Don Quixote of La Mancha by Miguel de…

Don Quixote of La Mancha (edition 1964)

by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

An eccentric Spanish country gentleman and his companion set out as a knight and squire of old to right wrongs and punish evil.
Member:grunin
Title:Don Quixote of La Mancha
Authors:Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Info:New York, New American Library [1964] xiii, 1052 p. 18 cm.
Tags:Fiction, read

Don Quixote [Abridged] by Miguel de Cervantes

English (8)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
I read this in college many years ago. ( )
  Hank_Kirton | Apr 25, 2019 |
Although it is a bit repetitive in places, I was surprised by how easy to read this was in general. I liked Starkie's translation & he provided plenty of footnotes to explain various aspects of the text. ( )
  leslie.98 | May 16, 2016 |
have yet to read this one but a friend has urged me to do so. so, i will.
  bjeans | Apr 3, 2013 |
Undoubtedly one of the most fascinating books I have read, and I lean toward classics. The first thing I do when I am about to read a book that was originally written in a language I cannot read, is search various sites to discover which version is known as the best translation -- this particular item (translated by Lathrop) is known as one of the best.

Next is enjoying the text. While there are many incidents in this story that will evoke sadness, it drips with so much irony, humor, and wit that the melancholy is soon forgotten. If you have taken on faith what we have heard about Don Quixote and Sancho, that is, what passes as common knowledge about them, you will be surprised -- especially by Sancho. We are told that Don Quixote is a classic, and when we finally read it, we may wonder how it achieved that status, because surely most contemporary readers will have little patience for a work this lengthy that takes so many detours.

The tags "loyalty," "truth," "deception," and "values" are most appropriate. ( )
  bluehat1955 | Feb 5, 2009 |
Great classic book. SLows down in the middle. Very funny though. ( )
  bluenichols | May 13, 2007 |

Miguel de Cervantesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Haamstede, N. vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hahn, Albert, Jr.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schüller tot Peursum, C.U.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Starkie, WalterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my children Landi and Alma
In memory of our readings of Don Quixote
At a village of La Mancha, whose name I do not wish to remember, there lived a little while ago one of those gentlemen who are wont to keep a lance in the rack, an old buckler, a lean horse and a swift greyhound.
Don Quixote was originally published in two parts. This work is the complete (containing parts 1 & 2) but ABRIDGED version of Don Quixote.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,256,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible