The Black Arrow (Illustrated Classic):…

The Black Arrow (Illustrated Classic): Illustrated by N. C. Wyeth (original 1888; edition 2019)

by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author), N. C. Wyeth (Illustrator)

A young Englishman, seeking to avenge the death of his father, becomes involved in the band of the Black Arrow and the events of the War of the Roses.
Member:benfulton
Title:The Black Arrow (Illustrated Classic): Illustrated by N. C. Wyeth
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)
Other authors:N. C. Wyeth (Illustrator)
Info:SeaWolf Press (2019), 252 pages
Tags:boy's adventure

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson (1888)

Men of Iron by Howard Pyle (stevemaynard)
    stevemaynard: Here the common theme of revenge and honor are on full display. Adventures in the Middle Ages through the lens of the Victorian era. Great reads for young people.
    The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle (stevemaynard)
    stevemaynard: Many common themes of honor and manhood in both books. Both are great adventures filled with challenges and dangers.

English (30)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
Loved this book when I read in high school, disappointed when I realized it was a Dramation and not the actual book.
  Gmomaj | Oct 22, 2019 |
I'm pretty sure my dad read this book to me while I was lying on what seemed like my death bed, during the summer before my freshman year in college. I had a serious case of mono and was flat on my back for about 6 weeks. Whatever, I have a vague recollection of having been read the book, so I wanted to give it another go.

I rather liked the book. It was entertaining and appeared to have some interesting bits of 15th-century British history intertwined. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
Never finished.
Thought I would enjoy this book as much as Treasure Island, but the language became tedious, and frankly the 2 characters the book was following just didn't grab me at all.
Sorry for the poor review. but perhaps I will attempt this book sometime again in the future. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Stevenson’s tale of the Wars of the Roses follows the adventures of Dick Shelton, a young man whose guardian may know more than he’s letting on about the death of Dick’s father. The guardian is also a man of shifting loyalties, which is a dangerous thing to do during this period of English history. Dick seeks the truth about his father’s death and encounters a fellowship of outlaws who are bent on exposing that truth.

This was OK. There are so many instances of the word “ye” that I was convinced it was some sort of mistake, as though everyone had suddenly been transplanted to Scotland. I did like that there were women who disguised themselves as men and did what they could within the restrictions of the period, and I did end up finishing the story. However, it moved more slowly than I would have expected, and the colour plates in my particular edition were strange and didn’t add much of value to the story.

I wouldn’t actively recommend this but would certainly rate it higher than any historical fiction by G.A. Henty (who popped into my head as someone who writes similar historical fiction adventures); Stevenson’s dialogue at least has the virtue of sounding like natural speech. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Jan 13, 2018 |
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson   2.5 of 5 Stars   Synopsis   We follow the adventures of Dick/Richard Shelton during the War of the Roses, the war between the Houses of York and Lancaster in Merry Old England.     My Thoughts I first saw this children's classic on some list of "Classics to read". My only real connection to Stevenson is Treasure Island, but even that is more of the movies. I mean, who can forget Muppet Treasure Island? I still love that movie. And Treasure Planet was a good Disney movie too.   Sadly, this mess of a book does not do much for Stevenson's reputation with me. Shelton is a stupid young man who does one dumb thing after another and yet everything works out in the end.   You want to know how stupid he is? After being alone with someone all night, he still thinks they are a young boy. Instead of the girl he ends up marrying. He meets "her" as her for all of 5 minutes and suddenly she's the love of his life and sets him off on several escapades to rescue her, most of which end in disaster for those around Dick.   He is a typical upperclass dickhead. People die for him, around him and because of him, and it means nothing to him.   Part of all this is that this is really a children's book. So everything is simplified. But it is simplified to the point of destroying the potential of this story.   I plan on reading Treasure Island next year and I hope it fares better than this!       crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Pettersson, Sven-IngmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lawrence BeallIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waterhouse, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N. C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a certain afternoon, in the late spring time, the bell upon the Tunstall Moat House was heard singing at an unaccustomed hour.
This is the main work for The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

In fifteenth-century England, when his father's murderer is revealed to be his guardian, seventeen-year-old Richard Shelton joins the fellowship of the Black Arrow in avenging the death, rescuing the woman he loves, and participating in the struggle between the Yorks and Lancasters in the War of the Roses.

An exciting portrait of England during the War of the Roses, The Black Arrow is a breathless adventure of battle, intrigue, deception, kidnapping, spies, rogues, heroes, and villains.

Wyeth edition available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100038, 1400109140

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,772,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible