The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

The Cricket in Times Square (1960)

by George Selden

Other authors: Garth Williams (Illustrator)

Series: Chester Cricket and Friends (1)

3,440None1,558 (4)45
    Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (cmbohn)
    Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater (cmbohn)
    The Old Meadow by George Selden (editfish)
    editfish: This book is a sequel to 'A Cricket in Times Square'. Don't read any of the other 'Chester' or 'Harry' books until you've first read that one!
    Chester Cricket's New Home by George Selden (editfish)

I loved this story, with all its wonderful New York characters and the cricket who brought hope to a huge city (and who loved him some liverwurst!) ( )
  CallMeChristina | Mar 23, 2014 |
Good early read aloud. Yet another book where I cried at the end and my 5 year old consoled me. I am a sap!

The book had some slow parts but picked up mind-way through and I loved the ending. It was an enjoyable book for both the parent reader and the child listener. There were some plot twists that kept the story engaging. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
This book is about the magic of animals, even though there isn't really any magic involved at all. The author has managed to include each character's back story without taking anything from the plot itself and has a natural way of moving along in from page to page that is just perfect and quite possibly deserving of more than just the Newbery Honor. It is a perfect story for young readers and it is a heartwarming reread for adults, who just might rediscover some faith in humanity as they go from cover to cover. A Cricket in Times Square is one of those charming classics that everyone should read. ( )
  mirrani | Dec 31, 2013 |
As far as I am concerned, this book should have won the Newbery Award.

Chester Cricket finds himself miles from his Connecticut meadow home, deep in the bowels of NYC 's subway stations, and underneath Times Square. How he makes a difference in the lives of those around him, Harry the cat, Tucker the mouse, Mario and the great teeming crowds of the subway station, is not just charming or delightful, but so much more.

"The Cricket in Times Square" is a children's book that should also speak to adults, to that inner child in each of us. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 21, 2013 |
I'd been meaning to read The Cricket in Times Square for some time now. So, when I was browsing through available audiobooks for a recent trip, I was pleased to come across this -- and not only was it a book I had been meaning to read, but it was narrated by Tony Shaloub!

Mario's family owns a newsstand in the Times Square subway station. One day, while minding the stand, Mario hears a sound one doesn't usually hear in New York City: the soft chirping of a cricket. The cricket in question is Chester, who inadvertently caught a ride in from Connecticut in a picnic basket. Mario is fascinated by the small creature and makes a pet of him -- albeit one that lives at the newsstand, since his mother will not allow the insect into her house. At the newsstand, Chester is soon befriended by Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat, two street-smart city dwellers who appreciate Chester's friendly personality and musical ability. Chester enjoys life with his new friends, but then, disaster strikes, and it is at least partially Chester's fault. Can he find a way to make up for it to his benefactors -- and will he ever find his way back home to Connecticut?

I'm not sure how I missed out on this book as a kid, since it's just the sort of thing I would have liked. I enjoyed it now, of course, though it is a little dated in spots (Mario visits Chinatown and the depictions of his visit there don't sit as well with a modern audience as they may have in the past). Unsurprisingly, Shaloub's narration is excellent and contributed to my enjoyment of the story. ( )
  foggidawn | Nov 21, 2013 |

George Seldenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A mouse was looking at Mario.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440415632, Paperback)

One night, the sounds of New York City--the rumbling of subway trains, thrumming of automobile tires, hooting of horns, howling of brakes, and the babbling of voices--is interrupted by a sound that even Tucker Mouse, a jaded inhabitant of Times Square, has never heard before. Mario, the son of Mama and Papa Bellini, proprietors of the subway-station newsstand, had only heard the sound once. What was this new, strangely musical chirping? None other than the mellifluous leg-rubbing of the somewhat disoriented Chester Cricket from Connecticut. Attracted by the irresistible smell of liverwurst, Chester had foolishly jumped into the picnic basket of some unsuspecting New Yorkers on a junket to the country. Despite the insect's wurst intentions, he ends up in a pile of dirt in Times Square.

Mario is elated to find Chester. He begs his parents to let him keep the shiny insect in the newsstand, assuring his bug-fearing mother that crickets are harmless, maybe even good luck. What ensues is an altogether captivating spin on the city mouse/country mouse story, as Chester adjusts to the bustle of the big city. Despite the cricket's comfortable matchbox bed (with Kleenex sheets); the fancy, seven-tiered pagoda cricket cage from Sai Fong's novelty shop; tasty mulberry leaves; the jolly company of Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat; and even his new-found fame as "the most famous musician in New York City," Chester begins to miss his peaceful life in the Connecticut countryside. The Cricket in Times Square--a Newbery Award runner-up in 1961--is charmingly illustrated by the well-loved Garth Williams, and the tiniest details of this elegantly spun, vividly told, surprisingly suspenseful tale will stick with children for years and years. Make sure this classic sits on the shelf of your favorite child, right next to The Wind in the Willows. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:09 -0400)

The adventures of a country cricket who unintentionally arrives in New York and is befriended by Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible