Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) by…

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 2003)

by Stephen King (Author)

10,895145385 (4.08)2 / 122
Member:jonnie_z
Title:The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3)
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Viking Adult (2003), 448 pages

The Waste Lands by Stephen King (1991)

English (139)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (145)
The story was good but did drag on a bit. I hope the next book picks it up more. I found the bumbler amusing, and the evil train and city interesting. ( )
  jill1121 | Jun 1, 2019 |
I guess the Gunslinger series is one of the few series that gets better as it progresses. I really did not much care for the first one, the second got more involved, weirder, more developed but this one is even better.

There are two kinds of books that I enjoy: the ones that make you think and the ones with unbounded involved imaginary worlds that take you outside of everyday reality. This one falls in the second category. The intersection between the high- tech apocalyptic world, neo-medieval wild west heritage of the main hero, Roland, is so unique that it deserves it's own category in the fantasy genre.

Personally, I am not a big fan of Steven King, but after this book I understand why many people are. ( )
  Firewild | Jan 3, 2019 |
I have never had such a hard time finishing a book, let alone a series. Especially a Stephen King book. But I will finish the series. Onto Book 4. (sigh) ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
4.5 – This one was a bit slow, I thought, but it stil pushd the story on briliantly. I loved the play between worlds, and man was Charlie the Choo-Choo creepy. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Next up in the BOTM reading is The Wastelands. This continues the story after Roland pulls Eddie and Susannah through the doors. But now Roland is going mad because he save Jake. I love that King didn't ignore the paradox Jake's death created. That paradox is a main part of the story line not just for Roland, but for Jake too. The drawing of the actual third is Jake, not jack…maybe that is why the names were so close.

My Favorite character of the whole series is Oy. I couldn't wait for him to show up. He is just so adorable and smart and funny, the most lovable character of the whole series in my mind. I guess it helps that I am such a dog lover, but Billy Bumblers are better than dogs and I really want one.
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dameron, NedIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

And the dry stone no sound of water. Only

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow in the morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-- T.S. Eliot

"The Waste Land"
If there pushed any ragged thistle-stalk

Above its mates, the head was chopped; the bents

Were jealous else. What made those holes and rents

In the dock's hearth swarth leaves, bruised as to balk

All hop of greenness? 'tis a brute must walk

Pashing their life out, with a brute's intents.

-- Robert Browning

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
"What river is it?" enquired Millicent idly.

"It's only a stream. Well, perhaps a little more than that. It's called the Waste."

"Is it really?"

"Yes," said Winifred, "it is."

-- Robert Aickman

"Hand in Glove"
This third volume of the tale is gratefully dedicated to my son, OWEN PHILIP KING:

Khef, ka, and ka-tet.
It was her third time with live ammunition. . .and her first time on the draw from the holster Roland had rigged for her.
The house was alive. He knew this, could feel its awareness reaching out from the boards and the slumping roof, could feel it pouring in rivers from the black sockets of its windows. The idea of approaching that terrible place filled him with dismay; the idea of actually going inside filled him with inarticulate horror.

Choo Choo Engine, stood
before Roland the Brave
asking mean riddles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210867, Mass Market Paperback)

Roland, The Last Gunslinger, moves ever closer to The Dark Tower of his dreams-and nightmares-as he crosses a desert of damnation in a macabre world that is a twisted image of our own...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:38 -0400)

Roland, the Last Gunslinger, and his companions--Eddie Dean and Susannah--cross the desert of damnation, drawing ever closer to the Dark Tower, a legion of fiendish foes, and revelations that could alter the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible