Bone by Fae Myenne Ng

Bone (1993)

by Fae Myenne Ng

Really promising premise undone by really mediocre writing style, characterization, and overall storytelling ability. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
Books Reads in the Past:

A novel structured with jumps in the time of the narrative, and very effectively so. Ng's plotting allows for revelations and surprises even though the outcomes are already known. This structure can feel formulaic in less capable hands, but here is simply a plot structure to provide scaffolding for a well-rendered, emotional, and intimate story. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
OK book, I was expecting more based on reviews.
  laluna179 | Aug 10, 2011 |
The story of a Chinese-American family, this books tells the struggles of dealing with the complex relationships of family. It was written chronologically backwards, which took me a few chapters to realize. However, it was an very unique tactic, which made for an interesting read. I originally picked it up to use for my term paper on mother-daughter relationships in Asian American literature. I quickly realized it wasn't going to be helpful for my paper, but I still enjoyed reading it. ( )
  mysteena | May 24, 2010 |
  mysteena | May 24, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006097592X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:29 -0400)

In this profoundly moving novel, Fae Myenne Ng takes readers into the hidden heart of San Francisco's Chinatown, to a world of family secrets, hidden shames, and the lost bones of a "paper father." It is a world in which two generations of the Leong family live in an uneasy tension as they try to fathom the source of the middle daughter Ona's sorrow. Fae Myenne Ng's portraits of the everyday heroism of the Leongs--who inflict deep hurt on each other in their struggles to survive, yet sustain one another with loyalty and love--have made Bone one of the most critically acclaimed novels of recent years and immediately a classic of contemporary American life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,115,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible