The Borrowers by Mary Norton

The Borrowers (1952)

by Mary Norton

Series: The Borrowers (1)

English (84)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (87)
The original. Wonderful and so full of detail. You could really picture their little world under the kitchen floor. I grew up with The Littles, and my boys love Arrietty. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
I loved to read The Borrowers, their tiny house that consisted of borrowed furniture from doll houses, cork chairs, safety pins to hang their clothes. It was very creative and fun to look at and read. The ending of this book is open ended, I would use this in a class and have each student create their own story ending.
  EstefaniaL | Jun 9, 2017 |
A small world is perfectly created in this fantasy about the miniature people who live beneath the floors of quiet old houses. ( )
  SaraLancon | Apr 17, 2017 |
Summary
The Borrowers is about a tiny family that lives underneath the floor of an old English home. They borrow everything they need for their home from the human beings that live above them. They are supposed to stay hidden from the humans but Arrietty the daughter is always getting into trouble so she is spotted by the human boy. He becomes friends with the family and helps them.

Personal Reaction
I had my daughter read this story and now when our icemaker makes sounds I tell her that the borrowers need ice for their refrigerator. This book gets children’s imagination going. This can also help when they are scared of noises the house makes; we can blame it on the borrowers.

Extension Ideas
1. I think it would be fun to have children come with ideas of small items the borrowers could use for household items.
2. Have the children draw a picture of what they think a borrower would look like compared to an average size human. ( )
  April03 | Mar 26, 2017 |
Summary:
In this book, there is a family by the name Clock’s that live underneath the house of the “human beans”. The Clock’s home is filled with things that they have borrowed from the family that live above them. The borrowing that happens at one point gets uncontrollable. The borrowers are not allowed to be seen by humans because it is a very dangerous thing, however when one of the children gets out and is seen by a human a strangely friendship occurs.
Personal Reaction:
During the fifth grade, I read this book for a book review and while then I wasn’t sure how I felt about it now I have realized I didn’t like it as much. I feel like it’s a story that could have been told better and the friendship reminds me a lot of Thumbelina and the relationship she made when she wasn’t supposed to.
Extensions:
1. Do a vocabulary pre-reading in order for the students to get a better understanding when they read
2. Set up math problems in which students have to borrow from the other numbers.
  caitlynf | Mar 26, 2017 |

Norton, Maryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hague, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, BethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sharon Rhodes
For Orlena [1st U.S. Edition, Harcourt 1953]
It was Mrs. May who first told me about them.
Mrs. May lived in two rooms in Kate's parents' house in London; she was, I think, some kind of relation. [First U.S. Edition (Harcourt 1953)]
There are several film adaptations of The Borrowers, various book adaptations, and the original book itself by Mary Norton. This work consists of copies with the title The Borrowers but for which the medium (e.g. book or movie) isn't specified, and for which the author or director isn't specified. It should not be combined with the original work or with any specific adaptation.

If you have a copy of this work, please consider specifying the medium (e.g. video recording or book), and if it is a book, please consider specifying the author (or if it is a film, the director).

AR 5.3, 5 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152047379, Paperback)

Anyone who has ever entertained the notion of "little people" living furtively among us will adore this artfully spun classic. The Borrowers--a Carnegie Medal winner, a Lewis Carroll Shelf Award book, and an ALA Distinguished Book--has stolen the hearts of thousands of readers since its 1953 publication. Mary Norton (1903-1993) creates a make-believe world in which tiny people live hidden from humankind beneath the floorboards of a quiet country house in England.

Pod, Homily, and daughter Arrietty of the diminutive Clock family outfit their subterranean quarters with the tidbits and trinkets they've "borrowed" from "human beans," employing matchboxes for storage and postage stamps for paintings. Readers will delight in the resourceful way the Borrowers recycle household objects. For example, "Homily had made her a small pair of Turkish bloomers from two glove fingers for 'knocking about in the mornings.'"

The persistent pilfering goes undetected until a boy (with a ferret!) comes to live in the country house. Curiosity drives Arrietty to commit the worst mistake a Borrower can make: she allows herself to be seen. This engaging, sometimes hair-raisingly suspenseful adventure is recounted in the kind, eloquent voice of narrator Mrs. May, whose brother might--just might--have seen an actual Borrower in the country house many years ago. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:09 -0400)

Miniature people who live in an old country house by borrowing things from the humans are forced to emigrate from their home under the clock.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,528,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible