Berlin: City of Stones by Jason Lutes

Berlin: City of Stones (2000)

by Jason Lutes

Series: Berlin (Book 1)

5182019,606 (4.03)11
Recently added byAndalaira, elenchus, private library, roof77, arotulon, kittyjay, EnidaV, felixpaulsen, Rajakreivi

English (17)  Danish (2)  Polish (1)  All languages (20)
Set in Berlin from September 1928 - May Day 1929, this graphic novel charts the rise of the Third Reich. At times it was hard to follow because there are lots of characters that are drawn in a very similar way. The story deals with the communists in Berlin at that time, the growing Nazi party, and prejudice against Jews. Two of the main characters are a journalist named Kurt Severing and artist, Marthe Muller, who meet by chance on a train.

BOTTOM LINE: I will definitely read the next segment “Part 2” as the book ends on a cliffhanger. I enjoyed it, especially the historical side, but didn’t love it.

“One thing I love about this city is the way all of our different worlds rub shoulders every day.” ( )
  bookworm12 | May 8, 2015 |
A complicated tale of entertwining personal stories marking out the major themes of the rise of Nazism. Full marks for the intellectual depth and use of artistic stylings to convey complex themes (e.g., the two pages of textless illustrations of the jazz band on stage for the first time brilliantly communicates the magic of the moment). Less successful is the illustrator's ability to create visually distinct characters that can always be identified on sight with no identifying speech. Some of the people, at least to me, look much the same in some instances, so it can be challenging to piece together the individual episodes into the appropriate storyline. Could just be me, though. ( )
  dono421846 | Jan 25, 2014 |
It’s Berlin, in the years before World War II. We follow a group of characters—including the young art student Marthe, her friends, and a journalist named Kurt Severing—as they live their ordinary lives on what we now know is the brink of a horror. The story sprawls throughout the city, focusing on seemingly unrelated events that we come to see as connected. Nazis are just coming to power, Communists are protesting, American jazz is being played in cabarets, Marthe and Kurt are falling in love, and a mother leaves her Nazi husband to protect her kids. And there’s so much more! Berlin may be the best graphic novel of the last ten years. Jason Lutes uses words and pictures together to tell a story that can’t be told in any other way. He’s at work on a sequel right now, which you can read in installments once you finish Berlin. Like Bechdel (and most of my own favorite cartoonists), Lutes is heavily influenced by Herge (of TIN TIN fame).
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
I picked up this book a year ago at a Borders at BWI, where they had quite a few graphic novels and manga. I picked it because it takes place between the world wars, during Weimar Germany. It has multiple parallel story lines, which makes it complex, but not too complicated, although at times I had trouble recognizing characters until they were in their usual clothing, setting, with other particular characters. It very much deals with the politics of the era and the rise of National Sozialismus. It does not focus on the cabaret scene, which is what Weimar Germany is most known for. But some of its characters are involved with arts and also non-traditional gender roles and relationships. This volume's ending obviously sets up its continuation in vol. 2: two of the story lines are given major turning points at the end. I was pleased to see that my local comic book store does in fact have vol. 2 and I plan to go pick it up. ( )
  AmyMacEvilly | Mar 31, 2013 |
Graphic novel, part 1.
  grheault | Nov 9, 2012 |

Jason Lutesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benlloch, KikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hello.
Only combine like issues full graphic novel editions of Berlin together. Do not combine ALL instances into one super-work. Each graphic novel collection and individual issue is a unique work.

Covers eight months in Berlin, from September 1928 to May Day, 1929, meticulously documenting the hopes and struggles of its inhabitants as their future is darkened by a growing shadow.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,858,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible