This Perfect Day by Ira Levin

This Perfect Day (original 1970; edition 1970)

by Ira Levin, Gene Szafran (Illustrator)

7831911,764 (3.93)1 / 34
Member:sturlington
Title:This Perfect Day
Authors:Ira Levin
Other authors:Gene Szafran (Illustrator)
Info:Open Road Integrated Media (2011), E-book
Collections:Kindle
Rating:***
Tags:Dystopian fiction, 2012

This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (1970)

Recently added byMJF68, randys_bookbuzz, private library, thomwren, vanelswijk, slaterfamily, pkg427, joralv

English (18)  Dutch (1)  All languages (19)
Not quite as good as his other books. Didn't hold up as well over time. Awkwardly dated. ( )
  elizabeth.b.bevins | Nov 4, 2014 |
very surprising almost ending. women seem only useful as sex objects to hero. levin does have an interesting imagination. ( )
  mahallett | Oct 8, 2014 |
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
The premise gripped me: a society where "treatments" subdue free thinking and a computer makes all decisions. Clearly, this is a critique of socialism, an issue at the top of people's minds when this was completed in 1969.

Unfortunately, the sexism of the 60s is also here, and it takes away from the book's enjoyment. Scenes of harrassment, adultery and even rape are glossed over and brushed aside without consequence, making the heroes of this story difficult to care for.

This Perfect Day may still be worth the read for fans of dystopian novels, but it does not hold up as well as other stories in the genre. It starts strong and the writing is engaging; it's just a shame the protagonist here is so hard to like. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |
Quite a fast reading. One of the best dystopian books out there. Though 1984 is a classic I find it very slow unlike this perfect day, where we are emerged and the world and the feelings (or lack of them) that is the world after the union. The book seems quite predictable but it is not. I has it's twists, the end is surprising and I say if you are into that kind of literature is a must read. And I'm torn apart between giving a 4 or a 5. ( )
  crdf | Sep 15, 2013 |

Is contained in

Christ, Marx, Wood, and Wei
Led us to this perfect day.
Marx, Wood, Wei and Christ;
All but Wei were sacrificed.
Wood, Wei, Christ, and Marx
Gave us lovely schools and parks.
Wei, Christ, Marx, and Wood
Made us humble, made us good.
- child's rhyme for bouncing a ball
COMPLETED IN JUNE, 1969 IN NEW YORK CITY AND DEDICATED TO ADAM LEVIN, JED LEVIN, AND NICHOLAS LEVIN
A city's blank white concrete slabs, the giant ones ringed by the less giant, gave space in their midst to a broad pink-floored plaza, a playground in which some two hundred young children played and exercised under the care of a dozen supervisors in white coveralls.

Chip fights for freedom from a mechanized, chemically controlled world which stifles nature and human individuality.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,461,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible