Tale of the Greek Heroes by Roger Lancelyn…

Tale of the Greek Heroes

by Roger Lancelyn Green

Other authors: Rick Riordan (Introduction)

Recently added bykidsread, twendy, Ganzam, private library, suniru, Wildtony, uscer, caryxander, NarwhalQueen, AngelaB86
Legacy LibrariesC. S. Lewis
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaire (sturlington)
    sturlington: A better introduction to Greek mythology for young readers, in my opinion.

This is a very accessible introduction to the tales of the Greek heroes, including the labours of Heracles, the quest for the Golden Fleece, the bringing of fire to mankind, Typhon the Terrible, the adventures of Theseus, and of course Perseus slaying the Gorgon Medusa. The stories are presented in chronological (or perhaps sequential) order instead of in isolation, as many retellings did in the period that Green was writing. An author's note at the end explains his writing process but unfortunately does not contain any specific sources (apparently there were too many to mention). The book is divided into many relatively short chapters, each beginning with an appropriate quotation from poetry or Greek plays, and illustrations are provided throughout.

One story I'd forgotten about from previous readings was Talos, the man of brass who terrorized Crete. The way he was illustrated made him look a lot like a Cyberman from Doctor Who, five years before the show even began! Wonder if that provided any inspiration; after all, one of the Cybermen's home planets is Telos...

Overall I would recommend this if you're looking for an easy way into the stories of the Greek heroes prior to the Trojan War (which gets its own Roger Lancelyn Green retelling, The Tale of Troy). ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 2, 2016 |
This is a good introduction to some Greek Heroes' stories. The format is easy-to-read, although not that detailed so some of the stories come off as a little dry. Most of them are quick-reads and overall it is an easy text. I would recommend it as an introduction to the topic as a way for someone interested in Greek mythology to get a little summary of some of the stories the Greek mythology is famous for. ( )
  CareBear36 | Mar 8, 2014 |
I loved the Greek myths as a child. I also love this series, its design and how it makes the classics accessible to modern young readers. However, I did not love this particular rendition of the Greek myths. There is so much stuffed in here, so much attention paid to everyone's ancestry and exactly where things took place and a surfeit of detail, that the stories themselves are lost. Lacking is what made them so exciting to me as a young reader: the adventure, the sense of mystery and divinity. I would search for a better introduction to mythology, such as D'Aulaire's, which is what I read as a child. ( )
  sturlington | May 16, 2012 |
I think this was also my introduction to Greek Myths, and they were wonderful, but I remember just as much the illustrations (I wish I knew the name of the illustrator) and the snippets of poems at the beginning of each chapter. Many of them were translations from ancient poems and they were still ringing in my head when I visited Greece many years later. ( )
  gossypia | Apr 24, 2009 |
This book was my introduction to the Greek Myths of old. There was a certain feel to them, that was both strange, and sensible. Perseus naturally is an archetypal hero, along with Theseus and Jason and Hercules, these heroes come from a culture where being a hero meant having your name live forever in the epic poems. Of course, this requires people to listen to or read these ancient stories. But every time a child picks up a book of Greek Myths, these heroes live again, in the minds and imaginations of the young, to have these stories then told to their children. You never forget your first book of Greek Myths, and this was mine. ( )
  Jakeofalltrades | Aug 24, 2007 |

Green, Roger Lancelynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riordan, RickIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Middleton-Sandford, BettyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scholte, HenrikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once we fared with the Argo, sailing
The ancient seas for the Fleece of Gold,
The distant gleam and the song prevailing
Over the dragon guards of old;

And we have wandered the Islands ringing
With the Aegean thunder still,
Plucked the unfaded blossoms springing
Yet for us on the Muses' hill

--After Euripides
Hypsipyle
Dedicated to the memory of Emily and Gordon Bottomley
Before Luke Skywalker, before Batman, before even King Arthur, there were the Greek heroes. Those guys knew how to fight! [Introduction]
If ever you are lucky enough to visit the beautiful land of Greece, you will find a country haunted by more than three thousand years of history and legend. [Chapter 1]

A collection of nineteen Greek myths and legends features such tales as "The Story of Prometheus," "The Wanderings of Heracles," "The Quest of the Golden Fleece," and "The First Fall of Troy."

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141325283, 0141809094

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,226,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible