Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale

Notes from an Exhibition (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Patrick Gale

Member:MissMac
Title:Notes from an Exhibition
Authors:Patrick Gale
Info:HarperPerennial (2008), Paperback, 304 pages

Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale (2007)

English (34)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (38)
Patrick Gale is quite a well-known author in the UK, but, as far as I can tell, appears to be mostly unknown outside of Britain. Going by Notes from an Exhibition - the first of his novels I have read - I am certain why this would be the case: While there certainly is a good amount of Britishness to the novel, it is not to a greater degree or more offensively than in, say, the Harry Potter novels - and those blatantly had no issues with being popular outside of the UK.

Maybe it is not so much the content, but that Patrick Gale's works speaks to a certain, particularly English sensibility which, the occasional anglophile apart, just does not appeal to non-British readers. I think it would probably be interesting to explore that question - is there, apart from the language, an identifiable, formal or structural element in fiction that makes it particularly attractive to one nation rather than others? - and in all likelihood it has actually been done. But this would obviously take us too far away from the subject at hand, which is Patrick Gale's novel Notes from an Exhibition, so I shall just leave this standing as idle musing on my part and move on.

Notes from an Exhibition, then: The novel is ostensibly about the fictive painter Rachel Kelly, who dies in the first chapter (or, more precisely, off stage right after it ends); the novel then alternates between chapters depicting the reactions of her family to Rachel's death and flashbacks to the lives both of herself and her family before her death (in non-chronological order). Viewpoints change between chapters, and one of the things Gale does really well is to give each of them their distinctive voice - distinctive not just between characters, but also between the same character at different phases in their lives. Not everything is revealed to the reader right from the start - there are dark spots in Rachel's past her family is not aware of and only finds out about after her death, and there are spots the family knows about but the reader is kept in the dark about and only told about towards the end of the novel. As the existence and outline of those unexplored areas is pointed out quite early, Notes from an Exhibition turns into a bit of a mystery novel, with the reader in suspense as to what has actually happened - admittedly, this does not exactly generate nail-biting tension, but it does help the readability of the novel which chugs along at a very pleasant speed and is quite an enjoyable read.

Which - as you may not be surprised by if you have read around my reviews a bit - is actually somewhat of an issue for me, namely that the novel's form and language are so very conventional and unimaginative.

It may not look like it on first sight - true to its title, the novel at first literally presents itself as notes from an exhibition, and exhibition on the life and work of Rachel Kelly. Each chapter starts off with such a note describing either one of Rachel's pictures or an item relating to her life, like a piece of clothing she liked to wear. It is notable that most if not all Goodreads reviews of Gale's novel entirely miss the difference between the two and only talk of pictures, which sheds a rather dim light on how much attention most readers seem to be paying the books they are reading. To their defense, however, it has to be said that Gale does not appear to make anything of that distinction, either. And generally the relationship between the notes and the following chapter are very straightforward - if the note is about a picture, the chapter will show what is depicted on it or deal with the time it was created, and if it is a piece of clothing, Rachel will wear it. There is no tension between introductory notes and chapters at all, which makes it all very predictable and the notes end up being rather redundant, ornamental rather than essential to the novel.

Also it has to be said that the exhibition Gale presents is either singularly disorganised or that its imaginary visitor is zig-zagging through it a random. The novel starts with a death, and ends with another death, and as far as I can tell (with the - big - caveat that I just may have missed something) this is about all the structure Notes from an Exhibition has, apart from placing some revelations at the end to produce a mystery. The novel has an air of "just telling a good yarn" about it that I find very 19th century, and even its apparent breaking up of chronology is somewhat half-hearted, as the present-day parts are actually told in order, with flashbacks inserted between their orderly progress.

And finally, and most disappointingly, the language: Notes from an Exhibition is very well written, but in a very conventional way that never even attempts to push the reader out of their comfort zone. Admittedly, the novel may have been unlucky in that only a few weeks before I read Going Home by Doris Lessing. While that is mainly a book of political journalism it does start out with a lengthy description of the Africa of the author's youth, descriptions that are very painterly and quite abstract, dissolving the visible world into light, colour and shape - quite reminiscent, in fact, of the paintings of Rachel Kelly as Gale describes them but described in a way that would be appropriate to the way a painter of abstract pictures might perceive the world. As beautiful as Gale's language is, it falls flat when it comes to tackling his more extreme subjects, just seems too well-mannered to come to grips with things like abstract painting or bipolar disorder.

But I do not want to sound too grumpy: Notes from an Exhibition is by no means a bad novel; quite to the contrary. The characters have considerable depth, and the reader follows their fates with unflagging interest; also, as I mentioned before, they novel really excels at giving each his or her unique voice. It is also a very emotionally involving novel, it draws the reader in and lets them share in the life of Rachel and her family, the happy moments as well as the struggle and grief; and I doubt anyone can read the novel without being moved by it in several places, possibly even to tears (I at least had to reach for a tissue once or twice). Where Notes from an Exhibition really shines, however, is on the thematic - the way Gale weaves together his central subjects of art, life, mental disorder and family, gives each its proper weight and lets them all illuminate each other is exceptionally well done. But the real centre of the novel seems to - and noticing that did come as a surprise - Quakerism. The Quakers and their particular attitude to life and the world (of which I knew next to nothing before reading Gale's novel) are omnipresent throughout; even characters who are not Quakers themselves attend Meetings, and everything that happens stands in some relation to that experience and in particular to the silence happening in them which bears a special significance for Quakers. Gale manages to make it sound quite attractive even to a die-hard agnostic like myself, and, more importantly, he makes it the unobtrusive focal point of his novel by which everything is measured and to which everything eventually returns.

In short, I really liked Notes from an Exhibition and am looking forward to reading other works by Patrick Gale. But I also think it could have been a better novel if it wasn't so comfortable in its own confines, if it would risk more and not be so damnably... well, cozy. And maybe that is the answer to why this novel seems so very British - after all, England gave us cozy crimes and cozy catastrophes, so it may not be too far-fetched that this is a state of mind particularly well-suited to the English national character. Assuming, of course, that there even is such a thing.
  Larou | Dec 4, 2018 |
Many threads in non-linear order; I lost my way. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
So far there isn't a book by Patrick Gale that I've read and haven't enjoyed. That said, this is only the 4th I've read from his somewhat longer list of novels - 19 works to date. Clearly I have some good reading ahead of me! This book has so many elements that appeal to me. I like Gale's focus on families - especially those which are somewhat deviant from the imagined norm. Mental illness is also a subject near to my heart, and I find that Gale deals with this as it should be: by presenting cases in which the mentally ill person is really not that far outside the range of 'normal'. The boundary is unclear, except perhaps in retrospect. And retrospect is here aplenty. Everyone in this family has a real, believable character and so this reader found lots of valuable insights into real life. Of course, as with all Gale's books, there is solid representation of the gay community and I particularly appreciate the fact the sexual preference is also dealt with in a way that gives straight people (e.g. me) a real understanding of what non-straight people experience (in a western middle class society, such as the one in which I live). I have recently read the marvellous "A Measure of Light" by Beth Powning, which documents the Quaker experience in the New England region and the UK around the 1600s, so I warmed to the presence of serious Quakerism in Gale's story. In fact, I identify quite strongly with Gale's apparent approach to religion (I know nothing about his personal views, I just see how his characters relate to religion). That is, the religious are often seen to bring some good values to the world of human relationships, although the institutional church is seen as less relevant and the 'God' character doesn't rate much of a mention. The semi-rural Cornwall setting is so 'romantic' and yet my reading of Gale's continuing real life story suggests that what might be seen as merely romantic could be closer to reality than I might have guessed. There's not many places in the world I wish to visit, but now Penzance and Newlyn would definitely be on my list if I ever left Australia. ( )
  oldblack | Sep 28, 2016 |
I made it to the end, but I skipped many paragraphs, the 'life's too short' syndrome. Perhaps if I had had more time available. The observation of bipolar was realistic.
  welshhilary | Jun 5, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. Gale is an excellent story teller and in this story he weaves a complex family drama set in Cornwall and centred on an artist and her family. The book moves backwards and forwards in time to reveal family secrets. A rather abrupt ending but apart from that highly recommended. ( )
  sianpr | Apr 27, 2014 |
Artist Rachel Kelly's beloved youngest son, suitably named Petroc, once gave her six stones collected from a Cornish beach, each chosen to represent a member of the family. Rachel treasures these stones and, while engaged on a groundbreaking new series of paintings possibly inspired by them, dies of a heart attack in her Cornish loft-studio.

A death is a well-worn fictional opening device, but here Patrick Gale uses it cleverly to fresh effect. Told via notes from a posthumous retrospective of Rachel's work, which head each chapter, the narrative offers an unusual way into the half-dozen changing viewpoints that dot around in time and place, like apparently random pieces of a jigsaw. Fortunately for the reader, Gale guides us fairly confidently towards the full picture.
added by avatiakh | editThe Guardian, Rachel Hore (Feb 11, 2007)

If I'm on fire they dance around it
and cook marshmallows.
And if I'm ice
they simply skate on me
in little ballet costumes.
ANNE SEXTON, Live

Then I lie on my altar
elevated by the eight chemical kisses.
What a lay me down this is
with two pink; two orange;
two green, two white goodnights.
ANNE SEXTON, The Addict
For Aidan Hicks
Rachel was woken by a painting or, rather, by the idea of one.
As she drew near the car again she saw Rachel was smoking one of her very occasional cigarettes ... and concentrating on something she was drawing with the special tortoiseshell fountain pen that lived in her handbag.

From the author of A Perfectly Good Man, the bestselling story of an artist tormented by depression and the toll of creativity.

When troubled artist Rachel Kelly dies she leaves behind an extraordinary body of work – but for her family there is a legacy of secrets and painful revelations.

Rachel exerts a power that outlives her. To her children she is both curse and blessing, as they cope with the inheritance of her passions – and demons. Only their father's gift of stillness can withstand Rachel’s destructive influence and the suspicion that they all came a poor second to her art.

Piecing together the clues of her life – as artist, lover, mother, wife and patient – takes the reader from Cornwall to Canada across a span of forty years. What emerges is a tender story of enduring love, and a portrait of a family coping with the sometimes too dazzling brilliance of a genius.

When troubled artist Rachel Kelly dies painting obsessively in her attic studio in Penzance, her saintly husband and adult children have more than the usual mess to clear up. She leaves behind an extraordinary and acclaimed body of work - but she also leaves a legacy of secrets and emotional damage that will take months to unravel.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,709,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible