The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by…

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (original 1980; edition 2005)

by Douglas Adams

12,079None207 (4.07)184
Member:ksnider
Title:The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Space, Humor

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (Author) (1980)

20th century (69) aliens (59) Arthur Dent (34) British (124) comedy (196) Douglas Adams (112) ebook (43) English (40) fantasy (241) fiction (1,184) funny (40) h2g2 (101) hitchhiker (45) Hitchhiker's Guide (117) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (77) humor (1,369) novel (165) own (63) paperback (53) read (244) satire (93) science fiction (2,309) series (136) sf (294) sff (98) space (66) space travel (63) time travel (64) to-read (42) unread (33)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (96)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (104)
I thought this addition to the series was fantastic and didn't have problems that the first one did. There was a better plot that was more entertaining than the first book, which ended up losing my interest in the middle bit. It gave Arthur, Ford, and Trillian a better character line and the dry wit was once again, spot on and hilarious. Nowhere did the story and humour feel like it was shoving down your throat. I'm hoping the third book has even more sci-fi humour just like this one! ( )
  bubblyair | Apr 7, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Grab your towel and DON'T PANIC is my advice reading this book!
It's so absurd and at some points just hilarious. It had been a while since I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I had forgotten a bit just how absurd it was. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was more of the same, and in my humble opinion a good follow-up to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
But I couldn't help but notice that I found myself not exactly wishing to continue reading the series right now.

So long and thanks for all the fish! ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
The (not so) intrepid space travelers Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian, and Marvin the Depressed Robot find them selves quite hungry after their recent adventures and go looking the perfect place to eat in space. Along the way, they get distracted by Zaphod's erased memories, which are driving him to complete a mission so secret even he doesn't remember it.

Much more of the same gags and pseudo-dangers with our characters stumbling about the wacky galaxy, not really sure what they're doing or why they're there have the time. Still quite entertaining. ( )
  andreablythe | Dec 16, 2013 |
Carry-over euphoria got me into this one. But it came along nicely. I really enjoy Marvin, and I kept hoping that if Marvin's brain was the size of a planet then Earth would be Marvin's brain. It would explain a lot about how things turn out around here. Do read it, it's where I discovered than an Emcee was actually a (spoiler alert!) Compere. I've read this book at least twice. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 9, 2013 |
This was a really good sequel following the first. My version had a few typos but I really enjoyed it overall. ( )
  charlottejones952 | Sep 2, 2013 |

Roberts, AdamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."
Information from the Hungarian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a long-time friend and expert contributer to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

Will they make it? The answer: hard to say. But bear in mind that The Hitchhiker’s Guide deleted the term “Future Perfect” from its pages, since it was discovered not to be!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

Earthling Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox, the ex-president of the galaxy, are all aboard a space ship on a search for answers about life, the universe, and the perfect place to eat in space.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible