The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth

The Enormous Egg (original 1956; edition 1970)

by Oliver Butterworth

Member:fuzzi
Title:The Enormous Egg
Authors:Oliver Butterworth
Info:Scholastic Book Services (1970), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, Child/Youth Books

The Enormous Egg by Oliver Butterworth (1956)

I enjoyed the early parts of this book - quaint farm life turned upside down when an unusual egg is found in the hen house. We lost some steam for the plot towards the end. I would recommend it as a read aloud to anyone who has a dino fan among their listeners as I am sure it would spark some interest. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Extremely funny story about a boy who finds a chicken has laid an enormous egg which turns out to be a triceratops. A friendly palaeontologist advising him on raising it, and when it is given to the National Zoo, a senator offers a bill in Congress to get rid of it, but the boy goes on TV and makes an appeal, and the firestorm of response saves the dinosaur --surprisingly sophisticated politics for a children's story, Very nice amusing illustrations which catch the triceratops' [personality well. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 10, 2013 |
The boy loved this. Really, between dinos, a chatty narrator, DC sights that we saw earlier this month, and politics . . . there was something for everyone. ( )
  beckydj | May 28, 2013 |
My son's elementary school is sponsoring their 2nd annual One Book One School month. Each family gets a copy of the book to keep, and we all get a reading schedule. The kids talk about the book at school and at the end of the month, there is an activity night at the elementary. This year, the book was [The Enormous Egg]. It was originally written in the 1950's and tells the story of a boy who finds an unusual egg in his chicken coop. The egg takes longer to hatch than a normal chicken egg, but it is worth the weight. The story held my third grader's interest, but I've also heard that the younger kids are enjoying it too. I love that this program gets the whole community talking about a book that is being shared by so many kiddos! ( )
  porch_reader | Apr 28, 2013 |
Young Nate Twitchell is surprised when one of the hens on his family farm lays a giant egg. After a painstaking wait, Nate is even more surprised when it hatches and out pops a baby triceratops that he names Uncle Beazley! But when Nate decides to keep the dino and raise it on his own, he has no idea what he's getting himself into. As Uncle Beazley grows, Nate and his family realize they are not equipped to take care of a full-sized dinosaur, and so with the help of their scientist friend, Nate and Uncle Beazley set off for the National Museum in Washington, D.C., on the hunt for the perfect home for a modern-day dinosaur—-then the real trouble begins! ( )
  robynr | Aug 30, 2012 |

Butterworth, Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Michael, Timothy, Dan and Kate

who are my closest critics
My name is Nate Twitchell, but I can't help that.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316119202, Paperback)

Young Nate Twitchell is surprised when one of the hens on his family farm lays a giant egg. After a painstaking wait, Nate is even more surprised when it hatches and out pops a baby triceratops that he names Uncle Beazley! But when Nate decides to keep the dino and raise it on his own, he has no idea what he's getting himself into. As Uncle Beazley grows, Nate and his family realize they are not equipped to take care of a full-sized dinosaur, and so with the help of their scientist friend, Nate and Uncle Beazley set off for the National Museum in Washington, D.C., on the hunt for the perfect home for a modern-day dinosaur---then the real trouble begins!

The Enormous Egg was originally published in 1956 and has been a classic in children's literature ever since. This brand new edition features amazing new illustrations from Eisner-award winning graphic novelist Mark Crilley (creator of Akiko and Miki Falls).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:56 -0400)

When Nate Twitchell discovers that one of his family's hens has laid the biggest egg he has ever seen, he is determined to see it hatch. And when it does, neither he nor his parents, the townspeople, the scientists, or the politicians from Washington are prepared for what comes out!… (more)

81 avail.2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,462,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible