Berlin: City of Stones by Jason Lutes

Berlin: City of Stones (2000)

by Jason Lutes

Series: Berlin (Book 1)

4931920,740 (4.03)11

English (16)  Danish (2)  Polish (1)  All languages (19)
A complicated tale of entertwining personal stories marking out the major themes of the rise of Nazism. Full marks for the intellectual depth and use of artistic stylings to convey complex themes (e.g., the two pages of textless illustrations of the jazz band on stage for the first time brilliantly communicates the magic of the moment). Less successful is the illustrator's ability to create visually distinct characters that can always be identified on sight with no identifying speech. Some of the people, at least to me, look much the same in some instances, so it can be challenging to piece together the individual episodes into the appropriate storyline. Could just be me, though. ( )
  dono421846 | Jan 25, 2014 |
It’s Berlin, in the years before World War II. We follow a group of characters—including the young art student Marthe, her friends, and a journalist named Kurt Severing—as they live their ordinary lives on what we now know is the brink of a horror. The story sprawls throughout the city, focusing on seemingly unrelated events that we come to see as connected. Nazis are just coming to power, Communists are protesting, American jazz is being played in cabarets, Marthe and Kurt are falling in love, and a mother leaves her Nazi husband to protect her kids. And there’s so much more! Berlin may be the best graphic novel of the last ten years. Jason Lutes uses words and pictures together to tell a story that can’t be told in any other way. He’s at work on a sequel right now, which you can read in installments once you finish Berlin. Like Bechdel (and most of my own favorite cartoonists), Lutes is heavily influenced by Herge (of TIN TIN fame).
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
I picked up this book a year ago at a Borders at BWI, where they had quite a few graphic novels and manga. I picked it because it takes place between the world wars, during Weimar Germany. It has multiple parallel story lines, which makes it complex, but not too complicated, although at times I had trouble recognizing characters until they were in their usual clothing, setting, with other particular characters. It very much deals with the politics of the era and the rise of National Sozialismus. It does not focus on the cabaret scene, which is what Weimar Germany is most known for. But some of its characters are involved with arts and also non-traditional gender roles and relationships. This volume's ending obviously sets up its continuation in vol. 2: two of the story lines are given major turning points at the end. I was pleased to see that my local comic book store does in fact have vol. 2 and I plan to go pick it up. ( )
  AmyMacEvilly | Mar 31, 2013 |
Graphic novel, part 1.
  grheault | Nov 9, 2012 |
Berlin: City of Stones, according to the magazine Time, is one of the best graphic novel ever written.

Berlin: City of Stones by Jason Lutes is supposed to be a graphic novel series describing life in Berlin between WWI and WWII. The main characters of book one are an art student (Marthe Mueller) and a journalist (Kurt Severing), a second story line tells about a family who decides to follow the main political streams: mother and daughter join the communist party, while father and son join the Nazis.

In Germany, following World War First, a new government called Weimar Republic is established ; this new parliamentary republic has to face many problems: economic, extremism on the left and right political parties. Weimar Republic ends with the beginning of Hitler’s Third Reich.

Back to Berlin: City of Stones, the drawings of this graphic novel are very impressive, black and white shows and tells brilliantly the History of these years.

A last thought / question: Is Kurt Severing the double of Walter Benjamin (without mustache)? ( )
  GrazianoRonca | Oct 27, 2010 |

Jason Lutesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benlloch, KikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hello.
Only combine like issues full graphic novel editions of Berlin together. Do not combine ALL instances into one super-work. Each graphic novel collection and individual issue is a unique work.

Covers eight months in Berlin, from September 1928 to May Day, 1929, meticulously documenting the hopes and struggles of its inhabitants as their future is darkened by a growing shadow.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,642,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible