The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson

Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:Classic, Fiction

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author) (1888)

Men of Iron by Howard Pyle (stevemaynard)
    stevemaynard: Here the common theme of revenge and honor are on full display. Adventures in the Middle Ages through the lens of the Victorian era. Great reads for young people.
    The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle (stevemaynard)
    stevemaynard: Many common themes of honor and manhood in both books. Both are great adventures filled with challenges and dangers.

English (21)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
Like most people I was introduced to RLS through Treasure Island. But since those early days of pirate adventures I seem to have overlooked his other works. Thinking it was about time I read another of his novels I came across The Black Arrow in a local bookshop and thought I would give it a try.

The story itself is pretty sturdy, we follow the adventures of Richard Shelton as he seeks to find the true story of his father's death. Set during the war of the Roses, England is in turmoil with people changing allegiance to which ever rose is winning, subterfuge and battles are at every turn, throw in a bit of young, forbidden love and you have the ingredients of a 'boys own' adventure.

The main problem for me was that the story just seemed to drag, and coupled with characters speaking an archaic 'middle English' language it made for quite a painful read. It hasn't put me off reading more RLS but it has certainly lowered my expectations. ( )
  Bridgey | Oct 16, 2014 |
This is very much the paradigm of many 1950's costume movies. It is competently paced and their are the usual roles. It suffers from the grip it had on following historical novelists, I think. It's still a solid entertainment. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 29, 2013 |
Adventure and romance during the War of the Roses! This is the tale of a young man, Richard Shelton, who, while helping a boy escape captivity, discovers his guardian Sir Daniel had murdered his father in order to seize his property. He then finds out the boy is actually a girl! Sir Daniel wants to sell her marriage but Dick is determined to marry her himself... Add to that battles between Lancasterians and Yorkists ending with Dick being knighted by none other than Richard, Duke of Gloucester.

One minor annoyance is that Stevenson wrote the dialogue in language appropriate to 1460; some word usage is strange to the modern reader {For example, using "an" to mean "if" and "gossip" to mean "friend"}. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
I read this to tie up a loose end after starting it as a child and never finishing. Although I'm glad that I've now done so it was a bit of a struggle -- much more so than Treasure Island, which at least has the merit of being iconic and a necessary part of the canon. By contrast The Black Arrow turned out to be excessively episodic, melodramatic (although not without some character complexities) and obfuscated throughout with Stephenson's idea of medieval modes of speech. At times I felt like I'd stumbled into a low-grade HBO mega-series in which the plot churns feverishly in order to keep the series going for 26 episodes. ( )
  cogarch | Mar 30, 2013 |
Siendo Stevenson mi escritor favorito, es imposible que me decepcione la lectura de uno de sus libros. Una novela histórica, que se enmarca en la Edad Media, EXCELENTE. ( )
  CheapRegrets | Mar 22, 2013 |

Pettersson, Sven-IngmarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Lawrence BeallIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waterhouse, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N. C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a certain afternoon, in the late spring time, the bell upon the Tunstall Moat House was heard singing at an unaccustomed hour.
This is the main work for The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

In fifteenth-century England, when his father's murderer is revealed to be his guardian, seventeen-year-old Richard Shelton joins the fellowship of the Black Arrow in avenging the death, rescuing the woman he loves, and participating in the struggle between the Yorks and Lancasters in the War of the Roses.

An exciting portrait of England during the War of the Roses, The Black Arrow is a breathless adventure of battle, intrigue, deception, kidnapping, spies, rogues, heroes, and villains.

For nearly a century, Scribner has exemplified the very best in publishing by pairing classic texts with the illustrative giants of the time, such as N. C. Wyeth and Maxfield Parrish. With the same commitment to the high standards established by the series' founders, Atheneum Books for Young Readers is expanding the Scribner Illustrated Classics line over the next several years to include such modern-day classics as Jack London's The Call of the Wild and White Fang, J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, and The Stories of O. Henry, to be illustrated by some of the finest artists of our generation, including Wendell Minor, Ed Young, and Trina Schart Hyman.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:13 -0400)

A young Englishman, seeking to avenge the death of his father, becomes involved in the band of the Black Arrow and the events of the War of the Roses.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,359,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible