This Perfect Day by Ira Levin

This Perfect Day (original 1970; edition 1970)

by Ira Levin, Gene Szafran (Illustrator)

8122111,220 (3.95)1 / 35
Title:This Perfect Day
Authors:Ira Levin
Other authors:Gene Szafran (Illustrator)
Info:Open Road Integrated Media (2011), E-book
Collections:Read but unowned, Kindle
Tags:fiction, SFF, 1970s, dystopia, computers and technology, read in 2012

This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (1970)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Ok, first, I wasn't sure I even wanted to read this. I read reviews, and my husband read it, and so I finally decided to. I'm glad I did, and would give it 3.5 stars if we had 1/2 stars. Second, to people who judged the whole book based on how well they could stomach the rape scene, well, they weren't reading it carefully in full context. I'd say more but it'd be a spoiler. I do recommend the book for anyone who is interested in sf issues like dystopia, cloning, the-good-of-the-many.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
My all-time favorite book, [This Perfect Day] is filled with social commentary and plot twists. An astounding read! ( )
  AstoundingBruce | Jan 29, 2015 |
Not quite as good as his other books. Didn't hold up as well over time. Awkwardly dated. ( )
  elizabeth.b.bevins | Nov 4, 2014 |
very surprising almost ending. women seem only useful as sex objects to hero. levin does have an interesting imagination. ( )
  mahallett | Oct 8, 2014 |
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
A futuristic society run entirely by computer, and an individual's rebellion against it.
added by KayCliff | editNational Housewives Register Newsletter, Hazel K. Bell (Sep 1, 1976)

Ira Levinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Niessen-Hossele, J.F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Christ, Marx, Wood, and Wei
Led us to this perfect day.
Marx, Wood, Wei and Christ;
All but Wei were sacrificed.
Wood, Wei, Christ, and Marx
Gave us lovely schools and parks.
Wei, Christ, Marx, and Wood
Made us humble, made us good.
- child's rhyme for bouncing a ball
A city's blank white concrete slabs, the giant ones ringed by the less giant, gave space in their midst to a broad pink-floored plaza, a playground in which some two hundred young children played and exercised under the care of a dozen supervisors in white coveralls.

Chip fights for freedom from a mechanized, chemically controlled world which stifles nature and human individuality.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,716,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible