Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (1980)

by Douglas Adams

Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2)

Arthur Dent, a refugee from the late planet Earth and his pal from the planet Betelgeuse, Ford Prefect, thumb their way thru comic misadventures throughout the Universe. In this installment Dent now seeks a decent cup of tea, while Prefect is after a good gin and tonic.
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (147)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (157)
Martin Freeman should do the narration for all books that have a majority of male characters. The book itself is fun, but Freeman made it for me. ( )
  avanders | Nov 23, 2020 |
The universe is weirder and more wonderful than Arthur Dent could ever have imagined. Ever since Earth was destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass, Arthur has been hitchhiking with his friend, Ford Prefect, who is from a small green planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse. Now they’re looking for a spot of lunch, and what better place to dine than the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

I tried reading this in audio earlier this year and didn’t get on with it at all. In print, however, it was delightful. I remember a lot of moments primarily through the lens of the 1981 TV miniseries: Hotblack Desiato, Max Quordlepleen (who always scared me a bit, frankly) and the Golgafrinchans (may I never be as useless as they are). The book was much funnier than I remembered: I was laughing out loud frequently. I especially liked the piece on the grammar of time travel, and the Scrabble scene was unexpectedly amusing. “The only word they know is grunt and they don’t know how to spell it.”

I’d certainly recommend this if you read and enjoyed the first book in the Hitchhiker’s Guide trilogy of five. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Nov 12, 2020 |
I’ve read the print edition of this book, but not nearly as often as the first book in the Hitchhiker’s trilogy of five. So perhaps that put me at a disadvantage when reading the audio edition, which is narrated by Martin Freeman. But I couldn’t finish listening to it. The primary reason was the choice of accent for Zaphod; Martin made him sound like some kind of Tri-State alien (my first thought was of Brooklyn or Joisey), and it grated on my ears. It was especially grating because this installment of Hitchhiker’s spends a LOT of time with Zaphod. I might have preferred a narrator such as Mark Wing-Davey, who played Zaphod in the 1981 miniseries. I also found, perhaps because of my previous experience, that Freeman’s Marvin voice wasn’t deep and doleful enough.

I did like the voices with effects: the Vogon voice nearly made me choke on my water with laughter, and Gargravarr, the Custodian of the Total Perspective Vortex, was wonderfully resonant and amusing. And the intergalactic cruise ship was creepy and funny in equal measure due primarily to the robot flight attendant. Freeman’s rendition of Eddie the shipboard computer was fun too. But the Zaphod voice stopped me right in my tracks. Perhaps this would have worked better with a few narrators, if not a full cast. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Sep 8, 2020 |
Truly, the most memorable characters in this book are the ones in Disaster Area.

Just ignore the inane ramblings of the most important person in the universe, Mr. Beeblebrox, the man who says What all the time, or the brilliant but somewhat easygoing Trillian, or Froody Ford. They're just bit players. Indeed, the character that chews cud is rather more intelligent than the grand majority of those B-Cast characters sent to crash on that backwater planet with the official main characters.

Didn't you know? Between Disaster Area and the robot with the brain the size of a planet are the ULTIMATE main characters.

And now that we've met the meat... welcome to the best show in the universe served up with a huge side dish of pokes at God (or some philosophical backwater person who claims to be the leader of said Universe), the Universe, and Everything.

Anyone want to play a game of scrabble? ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
It's more of the same from the first, but a little bit darker. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a longtime friend and expert contributor to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,531,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible