The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by…

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (original 1980; edition 2001)

by Douglas Adams

Member:joeeasterly
Title:The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Phoenix Audio (2001), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Fiction & Literature, eBooks, Audiobooks
Tags:science fiction, comic fantasy

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (1980)

Recently added bystevemiedema, elorin, JGrahamKing, private library, GOOMPI, davemiedema, althaeria, pcgardner
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (135)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (144)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but it didn't quite measure up to the first book. There were many parts that I thought were wonderful and had that quirky, often dry humor I loved from the first book, but it seemed to veer off course every once in awhile for me and lose that "spark". ( )
  jbin8604 | Jun 23, 2019 |
Not as entertaining as the first book, but still a funny book. There were times where I was laughing out loud, but a lot of the story seemed a little aimless. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
This one I seem to recall feeling was just a bit too out there and made me feel even more disconnected from the world than the previous book, which I had somewhat enjoyed. Might be simply where I was in 1997...

read in 11997 HE on the Holocene Calendar
Destinie (now ShiraDest) ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |

read in 11997 HE on the Holocene Calendar
Destinie (now ShiraDest) ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
I never read any of this author's work although I heard a lot of rave reviews of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and when I was wandering in a library in Kansas City nearly 18 years ago, I saw that they had the sequel (but not the first) and the peculiar cover art intrigued me to rent the book and give it a shot even though I never read the first.

Now, I cannot recall every nuance because I read it a very long time ago, but I do know that even though I never read the first, the book can pretty much stand on its own, I didn't have too much of a hard time getting into the action and it was making me laugh with its strange sense of homor throught the entire book.

Will a Sci-Fi spoof comedy book make everyone else laugh? I don't know. I tried to explain the plot of this book to a former coworker who was nervously nodding in agreement with me. I think she thought I was nutty and probably own too many cats.

Have I read the first book? To this very day, I must admit I should have but the series isn't popular in the country where I live in and I'm unsure if an ebook exists of the rest of the series. I would give them a try though! ( )
  chirikosan | Feb 25, 2019 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a long-time friend and expert contributer to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

Will they make it? The answer: hard to say. But bear in mind that The Hitchhiker’s Guide deleted the term “Future Perfect” from its pages, since it was discovered not to be!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Earthling Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox, the ex-president of the galaxy, are all aboard a space ship on a search for answers about life, the universe, and the perfect place to eat in space.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible