The Borrowers by Mary Norton

The Borrowers (1952)

by Mary Norton

Series: The Borrowers (1)

3,473None1,529 (3.85)106

This classic book invites you into the world of the tiny people called borrowers. It follows their family's adventures and relationships, bringing readers into this miniature world. Readers will be sucked in waiting to find out what happens, a very enjoyable read. ( )
  bouchk | Mar 17, 2014 |
Classic children's story about the little people who live in human houses and "borrow" what they need to live. The details of their lives are ery well imagined, but somehow these stories have a dark undertone that disturbed me as a child, as when the Borrower girl Arriety's friendship with a human boy has disastrous results.
Illustrations are very nice clean line drawings. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 14, 2013 |
This is one of my all-time favorite fantasies. I love the idea of this story because we all wonder where our things go when we misplace them. The first time I read this story when I was younger, I believed that there really were borrowers. There's nothing I don't like about this book! I love the characters and the family dynamic. I also love the message of imagination this sends to readers. Older readers realize that borrowers are not real but they can appreciate the thought behind it. And younger readers can use their imagination to imagine a world with such creatures. ( )
  akitso1 | Nov 20, 2013 |
The Borrowers are tiny people that live in a plethora of places: houses, safe havens, fields, and amongst a variety of creatures. They enjoy lives of "borrowing" from human "beans", hoping to never be seen. Arriety, unlike her parents, Pod and Homily, feels lonely and wants to broaden her horizons. After discussions with her parents, her mother allows Arriety to go borrowing with her father. She meets the boy, and develops a rapport with him. She sends notes to her uncle she believes to be living in a nearby field. The Boy also aides with borrowing in exchange for reading time with Arriety. The housekeeper, eventually discovers the Borrower's family and calls upon the rat-catcher. This book is a modern fantasy story. The main themes and point of the book is to discuss borrowing vs. stealing and levels of freedom.

This had been a book my mother had initially read aloud to me when I was younger. It was one she had been fascinated with, so I thought I would re-visit the book. I think I enjoyed it more as a younger reader. However, I do not want to brush it off completely as a bad book. I can see how this book caters to the young and creative mindset. As an older reader, I find I am undecided in how to like the book. I am not to keen on how the plot is divided up. The book begins and ends with a nanny explaining her brother's sightings. I am never too keen on this type of narration and felt the story would have been better with a different approach.

The concept of the Borrowers and the Clock family is creative in itself. I like the idea of little people "borrowing" items we often misplace. Humans (me especially) frequently misplace things, and there is something charming about little people borrowing these items for their daily lives. This gives creative thinking for our daily uses of things and a different perspective.

For me, I enjoyed having illustrations included throughout the story. While they are merely drawings, having an illustration in each chapter added more flare to the story. The illustrations helped stir my imagination and direct it a little better as I read the book. I am curious enough to re-visit some of the other books in the series. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Oct 7, 2013 |
The Borrowers are a family that lives under the floor boards of a family home and borrows things from the family so that they can survive. The older lady named Mrs. May, tells Kate about the Borrowers. There are many obstacles that the Borrowers go through, throughout the story.
  kristynzonsius | Sep 16, 2013 |

Mary Nortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hague, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, BethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sharon Rhodes
It was Mrs. May who first told me about them.

AR 5.3, 5 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152047379, Paperback)

Anyone who has ever entertained the notion of "little people" living furtively among us will adore this artfully spun classic. The Borrowers--a Carnegie Medal winner, a Lewis Carroll Shelf Award book, and an ALA Distinguished Book--has stolen the hearts of thousands of readers since its 1953 publication. Mary Norton (1903-1993) creates a make-believe world in which tiny people live hidden from humankind beneath the floorboards of a quiet country house in England.

Pod, Homily, and daughter Arrietty of the diminutive Clock family outfit their subterranean quarters with the tidbits and trinkets they've "borrowed" from "human beans," employing matchboxes for storage and postage stamps for paintings. Readers will delight in the resourceful way the Borrowers recycle household objects. For example, "Homily had made her a small pair of Turkish bloomers from two glove fingers for 'knocking about in the mornings.'"

The persistent pilfering goes undetected until a boy (with a ferret!) comes to live in the country house. Curiosity drives Arrietty to commit the worst mistake a Borrower can make: she allows herself to be seen. This engaging, sometimes hair-raisingly suspenseful adventure is recounted in the kind, eloquent voice of narrator Mrs. May, whose brother might--just might--have seen an actual Borrower in the country house many years ago. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:33 -0400)

Miniature people who live in an old country house by borrowing things from the humans are forced to emigrate from their home under the clock.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible