remains. As if that isn't enough to handle, an attempted murderer (from a previous book) has escaped from prison and may be targeting Dr. Brockton for revenge. After I was finished reading I realized that what made me slightly dissatisfied with this particular book was the lack of love interest for Dr. Brockton. It made the story a little less interesting to me. And I think the author threw in a little too many characters from previous books, making it hard to remember who all these people were. The cremation investigation eventually involves a tour of a modern-day crematorium, which I have to say was interesting to read about. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Suspense high with lots if twists and turns as The Devil’s bones continues the story of Dr. Bill Brockton and Hamilton Garnett. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 29, 2017 |
I love Dr. Bass, and his non fiction work, but I just didn't really care about any of the characters in this book. I loved the science, but found the plot too formulaic. ( )
  SadieRuin | Apr 29, 2017 |
Once again I figured out the plot WAY early in the book ... barely 50 pages in. But it is still a great ride. I wonder, though, how much more serious danger the authors can put their characters in without running out of plots ... purt near killed 'em this time out. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
The last drop of daylight was fading from the western sky—a draining that seemed more a suffocation than a sunset, a final faint gasp as the day died of heatstroke.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060759909, Mass Market Paperback)

A burned car sits on a Tennessee hilltop, a woman's lifeless, charred body seated inside. Forensic anthropologist Bill Brockton's job is to discover the truth hidden in the fire-desecrated corpse. Was the woman's death accidental . . . or was she incinerated to cover up her murder?

But his research into the effect of flame on flesh and bone is about to collide with reality like a lit match meeting spilled gasoline. The arrival of a mysterious package—a set of suspiciously unnatural cremated remains—is pulling Brockton toward a nightmare too inhuman to imagine. And an old nemesis is waiting in the shadows to put him to the ultimate test, one that could reduce Brockton's life to smoldering ruins.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:58 -0400)

Investigating a suspicious death in which the victim's remains were found in a burned car, forensic anthropologist Bill Brockton engages in an unorthodox experiment to better understand the case.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,644,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible