The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) by…

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

8,50193362 (4.09)2 / 74
Member:delta351
Title:The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Edition: Revised, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages

The Waste Lands by Stephen King (1991)

English (86)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (92)
The story of the gunslingers continue, and another addition is added to their ka-tet. They are now on Blaine the train on their way to Toledo, can't wait to see what happens next! ( )
  csweder | Jul 30, 2014 |
Good start, slow middle, great ending ( well not the end, end - I would have been pissed if I had read this back in the day and part IV wasn't published yet! )! The ka tet is set - Roland plus 3 and Oy! Blaine is a pain, as is the Tick-Tock Man, and the Wizard seems formidable. But, they are still following the Beam, still headed toward the Dark Tower, so bring on the next book! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | May 29, 2014 |
fantastic ( )
  jsopcich | May 19, 2014 |
Next up in the BOTM reading is The Wastelands. This continues the story after Roland pulls Eddie and Susannah through the doors. But now Roland is going mad because he save Jake. I love that King didn't ignore the paradox Jake's death created. That paradox is a main part of the story line not just for Roland, but for Jake too. The drawing of the actual third is Jake, not jack…maybe that is why the names were so close.

My Favorite character of the whole series is Oy. I couldn't wait for him to show up. He is just so adorable and smart and funny, the most lovable character of the whole series in my mind. I guess it helps that I am such a dog lover, but Billy Bumblers are better than dogs and I really want one.
  Serinde24 | Apr 24, 2014 |
The relationships between the ka-tet are hamfisted and juvenile. Character development is very dull.

The action is good. Too bad it takes almost 200 pages to get to it. ( )
  Algybama | Apr 1, 2014 |
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

And the dry stone no sound of water. Only

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow in the morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-- T.S. Eliot

"The Waste Land"
If there pushed any ragged thistle-stalk

Above its mates, the head was chopped; the bents

Were jealous else. What made those holes and rents

In the dock's hearth swarth leaves, bruised as to balk

All hop of greenness? 'tis a brute must walk

Pashing their life out, with a brute's intents.

-- Robert Browning

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
"What river is it?" enquired Millicent idly.

"It's only a stream. Well, perhaps a little more than that. It's called the Waste."

"Is it really?"

"Yes," said Winifred, "it is."

-- Robert Aickman

"Hand in Glove"
This third volume of the tale is gratefully dedicated to my son, OWEN PHILIP KING:

Khef, ka, and ka-tet.
It was her third time with live ammunition. . .and her first time on the draw from the holster Roland had rigged for her.
The house was alive. He knew this, could feel its awareness reaching out from the boards and the slumping roof, could feel it pouring in rivers from the black sockets of its windows. The idea of approaching that terrible place filled him with dismay; the idea of actually going inside filled him with inarticulate horror.

Choo Choo Engine, stood
before Roland the Brave
asking mean riddles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210867, Mass Market Paperback)

Roland, The Last Gunslinger, moves ever closer to The Dark Tower of his dreams-and nightmares-as he crosses a desert of damnation in a macabre world that is a twisted image of our own...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:00 -0400)

The third book of King's macabre Dark Tower saga finds Roland, the Last Gunslinger, moving ever closer to the Dark Tower of his dreams--and nightmares--as he crosses a desert of damnation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible