Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

Winesburg, Ohio (original 1919; edition 2012)

by Sherwood Anderson

Title:Winesburg, Ohio
Authors:Sherwood Anderson
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 210 pages

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (1919)

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (chrisharpe)
    My Ántonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (kxlly)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: The style of writing and realism in the portrayal of the characters is very similar.
    The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (kxlly)
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (kxlly)
    Fidelity: Five Stories by Wendell Berry (MissWoodhouse1816)
    Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro (Jozefus)
    Jozefus: Anderson en Munro zijn vaker met elkaar vergeleken. Beide boeken bestaan uit losse verhalen over een protagonist(e) die opgroeit in een fictief provinciestadje. En in beide gevallen vertoont dat stadje een opvallende gelijkenis met de plaats waar de auteur zelf is opgegroeid.… (more)
    A View of the Harbour by Elizabeth Taylor (AnnaKatharina)
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (gust)
    gust: Ook een verhalenbundel met terugkerende personages in de verschillende verhalen
    Marriages Are Made In India by Lakshmi Raj Sharma (Publerati)
    Publerati: Like Winesburg Ohio, this story collection hangs together in mood and theme in an appealing way.

English (73)  Catalan (6)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (84)
Anderson shows a deep understanding of people and what drives them. Each character is unique and filled out so completely that I feel as though I understand every one on a level much deeper than the length of their presence in the book would suggest. Their is also an attention to language in the prose that is lovely to read. It's not always poetic, but it is always beautiful, and it cuts through to the heart of whatever is being said in that moment.

My favorite quote from the books comes from the chapter titled "Death, concerning Doctor Reefy and Elizabeth Willard":
"Their bodies were different, as were also the color of their eyes, the length of their noses, and the circumstances of their existence, but something inside them meant the same thing, wanted the same release, would have left the same impression on the memory of an onlooker.

I would suggest this to anyone looking to feel less alone in the world, anyone who is confused and feels lost, or anyone who just needs something they can't explain. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Read excerpts for college - liked it enough to remember for three decades. Probably I should do so again, after all these years and books....

Ok, in my You'll Love This One" group we are having a classics 'TBR Toppler.' So I finally got around to this. And loved it.

But the first thing I need to say is that this Edition* is Horrible! Typos abound, includ'ing more than one life -> fife and lots and lots of in-tact line breaks in the mid-dle of the line that totally inter-rupt the flow of the read-ing.

I also read [b:Winesburg, Ohio,|80180|Winesburg, Ohio, Notes Including Life|Ann R. Morris|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170979484s/80180.jpg|77423] (study guide) side-by-side with the book. So, iow, I didn't just plain immerse myself in it. And yet, oh goodness, lovely. Absolutely wise and provocative, heartbreaking and also somehow joyful.

Anderson made these people, these "Grotesques" so real, so believable, that one forgives them all their flaws and loves them and wants to reach back and cherish them.

Understand my pov, what I'm saying, please. I don't read books about dysfunctional people or families. I don't like being reminded how cultural expectations can literally kill creative or eccentric or even simply open-minded people. I don't like reading about violence or abuse or alcoholism. Also understand that I don't like artsy-fartsy or pretentious literature. And that I'm not a scholar, and that my favorite genre is children's books.

This is about dysfunctional people, harmful cultural expectations, etc. (I don't like that stuff.) It is *L*iterature and is appreciated by scholars. (I'm not a scholar.) And yet... I loved it.

I think it's because Anderson, at heart, loves these people, and he has crafted a style that conveys that to my heart.

If you write, you must, imo, read this. You may not want to use anything he does, but at least you can better define your style by comparing it to his. I, personally, agree with the character who says to George Willard:

"If you are to become a writer you'll have to stop fooling with words. It would be better to live up the notion of writing until you are better prepared. Now it's time to be living.... You must not become a peddler of words. The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say."

Oh, and a note to those who consider Anderson a misogynist - that's a young woman speaking. Seems pretty respectful to me.

I know that a lot of people to whom I would like to recommend this aren't interested and wouldn't have the same experience I did. I wish there was a way I could help them to do so. I hope you at least consider trying to read it.

* ISBN 1404339566, by IndyPublish.com" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
It's hard to find those kind of books where the action slowly meanders through the streets and fields, and doesn't come blasting out of weapons, or splash through in a rapid pace, firing wit at a whiplash pace. Winesburg, Ohio shapes the character of a small town through its characters, told slowly and gently through short story glimpses. I love a quiet paced book, with good writing, and even though this was really vignettes/short stories, it still had the gentle quality I long for in today's action packed world.

Almost embarrassed to admit, I might not have picked this up were it not for the Stanford Book Salon. I read in someone's review that the author died from peritonitis after his intestine was perforated by a piece of a toothpick left in a martini olive. I just want to reassure everyone that knows about the czuk "Martini Night" ritual on (most) Fridays, that we do not toothpick our Castlevietro olives. ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 28, 2016 |
I first read this as a college freshman in a lit. class. I love how Anderson weaves a series of what could have been stand-alone short stories into a larger narrative. The story "Hands" is particularly moving. Although he calls his characters "grotesques," Anderson portrays them with great affection.
  Bill.Dawson | Apr 18, 2016 |
I just read this book for a class of mine and i found that it was an awesome book that that i could really relate to George. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
Het boek kent enkele zich nogal herhalende thema’s en lijdt wat onder de afwezigheid van de psychologische inzichten die de er opvolgende decennia gemeengoed zouden worden. Toch heeft deze terechte heruitgave meer dan louter literair historische waarde. Het toont een Amerika op de historische grens van een agrarische naar een industriële samenleving, en het toont de onmacht, de hopeloos lijkende ontsnappingsstrategieën, de dieptrieste psychologische problematiek van het voetvolk dat nooit erkenning zou krijgen in het Amerikaanse succesverhaal. Sherwood Anderson zal dit nooit als oogmerk hebben gehad, omdat hij het lot van zijn personages als universeel zag en dat met veel mededogen noteerde.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Jan Donkers (pay site) (May 26, 2011)

Anderson, Sherwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cowley, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, IrvingIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koontz, DeanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trevisani, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother, Emma Smith Anderson, whose keen observations on the life about her first awoke in me the hunger to see beneath the surface of lives, this book is dedicated.
The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some difficulty in getting into bed. The windows of the house in which he lived were high and he wanted to look at the trees when he awoke in the morning. A carpenter came to fix the bed so that it would be on a level with the window.

Short stories with common setting and several common characters, and a rough chronological order. Life in small town Ohio in the late nineteenth century.

Includes: "Hands"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529952, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspired by Anderson's Midwestern boyhood and his adulthood in early 20th-century Chicago, this volume gave birth to the American story cycle, for which Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and later writers were forever indebted. Defying the prudish sensibilities of his time, Anderson embraced frankness and truth. Here we meet all those whose portraits brought the American short story into the modern age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

Profiles the people of a small Midwestern town in the early 1900s, revealing the consequences of human misunderstanding.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,723,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible