The Resturant at the end of the Universe by…

The Resturant at the end of the Universe (original 1980; edition 1980)

by Douglas Adams

Title:The Resturant at the end of the Universe
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Harmony Books (1980), Hardcover
Tags:Science Fiction, Humor

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (1980)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (104)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (112)
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe continues the story of hapless Earthling Arthur Dent's travels across the space-time continuum. Once again, he is accompanied by an odd cast of characters, including his best friend Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two-headed, three-armed former president of the Galaxy and his girlfriend Trillian, and Marvin the Paranoid (and clinically depressed) Android.

I found Restauant more satirical, and more funny, than Hitchhiker, but also more episodic. I don't think Restauant can stand alone. Still, it's worth reading as part of the series. ( )
  akblanchard | Nov 17, 2015 |
Not as good as the first one but still wonderfully quirky and fun. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
Not as good as the first one but still wonderfully quirky and fun. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
I'm not sure if this book was just better than Hitchhiker, if I was in a different place in my life (I read this a few years after failing to read Hitchhiker), if I was invested in the characters because I'd just finished the Hitchhiker audiobook, or if life just makes less sense than that. Whatever the reason, I really enjoyed this one. Certainly one of the funnier books I've read, though not in the stratosphere with books like Christopher Moore's Lamb or Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos. ( )
  jscape2000 | Jul 5, 2015 |
So much nonsense and so much sense. So good. I cannot WAIT to read more Douglas Adams.

I'm a bit sad that Trillian does nothing, but everyone else is very cool. Zaphod has nice adventures, Ford and Arthur brave the wilderness, and Marvin is pleasantly mopy. I love Marvin so much. I hope he comes back in the next book. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jun 22, 2015 |

Roberts, AdamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a long-time friend and expert contributer to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

Will they make it? The answer: hard to say. But bear in mind that The Hitchhiker’s Guide deleted the term “Future Perfect” from its pages, since it was discovered not to be!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Earthling Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox, the ex-president of the galaxy, are all aboard a space ship on a search for answers about life, the universe, and the perfect place to eat in space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible