El Ruido Y La Furia/ The Noise and the Fury…

El Ruido Y La Furia/ The Noise and the Fury (Letras Universales) (original 1929; edition 2005)

by William Faulkner, Maria Eugenia Diaz Sanchez (Editor)

10,864113259 (4.02)2 / 560
Member:capanegra
Title:El Ruido Y La Furia/ The Noise and the Fury (Letras Universales)
Authors:William Faulkner
Other authors:Maria Eugenia Diaz Sanchez (Editor)
Info:Ediciones Catedra S.A. (2005), Edition: 6, Paperback, 359 pages
Tags:aviermen

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)

Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    More than human by Theodore Sturgeon (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: A sci-fi romp through--intentionally so--much of the same territory.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (AdonisGuilfoyle)
    AdonisGuilfoyle: The similarities are not obvious, but both stories contain the gothic destruction of two families. That, and there are two Quentins in Faulkner's novel to match the confusion of Cathys in 'Wuthering Heights', and Jason Compson is almost as cruel and twisted as Heathcliff. Enjoy!… (more)

English (105)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (113)
Faulkner is an acquired taste. He makes you work for it, but once you understand it- it's worth it. This novel is about a broken family: a mentally challenged son, a son who develops Oedipus complex and an extreme asshole of a son. These three boy's lives all revolve around their sister- Caddy. The book is chock full of little epiphanies and I'll admit I didn't pick it up on my own, it was an assignment but I am glad for it. Read it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Original post at Book Rhapsody.

***

Intro

I got acquainted with Faulkner when I borrowed this anthology of short stories in our college library. A Rose for Emily, yes, that’s it. It’s quite long for the average short story, but I like it so much that I made a mental note to buy a Faulkner novel.

So this is my first Faulkner novel. And this is an altogether different experience from the Faulkner short story. If the latter is a gripping and captivating reading, the former is quite an exhausting mental exercise.

Here goes anything.

The Rhapsody

This is one of the toughest books that I’ve ever read. I remember I had to reread the first chapter twice, but I still didn’t quite get it. Reading a story that’s going on inside the head of a retarded son is hard because first, the scenes are jumpy, and second, they hardly make any sense.

The first few pages could send readers throwing the book away and giving up on it, but as the introduction in my edition says, finishing the book would feel like fog evaporating and letting the reader see everything as they are. It is this patchy story-telling of the Compson family that makes this a monumental work. Add the then newfangled stream of consciousness technique and you have a classic, yes?

I’ve already mentioned the retard, and to complete the list, there’s also the alcoholic dad, the neurotic mom, the suicidal son, the avaricious other son, and the slutty daughter. And who’s holding this family together?

Dilsey, the black servant. Ironic, isn’t it?

So what does it want to say? What are its themes? Hmm. Family disintegration. The loss of ideals. The battle to preserve these ideals. The question of morality. Pragmatism, perhaps? And a bit of existentialism.

All these are packed in this book, but in number of pages, it is not very long. After reading this though, one would realize that it is not the page numbers that determine the length of a novel. It is the time spent on reading it, and yes, I spent more time than necessary on this one.

I actually want to reread this, but I don’t think the right time for that is coming soon.

Final Notes

I’ve always been interested in the title of this novel. And the truth is, I don’t really get it. I’ve researched it. I know it is something that is taken from Shakespeare’s Macbeth, which I haven’t read or any Shakespearean work for that matter, but I still don’t get it.

It is full of sound and fury signifying nothing. But is this novel really that insignificant? I doubt the author would go through all that writing if he did not intend to say something given that he is a Nobel laureate. Well, the Nobel might have come after the publishing of this book, but what the hey, I really can’t say if I got this one.

Seriously, as if I am not serious enough, it must be the notion that this idiot’s tale is not something to take seriously. Hence, his sound and fury? Sound can be noise, which is meaningless, but sound can be music. Now there’s a point. And what about fury? Is it less than angst or anger or anything of that sort? Aren’t they under one section of the emotions department? Maybe violent emotions?

But that last question is arbitrary. Fury can be muted. Oh well. But yes, I like the novel anyway. It’s weird, thinking about. How could I like anything that I don’t fully understand? Maybe that’s the reason I like it, and I’d like it even more if I understand it fully, don’t you think? ( )
  angusmiranda | Jun 10, 2014 |
One of the most haunting books I've ever read. I carried around these stories for days after I read them. ( )
  PontiffMaximus | May 15, 2014 |
Liked the book a lot more the second read-thru. A lot of unlikable characters. Would have been a 5 if the final section was better. ( )
  blanderson | Mar 4, 2014 |
I've procrastinated for weeks writing this review because anything I write will seem trivial and trite for such an impressive work of literature. The basic story is about the gradual downfall of the Compson family, who were once part of the Southern landed wealthy families. The family is facing much more difficult times and no longer has the money or respect that they once commanded. And on top of this, Caddy Compson has disgraced the family by becoming pregnant before she is married and her brother Benjy is mentally retarded. The story is told from 4 different narrators and flips back and forth from the present to the past. The first narrator is Benjy who is an adult man, but has the intelligence of a young child. This part was the most challenging section to read. Benjy's train of thought flips about without warning and you are transported from the present to 30 years in the past without a break or any indication that the setting has changed. There were many times during this part where I was tempted to give up. I could not follow the plot at all. I actually ended up finding a summary of the book online and after reading that, I started the book over and really enjoyed the 2nd time around. Faulkner's style is so unusual. Once you start the book it feels like you are experiencing an event - watching it as an outsider - and trying to piece together what is happening. The characters he creates are vivid and I find myself loving some of them and despising others. Although I finished this book several weeks ago, it still stays with me. Again - difficult to describe or explain my enjoyment of this book, but a very high recommendation. ( )
  jmoncton | Feb 11, 2014 |

Faulkner, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dewey, Kenneth FrancisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gardner, GroverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaila, KaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minter, David L.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warren, Robert PennIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting.
Once a bitch, always a bitch, what I say.
Got it at the getting place.
'You're not a gentleman, Spoade said. 'No, I'm Canadian.' Shreve said.
"Dogs are dead." Caddy said. "And when Nancy fell in the ditch and Roskus shot her and the buzzards came and undressed her."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679732241, Paperback)

The ostensible subject of The Sound and the Fury is the dissolution of the Compsons, one of those august old Mississippi families that fell on hard times and wild eccentricity after the Civil War. But in fact what William Faulkner is really after in his legendary novel is the kaleidoscope of consciousness--the overwrought mind caught in the act of thought. His rich, dark, scandal-ridden story of squandered fortune, incest (in thought if not in deed), madness, congenital brain damage, theft, illegitimacy, and stoic endurance is told in the interior voices of three Compson brothers: first Benjy, the "idiot" man-child who blurs together three decades of inchoate sensations as he stalks the fringes of the family's former pasture; next Quentin, torturing himself brilliantly, obsessively over Caddy's lost virginity and his own failure to recover the family's honor as he wanders around the seedy fringes of Boston; and finally Jason, heartless, shrewd, sneaking, nursing a perpetual sense of injury and outrage against his outrageous family.

If Benjy's section is the most daringly experimental, Jason's is the most harrowing. "Once a bitch always a bitch, what I say," he begins, lacing into Caddy's illegitimate daughter, and then proceeds to hurl mud at blacks, Jews, his sacred Compson ancestors, his glamorous, promiscuous sister, his doomed brother Quentin, his ailing mother, and the long-suffering black servant Dilsey who holds the family together by sheer force of character.

Notoriously "difficult," The Sound and the Fury is actually one of Faulkner's more accessible works once you get past the abrupt, unannounced time shifts--and certainly the most powerful emotionally. Everything is here: the complex equilibrium of pre-civil rights race relations; the conflict between Yankee capitalism and Southern agrarian values; a meditation on time, consciousness, and Western philosophy. And all of it is rendered in prose so gorgeous it can take your breath away. Here, for instance, Quentin recalls an autumnal encounter back home with the old black possum hunter Uncle Louis:

And we'd sit in the dry leaves that whispered a little with the slow respiration of our waiting and with the slow breathing of the earth and the windless October, the rank smell of the lantern fouling the brittle air, listening to the dogs and to the echo of Louis' voice dying away. He never raised it, yet on a still night we have heard it from our front porch. When he called the dogs in he sounded just like the horn he carried slung on his shoulder and never used, but clearer, mellower, as though his voice were a part of darkness and silence, coiling out of it, coiling into it again. WhoOoooo. WhoOoooo. WhoOooooooooooooooo.
What Faulkner has created is a modernist epic in which characters assume the stature of gods and the primal family events resonate like myths. It is The Sound and the Fury that secures his place in what Edmund Wilson called "the full-dressed post-Flaubert group of Conrad, Joyce, and Proust." --David Laskin

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:36 -0400)

Retells the tragic times of the Compson family, including beautiful, rebellious Caddy; manchild Benjy; haunted, neurotic Quentin; Jason, the brutal cynic; and Dilsey, their Black servant.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,775,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible