Death in Winter by Michael Jan Friedman
When Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise learns Doctor Beverly Crusher has been declared missing and presumed dead, he travels to the remote planet of Kevratas, refusing to believe the woman he loves is gone and hoping to find her and bring her home again.

I won't say it wasn't worth reading... but it was awfully drawn out, and the most obnoxious part was the fact that they worked "clip show" framework into the story. Yes, you heard me right - clip shows, those cringe worthy blights on serialized TV shows produced in shameless moments of budgetary shortage... in a novel. Granted - it was thematic in nature, and a little deliberately corny (characters wondering "I wonder what made me think of that at a time like this?"), but at the end of the day the story wasn't strong enough to carry a novel. Would have been a suitable short story, or 2 or 3 chapters in a novel with a broader plot. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
Geordi and Worf stuff felt tacked on. Still, Sela and other good tie-ins. And kisses. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Long before Captain Jean-Luc Picard took command of the Starship Enterprise,™ he fell deeply and hopelessly in love with Doctor Beverly Crusher. Picard never acted on his feelings, yet he found a measure of contentment as Beverly's close friend, colleague, and daily breakfast partner.

When Doctor Crusher leaves to become the chief medical officer of Starfleet, the brightest light in Picard's life is taken from him. He has barely resigned himself... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
Without some knowledge of Star Trek canon, this book might be difficult to follow. I regularly feel like I’m missing some subtext with the books set after the Dominion War. I missed that part of Deep Space Nine and nearly all of the Voyager seasons due to being in college and not having time to watch, and then being out of college and too poor to buy a TV or pay for cable. Luckily for me, those events aren’t nearly as important in the book as events that took place during The Next Generation years.

The book begins by laying down the back story that both provides the motivation for later events, as well as the characters involved. The events that occur in the “present” are set shortly after events seen in the movie Star Trek: Nemesis in which the Enterprise E is nearly wrecked by trying to prevent the mentally disturbed Romulan Praetor Shinzon from destroying humanity and the Federation. Picard is overseeing repairs of his ship while also dealing with the changes in her crew. Of those who served with him in the early and later missions, only Worf and La Forge remain on the ship, but the one he misses most is Beverly Crusher.

Crusher has taken up her old post as head of Starfleet Medical, but soon she embarks on a covert mission that takes her into Romulan territory. When Starfleet loses communication with her, Picard and a small team are sent in to complete her mission and rescue her if possible.

Meanwhile, turmoil and intrigue plague the Romulan Empire, which has been weakened by Shinzon and his successor. The usual suspects (Tomalak and Sela) show up, do their thing, and it’s all settled in typical Romulan fashion by the end of the book. What I appreciated most about this was how Friedman wrote the minds-eye perspective of all of the main Romulan characters in such a way that I found myself rooting for all of them at some point, even when they were at odds with each other.

The book ends on a high note, and should please many fans. That’s all I am going to say about it, although it wouldn’t be much of a spoiler if I did. ( )
  eclecticlibrarian | May 15, 2008 |
For the Girgentis,the dessert on the menu of life
Manathas frowned, wishing he could have enjoyed just a bit more cooperation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,759,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible