The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by…

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (original 1980; edition 2005)

by Douglas Adams

Member:ksnider
Title:The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Del Rey (2005), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Space, Humor

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams (1980)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (JessamyJane)
    Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt (bmlg)
    bmlg: hapless Brit everyman is caught up in world-shaking (and world-ending) events; absurdist humour with a hint of pathos

English (101)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (109)
Either this wasn't as stupid as the first Adams book, or he's simply growing on me. Some of it really did strike me as humorous and not all of it was quite as sophomoric as the first book. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
The Basics

The second book in the Hitchhiker’s Guide Series, we get more crazy hijinks. Primarily, Zaphod is set on a mission not of his own making to find the ruler of the universe, and Arthur and Ford get zapped two million years back in time. But not before they get to have a meal at Milliways, where you can witness firsthand the end of everything as we know it.

My Thoughts

I mentioned in my review of the first book that I found this one more enjoyable, because I was so heavily spoiled for the first. It does go to show that avoiding spoilers can change your experience entirely. I got more of that sense that Adams can and will do anything in a story. He’ll introduce his readers to the ruler of the universe, show them the end of said universe, then the beginning of another. He’s not afraid to go upside-down and backwards with his writing, and that’s equal parts delightful and frustrating.

I say frustrating because there is no cohesive plot for this story. The closest I can come is to say that the nature of the universe and why we’re here is a theme. But as amusing as Milliways was, it took over the story from what probably mattered more: Zaphod’s adventure in finding the ruler of the universe. There’s humor in that, that Zaphod himself cares so little about something 1) so intriguing and 2) that would explain a lot about himself. Yet as a reader, there are times I sigh and wonder, “okay, what are we doing here? What about that other thing that was supposedly so important?”

I guess that’s when I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, because these books really are best when taken in stride and not seriously whatsoever. Because when the plot shot randomly off and sent Arthur and Ford back in time, I shrugged and smiled and rode the wave. It’s a bold move to change the plot so often that it basically doesn’t have one, and I have to shut my brain off to enjoy that, but that’s what these books are best for. To be entertaining and make you giggle, and it did that.

Final Rating

4/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
Meh. It's worse then the first book. I couldn't care less about any of the characters at this point. It's just randomness. Not funny at all. ( )
  Me-chan | Jun 19, 2014 |
Fun satirical reading in the same vein as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Arthur Dent's adventures across the universe continue as he, along with a few characters first encountered in the previous volume, are diverted from their adventures to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, where they can observe the death of the universe while fine dining. Fun reading. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 23, 2014 |
The short version is that I didn't like this book nearly as much as the first in the series, but it was still a good read and I continue to enjoy Douglas Adams' writing style. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |

Roberts, AdamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
[Book 2 Only] "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" is the title of the second in a series of novels (as well as the second in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

Facing annihilation at the hands of the warlike Vogons? Time for a cup of tea! Join the cosmically displaced Arthur Dent and his uncommon comrades in arms in their desperate search for a place to eat, as they hurtle across space powered by pure improbability.

Among Arthur’s motley shipmates are Ford Prefect, a long-time friend and expert contributer to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; Zaphod Beeblebrox, the three-armed, two-headed ex-president of the galaxy; Tricia McMillan, a fellow Earth refugee who’s gone native (her name is Trillian now); and Marvin, the moody android. Their destination? The ultimate hot spot for an evening of apocalyptic entertainment and fine dining, where the food speaks for itself (literally).

Will they make it? The answer: hard to say. But bear in mind that The Hitchhiker’s Guide deleted the term “Future Perfect” from its pages, since it was discovered not to be!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:36 -0400)

Earthling Arthur Dent, Ford Perfect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox, the ex-president of the galaxy, are all aboard a space ship on a search for answers about life, the universe, and the perfect place to eat in space.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,445,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible