This Perfect Day by Ira Levin

This Perfect Day (1970)

by Ira Levin

9832612,667 (3.9)1 / 43

English (24)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (26)
Il genere fantapolitica non è tra i miei preferiti. Ho letto qualcosa, certo, gli irrinunciabili, e mi sono piaciuti, ma sono tutt'altro che un'estimatrice del genere. Anche "Questo giorno perfetto" mi è piaciuto molto, per il modo in cui è scritto e per come si sviluppa la storia. Mi è piaciuto il fatto che l'autore presenta la situazione del mondo di Uni piano piano, nel corso del romanzo, senza svelare tutto subito: ad esempio, è solo alla fine del romanzo che apprendiamo che nel mondo di Uni non piove mai di giorno. Mi è piaciuto il personaggio del protagonista e, soprattutto, mi è piaciuto molto il finale: quando ero preparata a una conclusione amara ecco il colpo di scena, il twist. Un vaso di Pandora in cui la speranza è al fondo, ma c'è.
Probabilmente non era l'intenzione dell'autore, ma per me è stato facile trovare una doppia chiave di lettura del romanzo: quella, evidente, che si rifà all'allegoria degli assolutismi e a come il successo di questi si basa sull'appiattimento dell'individualità delle persone. L'altra, riconducibile alle convenzioni, alla morale pubblica vs morale privata: al fatto che, anche libere da un regime assolutista, le persone sono necessariamente condizionate per il fatto stesso di vivere in una società fondata su regole (scritte e no). ( )
  lonelypepper | Feb 22, 2018 |
Writing a dystopian novel in the late 1970s wasn't an easy task. You'd have to say something 1984, Brave New World, and Lord of The Flies hadn't said. This book doesn't.

On top of it, it's just so damn clumsily written half the time. Thin characters, confusing descriptions of environments and action scenes, polemic dialog.

Levin can be a very engaging writer. Here, he leaves his economical, small-allegory skills at the door and attempts an epic history set in a complex and alien world. He fails.
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
In my opinion, this is the best book written by Ira Levin. The premise of the benevolent unicomp controlling people and forcing them to conform to its will is not a new one. Except, Ira knows how to frame the realities of tyrannical rule. Some would say he's too structured in his plot and subplots - the twists are programmed like clockwork - but I didn't care. The book kept my suspense, nonetheless. The more immersed I was in Ira's tale, the more I felt that I was the protagonist Chip. I wanted to get the squirm out of the clutches of unicomp; disappear from sight; and live off an island far, far way. I fear, however, it's impossible to do this today. You can't be "what you want to be" - flawed and left alone. No man (or woman) is an island, after all. ( )
1 vote MahaErwin | Sep 16, 2016 |
Ok, first, I wasn't sure I even wanted to read this. I read reviews, and my husband read it, and so I finally decided to. I'm glad I did, and would give it 3.5 stars if we had 1/2 stars. Second, to people who judged the whole book based on how well they could stomach the rape scene, well, they weren't reading it carefully in full context. I'd say more but it'd be a spoiler. I do recommend the book for anyone who is interested in sf issues like dystopia, cloning, the-good-of-the-many.... ( )
1 vote Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Ira Levin's novel reads like a straightforward version of Huxley's Brave New World. I liked it, but there's better out there. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
A futuristic society run entirely by computer, and an individual's rebellion against it.
added by KayCliff | editNational Housewives Register Newsletter, Hazel K. Bell (Sep 1, 1976)

In de toekomst wordt de wereld bestuurd door een computer die een in bepaalde opzichten ideale maatschappij heeft gecreëerd (geen honger, rassendiscriminatie e.d.) waarin echter alle persoonlijke vrijheid verdwenen is. De hoofdpersoon komt in verzet, vlucht naar een eiland, vindt daar medestanders, etc. met andere woorden: een traditionele anti-utopie, gebaseerd op het (m.i. valse) dilemma tussen de ideale staat en de persoonlijke vrijheid. Huxley en Orwell, wier invloed diudelijk is, zijn beter, maar omgekeerd is Levin weer veel beter dan de doorsnee-sf. Het boek is overigens uitgebracht als een 'thriller', waarschijnlijk om de niet-sf-lezer niet af te schrikken. Vrij kleine druk.
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Ira Levinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Niessen-Hossele, J.F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trigell, JonathanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Christ, Marx, Wood, and Wei
Led us to this perfect day.
Marx, Wood, Wei and Christ;
All but Wei were sacrificed.
Wood, Wei, Christ, and Marx
Gave us lovely schools and parks.
Wei, Christ, Marx, and Wood
Made us humble, made us good.
- child's rhyme for bouncing a ball
COMPLETED IN JUNE, 1969 IN NEW YORK CITY AND DEDICATED TO ADAM LEVIN, JED LEVIN, AND NICHOLAS LEVIN
A city's blank white concrete slabs, the giant ones ringed by the less giant, gave space in their midst to a broad pink-floored plaza, a playground in which some two hundred young children played and exercised under the care of a dozen supervisors in white coveralls.
"[You're going to see] the machine that's going to classify you and give you your assignments, that's going to decide where you'll live and whom you'll marry, whether you'll have children and what they'll be named."
"What do you think a treatment consists of?" ... "Vaccines, enzymes, contraceptive, tranquilizer, & LPK."
"What do you do when you're programming a computer to maintain a perfectly efficient, perfectly stable, perfectly cooperative society? How do you allow for biological freaks, `incurables', possible trouble-makers?"

The entire world is ruled by the programmers of a central computer called UniComp, buried under the Alps, post-Unification. There is complete standardisation: only one language and all ethnic groups have been eugenically merged into one race called "The Family". All family members die at 62. People are continually drugged, and assigned a counsellor who acts as a mentor, confessor, and parole agent.

Chip fights for freedom from a mechanized, chemically controlled world which stifles nature and human individuality.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,996,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible