The Borrowers by Mary Norton

The Borrowers (1952)

by Mary Norton

Series: The Borrowers (1)

Mary Norton was a woman after my own heart - a woman whose own heart, head, and soul was filled with magic. What a genius she was, to have created the world of The Borrowers. I will, of course, be reading all the novels. The 1998 BBC film version of the stories is amazing as well. I am now on the lookout for materials that will help me re-create Arrietty's hot air balloon! ( )
  TRWhittier | Dec 2, 2014 |
I remember reading this fantasy novel as a child and quickly becoming engaged in the overall impact. It tells the story of several little girls who communicate with the human bears. They go on several adventures together but all seem to be very unrealistic especially when the girls have conversations with animals. Of course, this type of novel interests young readers but as a future teacher I think I would inform my students that fantasy books are not real and children should not engulf their entire life into them.
  Jclark5 | Nov 11, 2014 |
I watched the Ghibli movie a while back but this book is so tiny I thought I could read it anyway. I think I almost like the story within the story device better than the Borrowers themselves, well, almost :p Although a bit sexist at times, it is also surprisingly mature about some things. Arriett´s worldview is so very much her own than it is impossible to believe she was a fragment of the boy´s imagination. Furthermore, we see Kate herself being created as a character on the very first page (and we know the whole book to be a piece of fiction), so who is real anyway? Really cool worldbuilding, might even read more of the series.

'Oh," said the boy again. He seemed to find it a safe sound, as lawyers do. "Are there many people like you?"
"No," said Arrietty. "None. We're all different."
"I mean as small as you?"
Arrietty laughed. "Oh, don't be silly!" she said. "Surely you don't think there are many people in the world your size?"
"There are more my size than yours," he retorted.
  Evalangui | Aug 22, 2014 |
The imagination and creativity used in this story will never get old. Have always loved this story. ( )
  EmilySansovich | Apr 27, 2014 |
This classic book invites you into the world of the tiny people called borrowers. It follows their family's adventures and relationships, bringing readers into this miniature world. Readers will be sucked in waiting to find out what happens, a very enjoyable read. ( )
  bouchk | Mar 17, 2014 |

Mary Nortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hague, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, BethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sharon Rhodes
It was Mrs. May who first told me about them.

AR 5.3, 5 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152047379, Paperback)

Anyone who has ever entertained the notion of "little people" living furtively among us will adore this artfully spun classic. The Borrowers--a Carnegie Medal winner, a Lewis Carroll Shelf Award book, and an ALA Distinguished Book--has stolen the hearts of thousands of readers since its 1953 publication. Mary Norton (1903-1993) creates a make-believe world in which tiny people live hidden from humankind beneath the floorboards of a quiet country house in England.

Pod, Homily, and daughter Arrietty of the diminutive Clock family outfit their subterranean quarters with the tidbits and trinkets they've "borrowed" from "human beans," employing matchboxes for storage and postage stamps for paintings. Readers will delight in the resourceful way the Borrowers recycle household objects. For example, "Homily had made her a small pair of Turkish bloomers from two glove fingers for 'knocking about in the mornings.'"

The persistent pilfering goes undetected until a boy (with a ferret!) comes to live in the country house. Curiosity drives Arrietty to commit the worst mistake a Borrower can make: she allows herself to be seen. This engaging, sometimes hair-raisingly suspenseful adventure is recounted in the kind, eloquent voice of narrator Mrs. May, whose brother might--just might--have seen an actual Borrower in the country house many years ago. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:33 -0400)

Miniature people who live in an old country house by borrowing things from the humans are forced to emigrate from their home under the clock.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible