The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) by…

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

8,335None370 (4.09)2 / 71
Member:delta351
Title:The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Edition: Revised, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages

The Waste Lands by Stephen King (1991)

adventure (29) audio (21) audiobook (25) dark fantasy (27) dark tower (484) ebook (37) epic (45) epic fantasy (20) fantasy (887) fiction (704) gunslinger (52) horror (505) King (63) novel (66) own (52) paperback (37) post-apocalyptic (43) quest (28) read (138) Roland (24) science fiction (127) series (138) sf (19) sff (24) Stephen King (168) suspense (22) thriller (29) to-read (55) unread (48) western (123)

English (82)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (88)
The relationships between the ka-tet are hamfisted and juvenile. Character development is very dull.

The action is good. Too bad it takes almost 200 pages to get to it. ( )
  Algybama | Apr 1, 2014 |
Although not as good as the previous book, "The Waste Lands" is still an amazingly imaginative tale that carries us closer to The Dark Tower. We're reacquainted with old friends, meet new characters, and learn more about how all worlds are connected to the Tower.

My biggest disappointment with the trade paper version is that many of the illustrations precede the story. This was not the case in the previous two books. ( )
  Jarratt | Mar 18, 2014 |
The low score of this book is so because at almost no point did the twists hold me in thrall. But points were given for the various ways violence is indicated in the book. There is relatively slight, but real suffering. There's also the promise of violence that's over the top. That quality is also King's undoing. Here, barks are not followed by bites. I also don't understand the meaning of ka tet and what powers it so conveniently gives. I nevertheless feel that King has a weak hand and instead of bluffing (instead of creating suspense over Jake's passage into the waste lands) he downplays. I'm also critical of little niggling things, like the inexplicable shortage of paper in such an old civilization. The solitary feast that the heroes relish is inexplicably conjured. Finally I felt that the biggest draw in favor of this book is its simple language. The worst one is King's inability to make the impossible possible. On that note, let me end by saying that I await book four with doubt and anxiety. ( )
  Jiraiya | Feb 4, 2014 |
Wondrous. The reader is totally submerged in the four-way relationship established in the first two books. Personally, this is my favourite of the series so far. ( )
  Kate_Ward | Nov 12, 2013 |
Very good sequel in a good series. Looking forward to the next.
  adaynasmile | Oct 21, 2013 |
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

And the dry stone no sound of water. Only

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow in the morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-- T.S. Eliot

"The Waste Land"
If there pushed any ragged thistle-stalk

Above its mates, the head was chopped; the bents

Were jealous else. What made those holes and rents

In the dock's hearth swarth leaves, bruised as to balk

All hop of greenness? 'tis a brute must walk

Pashing their life out, with a brute's intents.

-- Robert Browning

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
"What river is it?" enquired Millicent idly.

"It's only a stream. Well, perhaps a little more than that. It's called the Waste."

"Is it really?"

"Yes," said Winifred, "it is."

-- Robert Aickman

"Hand in Glove"
This third volume of the tale is gratefully dedicated to my son, OWEN PHILIP KING:

Khef, ka, and ka-tet.
It was her third time with live ammunition. . .and her first time on the draw from the holster Roland had rigged for her.
The house was alive. He knew this, could feel its awareness reaching out from the boards and the slumping roof, could feel it pouring in rivers from the black sockets of its windows. The idea of approaching that terrible place filled him with dismay; the idea of actually going inside filled him with inarticulate horror.

Choo Choo Engine, stood
before Roland the Brave
asking mean riddles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210867, Mass Market Paperback)

Roland, The Last Gunslinger, moves ever closer to The Dark Tower of his dreams-and nightmares-as he crosses a desert of damnation in a macabre world that is a twisted image of our own...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:00 -0400)

The third book of King's macabre Dark Tower saga finds Roland, the Last Gunslinger, moving ever closer to the Dark Tower of his dreams--and nightmares--as he crosses a desert of damnation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible