Das Restaurant am Ende des Universums. by…

Das Restaurant am Ende des Universums. (original 1980; edition 1998)

by Douglas Adams

Member:timoheuer
Title:Das Restaurant am Ende des Universums.
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Heyne (1998), Paperback, 235 pages
Rating:**
Tags:douglas adams, englische literatur, scifi

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (1980)

Recently added byGriffin22, private library, leon.guevara, ChrisMidgley, gltch, adamcrume, Oryphany, Lepophagus
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (128)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Slovak (1)  All (136)
I adore this series so much, I can't really review it - I end up gushing about it :)

This installment shows a bit more bite in the underlying social commentary, but is still subtle. I may not have even noticed it if it hadn't come up in conversation with a very astute friend.

My friend explained that part of why he's not fond of this series is that he sees vitriol driving the wacky humor and fairly absurd action. That struck me as really odd when we had the conversation, and stayed with me as I've been listening to these books. Frankly, he's right - it's there.

Martin Freeman continues to do an outstanding job of narration! I really hope he continues to do audiobooks - I want to heat a lot more from him. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
This is the story of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy part 2. The book starts off in the Star Ship Heart of Gold, with our heroes; Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect, Galactic President Zaphod Beebelbrox, Trillian, and Marvin, the paranoid android. As they are headed through space, Arthur feels as if it is a great time for a cup of tea. He tries to get the computer to give him a cup of tea, but it only dispenses a cup full of liquid that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea. Arthur gets the computer circuits stuck on making tea. Whilst this is happening, a fleet of Vogon attack ships jump out of hyperspace and attack the Heart of Gold. Zaphod knows that the only way to get out of this situation is to summon his dead great grandfather, Zaphod Beebelbrox IV. Zaphod and Zaphod have a long argument. After it passes Zaphod lets Zaphod and the rest go free, with one exception. Arthur, Ford, and Trillian wake up to find that Zaphod IV and president Zaphod are both gone. Zaphod wakes up to find that he is gone from the ship. He is actually at Ursa Minor. He travels along and finds the building of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy which is shaped in a rather large H. He goes in to the building because he finds out from himself he needs to find someone named Zarniwoop. He finds out that Zarniwoop is in his office, but he is on an intergalactic cruise. He goes to Zarniwoop's office to find him. He also finds that Marvin is there as well. They then discover that the building is under attack by Frogstar fighters. In the commotion a man named Rooster helps Zaphod get out of trouble by sending Marvin to stop the fighter. The building is carried through space to land a Frogstar World B. Rooster tells Zaphod that he is not to go out through the door, but rather the window. Zaphod tries the door, but Rooster had locked it, so Zaphod climes out the window to find that Marvin is there. Marvin explains that he go the robot to destroy the floor and fall through it. Zaphod and Marvin clime down the tower which is declined at a 45 degree angle. Once down Zaphod hears a voice, the voice explains that his body and him got into a divorce. The voice tells Zaphod to go down the corridor which leads to the total perspective vortex. Anyone who goes into the perspective vortex never comes out. Except Zaphod Beebelbrox president of the galaxy. When he emerges the voice is astonished. "What did the vortex tell you?" said the voice. "It told me," said Zaphod, "that I'm a really cool guy," Zaphod is allowed to leave and finds some underground ruins. He finds a commercial jet that is still running, but has had a 900+ year delay. Zaphod finds Zarniwoop there, and Zarniwoop says that they need to find the man who rules the universe. The president does not have any actual power, but rather draws attention away from it. Zarniwoop makes the star ship Heart of gold appear from a piece of metal in Zaphod's pocket. Zaphod enters and all the machines turn on again. Zaphod tells the ship to take him to the nearest place to eat. A cloud of smoke appears and everyone but Zarniwoop disappears. Arthur, Ford, Trillian, and Zaphod appear at a restaurant named Milliways. Milliways is the restaurant at the end of the universe. Zaphod, Ford, Arthur, and Trillian are seated at a table in the restaurant, when Ford notices an old friend, Hotblack Desiato. Hotblack's bodyguard tells Ford that Hotblack is dead for tax reasons. Zaphod and the rest go and steal a ship to get back to their own time, and the ship looks very nice. They try to get the ship working but the auto pilot does it for them. They soon find out that the ship belongs to Disaster Area, the rock band that Hotblack plays for. They then realize that the ship is going to dive into the sun, as part of the show. Arthur finds a teleport that Marvin has to operate, so all the rest may leave except for Marvin who must stay behind. Arthur and Ford find them selves in a rather large ship. They look around and see a wall of frozen coffins with people inside. An officer finds them and "arrests" them. The officer goes to his captain who is taking a bath and tells him that he has gotten prisoners. Arthur and Ford show up and find out that they will crash land on a planet in a few minuets. Meanwhile, somewhere far in the galaxy Zaphod, Trillian, and Zarniwoop are seeing the ruler of the universe. This ruler is a very confused man and doesn't really understand what is going on. Zaphod and Trillian leave Zarniwoop and fly off with the Heart of Gold. The ship that Arthur and Ford are on then crashes. Arthur and Ford decide that there is nothing to do on the planet, so they try to find out where they are. In a glacier they find a signature. The signature of Slartibartfast. They now know that this is the earth and that they are standing on Norway. The go back to prehistoric England. Arthur tries to teach a cave man how to play scrabble. He looks back and finds that the cave man has spelled out Forty-Two. Arthur pulls out letters from the bag of letters and spells out "What do you get when you multiply six by nine". Ford and Arthur are confused and just give up.
I didn't like this book as much as I did when I read it for the first time, but it was still incredible. I liked it because of the amount of sheer humor it had, and the way the humor was presented, don't even get me started. Some of the jokes were obvious, such as the cow that invited everyone to eat it to avoid humanity problems, but some of the jokes are a lot harder to understand. One of them is this, one of the members of Disaster Area was named Hotblack Desiato. Hotblack Desiato was is a estate company, but it's to hard for me to enplane the connections right now. I liked how the book was very similar to the radio series that came before it. Also, there are some very good audio books that you can listen to online. This book is very nice, so if you have a friend who likes sci-fi I recommend them to read it. Fair warning, this book can make you hungry. ( )
  AndrewH.B4 | May 5, 2018 |
Like the first book in the series, this is a hard one to rate. While I do greatly enjoy the story itself in general, and find myself bursting into chortles every few sentences, I still lack any sense of connection to the characters or the plot. I had so much fun listening to this on audiobook, but it didn't ever come to the point where I felt I really loved this book. There's just so much going on, and at times it feels like too much of a mess. This is my current opinion, anyway. I may well be reading this again, this time in actual book form, in order to form a more coherent one. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
The second book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. This book continues the adventures of Arthur Dent who was saved from being annihilated when the earth was blown up to make may for a bypass. I enjoyed this one more than the first book I think though Arthur really doesn't have much for a part in this book. He is traveling through space and time and ends back where he started only he has traveled back in time. Lots of laughs. ( )
  Kristelh | Mar 13, 2018 |
Not quite as magical as the first one. I had a harder time following what was going on, the book barely takes a breath. However, the writing is still incredible, the situations are creative and zany. I loved the Restaurant bit so much, I wish they'd stayed there and make that the focus of the book. But that's not Adams' style, so I can't complain too much. ( )
  hskey | Jan 27, 2018 |

Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwarz, BenjaminTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a long-time friend and expert contributer to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

Will they make it? The answer: hard to say. But bear in mind that The Hitchhiker’s Guide deleted the term “Future Perfect” from its pages, since it was discovered not to be!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Earthling Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox, the ex-president of the galaxy, are all aboard a space ship on a search for answers about life, the universe, and the perfect place to eat in space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible