The Book of Guys: Stories by Garrison…

The Book of Guys: Stories (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Garrison Keillor

Member:weber93
Title:The Book of Guys: Stories
Authors:Garrison Keillor (Author)
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1994), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:American authors, Garrison Keillor, humor, memoir, short stories, Episcopalian authors, University of Minnesota alumni, 20th Century, male authors, literature, Protestant authors, fiction

The Book of Guys by Garrison Keillor (1994)

This book is a great example of why I have a non-sexual crush on Garrison Keillor. He's a wonderful writer! ( )
  ratastrophe | Aug 21, 2014 |
I did not enjoy this. You know the scene in Roxane with Steve Martin, where he comes up with twenty jokes about big noses? That is what this feels like, without the laughs. Someone came up to Garrison Keillor with a list of off the wall categories and said "Write a story about guys, one for each topic." Some of the stories are clever, but mostly, it just portrays guys as oafs. As an oaf of a guy, I can appreciate the humor in that, but it got old fast. I enjoy many of Garrison Keillor's works, and think that he is a great storyteller, but I did not really enjoy this. ( )
1 vote ASBiskey | Feb 22, 2011 |
Not a bad light read but somehow these stories are neither silly enough nor serious enough to get more than an occasional smile and three stars out of me. ( )
  awssu | Jan 4, 2011 |
If you’ve read and listened to Garrison Keillor as long as I have, you know that he does a lot of recycling. Some days you’ll tune into Prairie Home Companion and hear him with a story or skit that seems a bit familiar – the situations are the same, if not the exact words. The Book of Guys gave me the same feeling – “wait, I remember this one…” In the 20-plus stories here, you won’t get any Lake Wobegon but you’ll get plenty of Minnesota Lutherans, Greek gods, unrequited love and preposterous situations. Like any collection of short stories, some work and some don’t. And with Keillor, either you get his humor and forgive his frequent tastelessness or you don’t. For Keillor lovers, this gets a middling thumbs up. Keillor haters – well, you wouldn’t read this no matter what I say, would you? ( )
  wdwilson3 | Nov 3, 2010 |
Like other reviewers have said, this does tail off some after the first few stories, but I read it in a day, and enjoyed it. ( )
  5hrdrive | Mar 10, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084943X, Hardcover)

A loosely affiliated collection of pieces culled from Harper's and the New Yorker, The Book of Guys supplies Garrison Keillor's brand of pathos-inspired belly laughs in great measure. Since Keillor is not only, by all appearances, a mensch but also the possessor of an extremely amiable voice in his writing (and who can say, with him, where his prose voice ends and the aural one begins?), you tend to forget the darker elements of his work. In fact, those are the things that make his writing so amusing.

The Book of Guys parades a collection of Joe Nobodies, average guys like Garry Keillor, "sixteen, six foot two, with the metabolism of a wolverine." But these are guys with a darker side: longings, misgivings, psychoses. There's Lonesome Shorty, the cowboy who lusts for town life, but as soon as he settles down, the trail calls him again. Or the mayor of Zenith, who has everything a man could want, his life darkened solely by a senseless vendetta carried out by the editor of the local newspaper. "I have spent thirty minutes [writing this letter to the Editor] and my wife, her black hair tumbling over her bare shoulders touched with freckles under the pale-blue gossamer negligee hanging light as a leaf on her pale breasts and bold etcetera..." But Keillor's guys are too preoccupied with everyday angst to take hold of their good fortune. "In a minute, dear," says the mayor, continuing his screed.

The Book of Guys doesn't give one much faith in the future of male-dom, but it is funny. And don't let the paucity of competition fool you; Keillor's a humorist par excellence, a fine, thoughtful, and witty writer. --Michael Gerber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:42 -0400)

In this collection of stories you'll meet a bunch of memorable guys including Lonesome Shorty, a cowpoke torn between the proud life in the saddle and the comforts of warm apartments and women; Buddy the teen-age leper in Sioux Falls; Earl Grey the great tea inventor and former Republican child; Casey at the bat in Mudville again; Dionysus the god of wine; and Roy Bradley, boy broadcaster. Brilliantly funny, touching, and acute, The book of guys reveals the perilous situation of guys today.… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,485,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible