Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek:…
209480,729 (3.77)1
Member:konallis
Title:Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 1)
Authors:Una McCormack
Other authors:Heather Jarman
Info:Star Trek (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:signed, science fiction, tie-in, television, Star Trek

Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Volume One by Una McCormack

Liked the Cardassian story much more than the Andorian one. Probably because it centered on Garak and the O'Briens rather than on all original characters. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 15, 2016 |
This book contains two distinct stories.
The first based in Cardaissa is horrible and boring. McCormack uses too much italics, and "quotes" thoughts. Its like Star Wars Pre-quell that sits and looks at how their government works, but its slow. Some kid attempts to blow up parliament to make the foreigners leave Cardassia. It sounds dramatic but its written so poorly that its not.

The second story, however, is fantastic. The first time in my life I found a Star Trek love story believable, unforced and enthralling. Prynn and Shar both lost loved ones on their trip to the Gamma quadrant and their support of each other leads to a love that is unknown. There is struggles with sexuality (Andorians have 4 sexes, so how does a "male" Andorian mate with a female human) family (Androian commitment to raise and support andorian children) genetics (could we eliminate two of our sexes to make the people live) politics (and not boring politics like in the first story) action, adventure, death, destruction, and actually cried, I don't know if I've ever got that level of emotional attachment to a book before.

Its a shame I have to give a single rating to the whole book, as the first story deserves a 1 1/2, while the second deserves a 5+, so I give the book a three. ( )
  fulner | Jan 8, 2015 |
The saga of DS9 continues in this first volume of a series set on the homeworlds of various characters. Una McCormack follows the new careers of Garak and the O’Briens on Cardassia while Heather Jarman takes us to Andor where we learn more about Shar and Prynn Tenmei. Both are satisfying reads and I look forward to new volumes.

Published in paperback by Pocket Books. ( )
  mmtz | May 26, 2012 |

Una McCormackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jarman, HeatherAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Get that camera over here!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743483510, Mass Market Paperback)

Within every federation and every empire, behind every hero and every villain, there are the worlds that define them. In the aftermath of Unity and in the daring tradition of Spock's World, The Final Reflection, and A Stitch in Time, the civilizations most closely tied to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine can now be experienced as never before...in tales both sweeping and intimate, reflective and prophetic, eerily familiar and utterly alien.

CARDASSIA: The last world ravaged by the Dominion War is also the last on which Miles O'Brien ever imagined building a life. As he joins in the reconstruction of Cardassia's infrastructure, his wife Keiko spearheads the planet's difficult agricultural renewal. But Cardassia's struggle to remake itself -- from the fledgling democracy backed by Elim Garak to the people's rediscovery of their own spiritual past -- is not without opposition, as the outside efforts to help rebuild its civilization come under attack by those who reject any alien influence.

ANDOR: On the eve of a great celebration of their ancient past, the unusual and mysterious Andorians, a species with four sexes, must decide just how much they are willing to sacrifice in order to ensure their survival. Biological necessity clashes with personal ethics; cultural obligation vies with love -- and Ensign Thirishar ch'Thane returns home to the planet he forswore, to face not only the consequences of his choices, but a clandestine plan to alter the very nature of his kind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:54 -0400)

Contains two Star trek, deep space nine novels--one set on the planet Cardassia and the other on Andor.

Una McCormack is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,186,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible