dismiss

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Swallows and Amazons (1930)

by Arthur Ransome

Series: Swallows and Amazons (1)

The crew of the Swallow spend an adventurous summer on an English lake.
    Swallowdale by Arthur Ransome (rakerman)
    rakerman: If you enjoyed Swallows and Amazons, you should enjoy Swallowdale, as it is a direct sequel with the same characters, set one year later.
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (rakerman)
    rakerman: Both Swallows and Amazons and The Wind in the Willows are classic stories for children that involve boating and adventures.
    The Far Distant Oxus by Katharine Hull (Aquila)
    Aquila: Written by two school girls, and recommended for publishing by Arthur Ransome, holidays with ponies and rafts, a lovely read.
    Cargo of Horses by Monica Edwards (Aquila)
    Two Little Savages by Ernest Thompson Seton (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: Both books have a benign sense of human nature and a love of the outdoors. Both teach lots of interesting things about what the kids are doing as well as entertain. S&A teaches sailing craft, for the most part, and TLS teaches woodcraft. (Don't be put off by the "savages". The book is respectful; the language is dated.)… (more)
    The Island of Adventure by Enid Blyton (LucyClements)
    The Wouldbegoods: Being the Further Adventures of the Treasure Seekers by Edith Nesbit (HollyMS)
    The Story of the Treasure Seekers by Edith Nesbit (HollyMS)

Thought it was as short as boxcar children when first saw in magazines, super glad it wasn´t.
Wish I was one of them ( )
  Wanda-Gambling | May 9, 2020 |
I read this book when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I remember having to ask about a lot of words because there is a lot of sailing terminology. Overall, I enjoyed this book. Though the book was slow-paced, it told a story about young kids from 1929 and their adventures. They learn to think independently while exploring an island they found.

I highly recommend this book for young-adult readers. I feel like it was too young to understand the meaning of this book. I'm definitely going to read this book again when I have the time! ( )
  sarveshi | May 6, 2020 |
Wonderful kids' book from the 1930's. First of a series of twelve. Takes you into a time and place where kids could be kids, camping in nature for summer holiday, adventurous and imaginative: the author remembered what it's like to be a child. I love the sense of humor and the writing style which describes small moments in detail- a squirrel's journey from one branch to another or a dipper bobbing on a rock. This is the sort of book that a kid can treasure and make it part of his or her own life. Lots of nautical terminology and references to classic sea-adventure books. ( )
  H.A.Byrd | Apr 11, 2020 |
Orig. publ. 1930 ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
A totally charming tale of children and boats and summer freedom.

The book makes me depressed though, as it stands as testament to how little competence we assign kids these days, keeping them sheltered and unable to acquire life skills like independent problem solving.
  fionaanne | Dec 6, 2019 |
It is easily imaginable that "Swallows and Amazons" attained its special quality of happiness in its author's mind when, as correspondent to the London Daily News and the Manchester Guardian, he was living through the tragedies of the Front or exploring the chaos of revolutionary Russia. For here is everything that the Front was not and that Russia is not - peace, innocence, family life at its loveliest, laughter and security.

The story is plotted so slightly that the American boy, weaned on "westerns," may turn up his nose at such a low-pitched tale. It will be his loss. Four children go camping on an island in one of the English lakes. Two rival campers - girls, at that - appear, and joyfully agree on war.

But Mr. Ransome has marshalled many aides. First, a reality of scene. As in Defoe, no detail is too insignificant to gloss over, yet the itemizing never grows wearisome, and a store of handy things to know about sailing is secreted in the pages. Second, a reality of characters. They are born alive and do not have to be described.

"Swallows and Amazons" will gain by being read aloud. The child who hears will live gaily, whether on Wild Cat Island or in Octopus Lagoon, while the parent who reads will remember idyllic hours. For this book is both silvery present and golden retrospect. ...

Ransome, Arthurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Palosuo, MainiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rotgans, H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salač, Antonín LudvíkIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørensen, KaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spurrier, StephenMaps drawn bysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ster, Jacobus van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webb, CilffordIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winther, Eugenie GeelmuydenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolfová, ZoraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Or like stout Cortez, when with eagle eyes,
He stared at the Pacific -- and all his men
Looked at each other with a wild surmise --
Silent, upon a peak in Darien."

Chapter I - The peak in Darien.
"What care I for a goose-feather bed,
With the sheet turned down so bravely, O?
For to-night I shall sleep in the cold open field
Along with the wraggle-taggle gipsies, O!"

Chapter II - Making ready.
"There were three sailors of Bristol City
Who took a boat and went to sea;
But first with beef and captain's biscuits
And pickled pork they loaded she"
THACKERAY

Chapter III - The voyage to the island.
"Then, having washed the blood away, we'd little else to do
Than to dance a quiet hornpipe as the old salts taught us to."
MASEFIELD

Chapter XXVII - The battle in Houseboat Bay.
For the six for whom it was written, in exchange for a pair of slippers.
I have often been asked how I came to write Swallows and Amazons.

Author's note, 19 May 1958 (some post-1958 editions).
Roger, aged seven, and no longer the youngest of the family, ran in wide zigzags, to and fro, across the steep field that sloped up from the lake to Holly Howe, the farm where they were staying for part of the summer holidays.
BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS IF NOT DUFFERS WONT DROWN
This record is for the original work, Swallows and Amazons (Jonathan Cape, 1930), and still in print. Also translations and unabridged audiobooks. Please do not combine with extracts, or with The Swallows and the Amazons (Amazon Publications, 1997), a limited edition annotated transcript of an early draft of S&A.

To John, Susan, Titty and Roger, simply being allowed to use the boat to go camping on the island is adventure enough. But they soon find themselves under attack from the fierce Amazon Pirates, Nancy and Peggy. And so begins a summer of battles, alliances, exploration and discovery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,735,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible