Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

Winesburg, Ohio (1919)

by Sherwood Anderson

Series: Winesburg, Ohio (1)

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (chrisharpe)
    My Ántonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (kxlly)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: The style of writing and realism in the portrayal of the characters is very similar.
    The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (kxlly)
    Fidelity: Five Stories by Wendell Berry (MissWoodhouse1816)
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (kxlly)
    Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro (Jozefus)
    Jozefus: Anderson en Munro zijn vaker met elkaar vergeleken. Beide boeken bestaan uit losse verhalen over een protagonist(e) die opgroeit in een fictief provinciestadje. En in beide gevallen vertoont dat stadje een opvallende gelijkenis met de plaats waar de auteur zelf is opgegroeid.… (more)
    A View of the Harbour by Elizabeth Taylor (AnnaKatharina)
    Marriages Are Made In India by Lakshmi Raj Sharma (Publerati)
    Publerati: Like Winesburg Ohio, this story collection hangs together in mood and theme in an appealing way.
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (gust)
    gust: Ook een verhalenbundel met terugkerende personages in de verschillende verhalen
    The Man Without a Face by Isabelle Holland (TheLittlePhrase)

English (83)  Catalan (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  All languages (94)
Winesburg, Ohio is a collection of short stories that functions, more or less, as a novel. For cohesiveness it's a lot closer to [b:The Country of Pointed Firs|1067941|The Country of the Pointed Firs|Sarah Orne Jewett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1272689299s/1067941.jpg|639305] than it is to [b:Slaves of New York|1495499|Slaves of New York|Tama Janowitz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1280963041s/1495499.jpg|1327151]; for content its the other way around. Anderson was a lot more of a, uh, euphemist, than Janowitz of course, but there's plenty of sordid, torrid, seamy, and other-word-most-often-found-on-the back-of-a-cheap-paperback going on in this quiet town. And I should add that Winesburg, Ohio blows both of those books out of the water for quality, craft and insight.

I remember reading "Sophistication" as a part of my ill-fated high school American Lit. course and not thinking too much about it, which not only illustrates how much I hated high school American Lit. courses, but also how much these stories depend upon one another to really get to you.

Hmm. I don't understand it, sometimes a book will inspire an endless stream of questions and commentary from me while others...won't. This has little to do with how much I loved or hated the book, or even if it was just 'OK;' sometimes I'll just finish a book and a reach for the next one. I enjoyed this book. A lot. James Joyce was a big deal influence writing at the same time, sure, but Anderson actually influenced those books that we actually read. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is like a collection of short stories woven together with some of the characters and the namesake small town. His point about sexual repression and suppression is very worthy. His ability to express emotion and feelings was moving. We do all need to recognize our sexuality and live more peacefully with it. He makes these points on the simple and complex levels, hands expressing love and support to full blown adult white hot passion. Sex as sin was as bad in the 1890's Midwest as it should be wherever you are now.
The amalgam he portrays with stunted judgment, neurosis, paranoia, and lack of cognitive function was overdone in my opinion. He seems to have tried to infuse misery to make his point and oversold it. He has a profound control of language and therefore imagery but the story is so full of despair, self defeatism and bleakness that it is an overdrawn read. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
DNF
I picked this up as a last minute substitution for the 'Ohio' slot on my cross-country reading challenge after my first choice fell through. I made it about 2 chapters and had to give it up.
  ParadisePorch | Sep 28, 2018 |
Excerpts from my Jan 2013 2nd-read review:
- With a little deeper perspective on American writers since my first reading, I appreciate Anderson's influence on those who followed him. These set pieces are quite progressive for the time - frank presentation of the desires, worries, conflicted emotions, of outwardly common townsfolk. I can easily imagine the young Hemingway or Faulkner...soaking up his style of interior examination. Note: these stories' interconnection is via the town of Winesburg and the oft-appearing news reporter George Willard. However, every story-vignette stands alone, so you could jump in anyplace. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Aug 14, 2018 |
I wish I could say I loved it, but was mostly bored with the stories. The book is well written, however. I can see Faulkner in the style of writing and can see Anderson was an influence in his writing style. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
Het boek kent enkele zich nogal herhalende thema’s en lijdt wat onder de afwezigheid van de psychologische inzichten die de er opvolgende decennia gemeengoed zouden worden. Toch heeft deze terechte heruitgave meer dan louter literair historische waarde. Het toont een Amerika op de historische grens van een agrarische naar een industriële samenleving, en het toont de onmacht, de hopeloos lijkende ontsnappingsstrategieën, de dieptrieste psychologische problematiek van het voetvolk dat nooit erkenning zou krijgen in het Amerikaanse succesverhaal. Sherwood Anderson zal dit nooit als oogmerk hebben gehad, omdat hij het lot van zijn personages als universeel zag en dat met veel mededogen noteerde.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Jan Donkers (pay site) (May 26, 2011)

Anderson, Sherwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cowley, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, IrvingIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koontz, DeanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trevisani, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother, Emma Smith Anderson, whose keen observations on the life about her first awoke in me the hunger to see beneath the surface of lives, this book is dedicated.
The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some difficulty in getting into bed. The windows of the house in which he lived were high and he wanted to look at the trees when he awoke in the morning. A carpenter came to fix the bed so that it would be on a level with the window.

Short stories with common setting and several common characters, and a rough chronological order. Life in small town Ohio in the late nineteenth century.

Includes: "Hands"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529952, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspired by Anderson's Midwestern boyhood and his adulthood in early 20th-century Chicago, this volume gave birth to the American story cycle, for which Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and later writers were forever indebted. Defying the prudish sensibilities of his time, Anderson embraced frankness and truth. Here we meet all those whose portraits brought the American short story into the modern age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

Profiles the people of a small Midwestern town in the early 1900s, revealing the consequences of human misunderstanding.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,649,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible