Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

Winesburg, Ohio (original 1919; edition 2012)

by Sherwood Anderson

Member:muddyboy
Title:Winesburg, Ohio
Authors:Sherwood Anderson
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 210 pages

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (1919)

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (chrisharpe)
    My Antonia by Willa Cather (chrisharpe)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (kxlly)
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury (bertilak)
    bertilak: Bradbury has said that Winesburg, Ohio was one of the inspirations for The Martian Chronicles (grotesque characters in Ohio versus on Mars).
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: The style of writing and realism in the portrayal of the characters is very similar.
    The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (kxlly)
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (kxlly)
    Fidelity: Five Stories by Wendell Berry (MissWoodhouse1816)
    A View of the Harbour by Elizabeth Taylor (AnnaKatharina)
    Marriages Are Made In India by Lakshmi Raj Sharma (Publerati)
    Publerati: Like Winesburg Ohio, this story collection hangs together in mood and theme in an appealing way.
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (gust)
    gust: Ook een verhalenbundel met terugkerende personages in de verschillende verhalen

English (72)  Catalan (6)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (82)
It's hard to find those kind of books where the action slowly meanders through the streets and fields, and doesn't come blasting out of weapons, or splash through in a rapid pace, firing wit at a whiplash pace. Winesburg, Ohio shapes the character of a small town through its characters, told slowly and gently through short story glimpses. I love a quiet paced book, with good writing, and even though this was really vignettes/short stories, it still had the gentle quality I long for in today's action packed world.

Almost embarrassed to admit, I might not have picked this up were it not for the Stanford Book Salon. I read in someone's review that the author died from peritonitis after his intestine was perforated by a piece of a toothpick left in a martini olive. I just want to reassure everyone that knows about the czuk "Martini Night" ritual on (most) Fridays, that we do not toothpick our Castlevietro olives. ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 28, 2016 |
I first read this as a college freshman in a lit. class. I love how Anderson weaves a series of what could have been stand-alone short stories into a larger narrative. The story "Hands" is particularly moving. Although he calls his characters "grotesques," Anderson portrays them with great affection.
  Bill.Dawson | Apr 18, 2016 |
I just read this book for a class of mine and i found that it was an awesome book that that i could really relate to George. ( )
  welkeral | Mar 20, 2016 |
Read excerpts for college - liked it enough to remember for three decades. Probably I should do so again, after all these years and books....

Ok, in my "You'll Love This One" group we are having a classics 'TBR Toppler.' So I finally got around to this. And loved it.

But the first thing I need to say is that this Edition* is Horrible! Typos abound, includ'ing more than one life -> fife and lots and lots of in-tact line breaks in the mid-dle of the line that totally inter-rupt the flow of the read-ing.

I also read [b:Winesburg, Ohio,|80180|Winesburg, Ohio, Notes Including Life|Ann R. Morris|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170979484s/80180.jpg|77423] (study guide) side-by-side with the book. So, iow, I didn't just plain immerse myself in it. And yet, oh goodness, lovely. Absolutely wise and provocative, heartbreaking and also somehow joyful.

Anderson made these people, these "Grotesques" so real, so believable, that one forgives them all their flaws and loves them and wants to reach back and cherish them.

Understand my pov, what I'm saying, please. I don't read books about dysfunctional people or families. I don't like being reminded how cultural expectations can literally kill creative or eccentric or even simply open-minded people. I don't like reading about violence or abuse or alcoholism. Also understand that I don't like artsy-fartsy or pretentious literature. And that I'm not a scholar, and that my favorite genre is children's books.

This is about dysfunctional people, harmful cultural expectations, etc. (I don't like that stuff.) It is *L*iterature and is appreciated by scholars. (I'm not a scholar.) And yet... I loved it.

I think it's because Anderson, at heart, loves these people, and he has crafted a style that conveys that to my heart.

If you write, you must, imo, read this. You may not want to use anything he does, but at least you can better define your style by comparing it to his. I, personally, agree with the character who says to George Willard:

"If you are to become a writer you'll have to stop fooling with words. It would be better to live up the notion of writing until you are better prepared. Now it's time to be living.... You must not become a peddler of words. The thing to learn is to know what people are thinking about, not what they say."

Oh, and a note to those who consider Anderson a misogynist - that's a young woman speaking. Seems pretty respectful to me.

I know that a lot of people to whom I would like to recommend this aren't interested and wouldn't have the same experience I did. I wish there was a way I could help them to do so. I hope you at least consider trying to read it.

* ISBN 1404339566, by IndyPublish.com ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Non so se dipende dalla traduzione o dallo stile, ma ho fatto fatica a finirlo. Frasi semplici ma costruite a volte in modo forzoso, blocchi di parole poco scorrevoli, spesso ho dovuto leggere ripetutamente per fissare una immagine, un dialogo, un prosieguo. In alcuni racconti la mano è piu' felice e si scivola via, in altri si rimane li', anche se sono solo sette pagine per passare ad altro pezzetto di puzzle.

Lascia un ricordo di uomini che non parlano, di campi con erba alta fino alla vita, di possibilità. Era il 1919 quando Anderson ha scritto questa ragnatela di racconti: c'era ancora tanto da fare, tanto da cambiare. Adesso i suoi personaggi, molti dei suoi personaggi, dormirebbero agli angoli di strada, sopra ad un cartone, o farebbero la fila per un pasto caldo alla mensa dell'assistenza sociale. Qualcuna sarebbe in clinica, altre in un bordello.

Allora era solo un paese di poche anime nell'Ohio. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |

Anderson, Sherwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cowley, MalcolmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, IrvingIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koontz, DeanAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trevisani, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother, Emma Smith Anderson, whose keen observations on the life about her first awoke in me the hunger to see beneath the surface of lives, this book is dedicated.
The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some difficulty in getting into bed. The windows of the house in which he lived were high and he wanted to look at the trees when he awoke in the morning. A carpenter came to fix the bed so that it would be on a level with the window.

Short stories with common setting and several common characters, and a rough chronological order. Life in small town Ohio in the late nineteenth century.

Includes: "Hands"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451529952, Mass Market Paperback)

Inspired by Anderson's Midwestern boyhood and his adulthood in early 20th-century Chicago, this volume gave birth to the American story cycle, for which Faulkner, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and later writers were forever indebted. Defying the prudish sensibilities of his time, Anderson embraced frankness and truth. Here we meet all those whose portraits brought the American short story into the modern age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

Profiles the people of a small Midwestern town in the early 1900s, revealing the consequences of human misunderstanding.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible