The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by…

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (original 1980; edition 2005)

by Douglas Adams

Member:ksnider
Title:The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Space, Humor

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (1980)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (116)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (124)
Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Adams
Audio performance by Martin Freeman
2.5 stars

I did like The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which is a little surprising, because it isn’t the kind of humor that usually appeals to me. However, I did laugh at it. The satire had just the right amount of bite to make me love the exaggerated absurdity. In this book ... not so much. It felt too much like an overdone reworking of the gags in the first book.

I did have a favorite bit that saved the book from being a complete waste of time. It was the discourse on the grammar of time travel.

The major problem ( with time travel ) is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it.

It’s a teacher thing. I got a laugh out of just imagining the complications of teaching and correcting a time travel grammar lesson. My red pencil is twitching. ( )
  msjudy | Jun 12, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Grab your towel and DON'T PANIC is my advice reading this book!
It's so absurd and at some points just hilarious. It had been a while since I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I had forgotten a bit just how absurd it was. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was more of the same, and in my humble opinion a good follow-up to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
But I couldn't help but notice that I found myself not exactly wishing to continue reading the series right now.

So long and thanks for all the fish! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I thought the first book was great so I was looking forward to reading this, but it just didn't grab me until about 10 pages from the end. I found some of the constant sub-plots uninteresting and I thought a lot of the book didn't add the the story, it all felt a bit disjointed and I felt like there was generally a complete lack of storyline- but I guess that's just the 'quirky' way it's meant to be written. I did find some of it funny though and I think I'm probably giving it a higher rating than I should just because I liked the first one so much, but I doubt I'll be carrying on with the series. ( )
  blakktreacle | May 10, 2016 |
I was too much impressed by the first book. The humor in this series is too good and reader should never try to relate things :)
Though 2nd book that is this book had many funny situations didnt impress me as the first one, but as always i liked the crazy ideas from the author :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
Arthur Dent accidentally jams the computer with a request for tea, Zaphod is sent through the Total Perspective Vortex, and the whole group is reunited at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, millions of years into the future, but while escaping, Arthur and Ford are teleported to a ship that crashes on prehistoric Earth. This book picks up right where the previous one ended - don't read these out of order. I especially liked Zaphod and Marvin's side trip to Frogstar World B, the kooky visit to Milliways, and Arthur and Ford's trying to figure out how to live on Earth. Adams humor permeates - if you like it, you'll like this. I like Martin Freeman as the reader for the audio version, but some of the sound effects are annoying. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 26, 2016 |

Roberts, AdamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a long-time friend and expert contributer to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

Will they make it? The answer: hard to say. But bear in mind that The Hitchhiker’s Guide deleted the term “Future Perfect” from its pages, since it was discovered not to be!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Earthling Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox, the ex-president of the galaxy, are all aboard a space ship on a search for answers about life, the universe, and the perfect place to eat in space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,776,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible