The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

The Cricket in Times Square (1960)

by George Selden

Other authors: Garth Williams (Illustrator)

Series: Chester Cricket and Friends (1)

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (cmbohn)
    Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater (cmbohn)
    The Old Meadow by George Selden (editfish)
    editfish: This book is a sequel to 'A Cricket in Times Square'. Don't read any of the other 'Chester' or 'Harry' books until you've first read that one!
    Chester Cricket's New Home by George Selden (editfish)

I liked this book. To begin with, the first reason why I liked this book was because although it is a chapter book, there are still some pictures sketched along some of the pages. For instance, in Chapter 3, Chester the cricket meets Tucker the mouse. Along one of the pages in Chapter 3, you see a black and white sketched drawing of Chester and Tucker together. I liked that this chapter book still had a few pictures so keep the readers interested and see a visual of what they were reading. The next reason why I liked this book was the storyline of it. Chester is a country cricket that gets stranded in New York and has to make a new home and life for himself. Along the way he meets friends who convince him to stay in New York. One night he realizes that he sees the same star that he watched in Connecticut, and realizes that he can make a home anywhere, especially with the help of his new friends. I think this storyline is something that will be touching to children who read it. Next, I liked the descriptiveness of the text. For example, “towers seem like mountains of light in the night sky” or “the air was full of the roar of traffic.” The big idea of this book is that the kindness of strangers can make a huge difference in your life, and that there can be a home away from home, just like Chester realized. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
First read this in 1990 for school, and I still think it is super cute. A great readalike for Charlotte's Webb. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Sep 13, 2014 |
This was one of my favorite "chapter" books when I was growing up. It's an adorable tale about a cat and a mouse who become friends (if I remember correctly -- I'm getting old, which means both that it's been a long time since I've read it, and that my memory is failing). ( )

George Seldenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A mouse was looking at Mario.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440415632, Paperback)

One night, the sounds of New York City--the rumbling of subway trains, thrumming of automobile tires, hooting of horns, howling of brakes, and the babbling of voices--is interrupted by a sound that even Tucker Mouse, a jaded inhabitant of Times Square, has never heard before. Mario, the son of Mama and Papa Bellini, proprietors of the subway-station newsstand, had only heard the sound once. What was this new, strangely musical chirping? None other than the mellifluous leg-rubbing of the somewhat disoriented Chester Cricket from Connecticut. Attracted by the irresistible smell of liverwurst, Chester had foolishly jumped into the picnic basket of some unsuspecting New Yorkers on a junket to the country. Despite the insect's wurst intentions, he ends up in a pile of dirt in Times Square.

Mario is elated to find Chester. He begs his parents to let him keep the shiny insect in the newsstand, assuring his bug-fearing mother that crickets are harmless, maybe even good luck. What ensues is an altogether captivating spin on the city mouse/country mouse story, as Chester adjusts to the bustle of the big city. Despite the cricket's comfortable matchbox bed (with Kleenex sheets); the fancy, seven-tiered pagoda cricket cage from Sai Fong's novelty shop; tasty mulberry leaves; the jolly company of Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat; and even his new-found fame as "the most famous musician in New York City," Chester begins to miss his peaceful life in the Connecticut countryside. The Cricket in Times Square--a Newbery Award runner-up in 1961--is charmingly illustrated by the well-loved Garth Williams, and the tiniest details of this elegantly spun, vividly told, surprisingly suspenseful tale will stick with children for years and years. Make sure this classic sits on the shelf of your favorite child, right next to The Wind in the Willows. (Ages 9 to 12)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:09 -0400)

The adventures of a country cricket who unintentionally arrives in New York and is befriended by Tucker Mouse and Harry Cat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,979,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible