The Borrowers by Mary Norton

The Borrowers (1952)

by Mary Norton

Series: The Borrowers (1)

I liked this book because it gave you clues of what would happen at the end. The action built until the end where it all sums up in a tidy little story. Arriety, the main character, wants to go out and borrow like Pod, her father. When she finally gets to go out she tells the boy where the borrowers live which has never happened before. The borrowers are tiny people who live under the floor boards. This book is good if you would like to read a story that is neat and tidy. My favorite character is Arriety because she is always wanting more action. ( )
  craig22 | May 17, 2015 |
The Clock family lives under the kitchen floor of an old English house. They've made their home out of borrowing items from the manor. As Arrietty is getting older, she is longing for a companion and on one of her borrowing adventures she meets a boy. While this disturbs her parents' comfortable life, Arrietty is anxious for things to get more exciting! ( )
  bspelman | Feb 22, 2015 |
A visit to a childhood classic. Sometimes you just need a book like this. :) ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
I read this as a test to see if it would be a good book to read aloud to my five-year-old. I remember adoring it as a kid, but hadn't read it since about age 8 or 9. It's still a little too advanced for my daughter (I don't feel like stopping every five words to explain what a night-nursery is, or a hairpin, or a mantle, or a...you get the idea), but this is still a winner. It's really a lovely little story with enough world-building details to enchant a certain kind of kid, one with a bent to the old-fashioned. I clearly was, and still am, that kind of kid. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I liked this more than I remembered. I didn't remember this ending. Made me want to get the next in the series. I'm glad the Vintage Book Circle chose it. I look forward to our discussion. ( )
  njcur | Dec 26, 2014 |

Mary Nortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hague, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, BethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sharon Rhodes
It was Mrs. May who first told me about them.

AR 5.3, 5 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152047379, Paperback)

Anyone who has ever entertained the notion of "little people" living furtively among us will adore this artfully spun classic. The Borrowers--a Carnegie Medal winner, a Lewis Carroll Shelf Award book, and an ALA Distinguished Book--has stolen the hearts of thousands of readers since its 1953 publication. Mary Norton (1903-1993) creates a make-believe world in which tiny people live hidden from humankind beneath the floorboards of a quiet country house in England.

Pod, Homily, and daughter Arrietty of the diminutive Clock family outfit their subterranean quarters with the tidbits and trinkets they've "borrowed" from "human beans," employing matchboxes for storage and postage stamps for paintings. Readers will delight in the resourceful way the Borrowers recycle household objects. For example, "Homily had made her a small pair of Turkish bloomers from two glove fingers for 'knocking about in the mornings.'"

The persistent pilfering goes undetected until a boy (with a ferret!) comes to live in the country house. Curiosity drives Arrietty to commit the worst mistake a Borrower can make: she allows herself to be seen. This engaging, sometimes hair-raisingly suspenseful adventure is recounted in the kind, eloquent voice of narrator Mrs. May, whose brother might--just might--have seen an actual Borrower in the country house many years ago. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:33 -0400)

Miniature people who live in an old country house by borrowing things from the humans are forced to emigrate from their home under the clock.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,212,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible