Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

Winesburg, Ohio (1919)

by Sherwood Anderson (Author)

Series: Winesburg, Ohio (1)

The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (chrisharpe)
    My Antonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (kxlly)
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (kxlly)
    Fidelity: Five Stories by Wendell Berry (MissWoodhouse1816)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: The style of writing and realism in the portrayal of the characters is very similar.
    Marriages Are Made In India by Lakshmi Raj Sharma (Publerati)
    Publerati: Like Winesburg Ohio, this story collection hangs together in mood and theme in an appealing way.
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (gust)
    gust: Ook een verhalenbundel met terugkerende personages in de verschillende verhalen
    The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (kxlly)

English (67)  Catalan (6)  Danish (2)  German (1)  All languages (76)
This book has much of Elyria, Ohio in it. At least that seems to be the case. I was raised in Elyria and Anderson writes of a typical turn-of-the-century (last century, that is) American Midwest city with its prejudices and glories. If one wishes to understand the evolution of the American being, read this book. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
WINESBURG, OHIO-by Sherwood Anderson 479 -12706019
I was skeptical of this book because I thought the title sounded dull and the generic title even more dull-dom. However, I decided to read it only because I am from a small town in Ohio. It turns out, I am happy I live in Ohio.

The stories are detailed with realistic, well-rounded characters. Typically I steer away from short stories as many times it seems the endings are simple cutoff. This author delivers. His stories, though short, are well formed and entertaining. I was taken back to a different time of life, perhaps better in some ways as I read through. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Jun 1, 2014 |
My mom passed this book on to me with the caveat that she hadn't enjoyed it. Seeing as our reading tastes only occasionally intersect, I wasn't too concerned (but certainly a bit intrigued!). The book is not a traditional novel; it's a story cycle with one regularly recurring character, and a few others that drift in and out. The action all occurs in a small town, and each chapter is essentially a bird's eye view of one resident of the town. In plain terms, I liked the book because it felt real. The afflictions that Winesburg's residents suffer from, be they physical, emotional, or psychological, are poignant in their reflection of our own troubles. Most people's lives get quite messy at times, and there are also more eccentrics among us than we know, as many people keep their eccentricities to themselves. Thoreau's assertion that "the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation" seems apropos when considering the residents of Winesburg, Ohio. And when you live in a small town, people are both purposefully and inadvertently drawn into each other's business. The results are frequently dramatic, occasionally tragic, and rarely dull to observe. Most small town residents make a pastime of this observation. With this book, Sherwood Anderson invites his readers to assume a vantage point that people typically only reach if they live in a town from birth to death. The view he offers us is dark, but it's too true to turn away from. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
I trudged through this. I'm sure it was quite realistic and risque in 1919, but the repeated hand imagery annoyed me, as did the whole premise of trying to describe the inner emotional lives of interconnected people in vignettes. Give me PLOT, please! And don't tell me it was a coming of age story, George was an idiot. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
A collection of interconnected short stories, set in the post-WWI years in a small town in Ohio. Some of the stories are a little bit dated, but still a good read--a slice of time and place. ( )
  tloeffler | Oct 19, 2013 |

Anderson, SherwoodAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cowley, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, IrvingIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koontz, DeanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother, Emma Smith Anderson, whose keen observations on the life about her first awoke in me the hunger to see beneath the surface of lives, this book is dedicated.
The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some difficulty in getting into bed. The windows of the house in which he lived were high and he wanted to look at the trees when he awoke in the morning. A carpenter came to fix the bed so that it would be on a level with the window.

Short stories with common setting and several common characters, and a rough chronological order. Life in small town Ohio in the late nineteenth century.

Includes: "Hands"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529952, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspired by Anderson's Midwestern boyhood and his adulthood in early 20th-century Chicago, this volume gave birth to the American story cycle, for which Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and later writers were forever indebted. Defying the prudish sensibilities of his time, Anderson embraced frankness and truth. Here we meet all those whose portraits brought the American short story into the modern age.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:17 -0400)

Profiles the people of a small Midwestern town in the early 1900s, revealing the consequences of human misunderstanding.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,727 books! | Top bar: Always visible