The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) by…

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 2003)

by Stephen King

9,814128294 (4.08)2 / 97
Member:delta351
Title:The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (2003), Edition: Revised, Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages

The Waste Lands by Stephen King (1991)

English (122)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (128)
This amazing 3rd chapter of the Dark Tower series takes us through many great twists and turns on the path to the tower. We follow along with Roland of Gilead and his ka-tet as they rejoin another member of their band and gain a new member as well...and this time they must ride a living train, that is also going crazy. ( )
  Emery_Demers | May 17, 2017 |
I'll be honest, I'm not tearing through this series the way I thought I would be. However, The Wastelands is, regardless, a great installment in The Dark Tower series. The setting is a bit creepier than the earlier installments and slowly we begin to learn more about the universe we are immersed in.

I would certainly recommend this book, but ONLY if you have read the earlier books in the series. I would have a rough time jumping in without some serious context! ( )
  SnowcatCradle | Sep 24, 2016 |
This third book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series continues to entertain. Of course, it is fantasy and horror, and doesn't scare me as some of King's more realistic horrors can, but it keeps me engaged. And this is after I really didn't love that first book but was encouraged to read the second anyway.

There were animals that weren't animals in this story, and I felt sorry for them, no matter who they were trying to kill.

Instead of just the gunslinger, there is now a cast of characters that I care about. For engaging entertainment and flights of fancy, this book fits the bill well.

I listened to an unabridged audio version of this book, borrowed from my local library. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Sep 19, 2016 |
The Dark Tower volume 3. ( )
  jrthebutler | Aug 31, 2016 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dameron, NedIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,

And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,

And the dry stone no sound of water. Only

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow in the morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-- T.S. Eliot

"The Waste Land"
If there pushed any ragged thistle-stalk

Above its mates, the head was chopped; the bents

Were jealous else. What made those holes and rents

In the dock's hearth swarth leaves, bruised as to balk

All hop of greenness? 'tis a brute must walk

Pashing their life out, with a brute's intents.

-- Robert Browning

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
"What river is it?" enquired Millicent idly.

"It's only a stream. Well, perhaps a little more than that. It's called the Waste."

"Is it really?"

"Yes," said Winifred, "it is."

-- Robert Aickman

"Hand in Glove"
This third volume of the tale is gratefully dedicated to my son, OWEN PHILIP KING:

Khef, ka, and ka-tet.
It was her third time with live ammunition. . .and her first time on the draw from the holster Roland had rigged for her.
The house was alive. He knew this, could feel its awareness reaching out from the boards and the slumping roof, could feel it pouring in rivers from the black sockets of its windows. The idea of approaching that terrible place filled him with dismay; the idea of actually going inside filled him with inarticulate horror.

Choo Choo Engine, stood
before Roland the Brave
asking mean riddles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210867, Mass Market Paperback)

Roland, The Last Gunslinger, moves ever closer to The Dark Tower of his dreams-and nightmares-as he crosses a desert of damnation in a macabre world that is a twisted image of our own...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:38 -0400)

The third book of King's macabre Dark Tower saga finds Roland, the Last Gunslinger, moving ever closer to the Dark Tower of his dreams--and nightmares--as he crosses a desert of damnation.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,406,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible