The Fields of Home (The Little Britches…

The Fields of Home (The Little Britches Series) (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Ralph Moody, Cameron Beierle (Reader)

203357,794 (4.42)None
Member:lroche6
Title:The Fields of Home (The Little Britches Series)
Authors:Ralph Moody
Other authors:Cameron Beierle (Reader)
Info:Books in Motion (2001), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:Faves

The Fields of Home by Ralph Moody (1993)

Easily my least favorite of the series. Grandfather's an evil, abusive, horrible man. I don't give the proverbial south end of a northbound rat that he shows his softer side by the end, he's still a pure D jerk. Every time he opened his mouth to berate someone, I cringed. Every time he begrudged Ralph or Millie the very food they ate, I got mad.

This book was also much more overtly religious than the others, with the unlikely proselytizer being the evil grandfather. I can't imagine that such a deeply misanthropic git as the grandfather would be welcomed by St. Peter, based on what I know of religion.

I understand the lesson here, about loving those who are not lovable, and suffering long and becoming a better person because of it. However, I don't believe this philosophy, and would have run away to Colorado by the end of the first week. Though I did, in fact, suffer through every word of this book.

The narrator, in addition to the over-enunciation I've almost grown used to, mispronounces several words throughout. It sounds inauthentic in the extreme to hear farm people referring to 'vicTWOulls' and 'hay MOs', among other things. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I loved the crotchety character of Ralph's grandfather. Watching Ralph learn to love his grandfather and work with his prejudices and unpleasant behavior was heartwarming. And watching his grandfather change his ways and come to be proud of Ralph was just as nice. Ralph is growing up to be such a nice young man. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 15, 2007 |
9 of 9 people found the following review helpful:
Ralph and his Grandfather, June 11, 2000

The whole set of Ralph Moody books rank at the very top of read-aloud books with our children. We have read them all several times. This is my favorite. What a powerful story of the contending of wills between an old man and his grandson. You won't forget this story. ( )
  artnking | Jun 5, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0803281943, Paperback)

The fatherless Moody family moved from Colorado to Medford, Massachusetts, in 1912, when Ralph was entering his teens. "I tried as hard as I could to be a city boy, but I didn't have very good luck," he says at the beginning of The Fields of Home. "Just little things that would have been all right in Colorado were always getting me in trouble." So he is sent to his grandfather's farm in Maine, where he finds a new set of adventures.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

"The fatherless Moody family moves from Colorado to Massachusetts in 1912, when Ralph enters his teens. There, he discovers that 'just little things that would have been all right in Colorado' now get him into trouble. He is sent to his grandfather's farm in Maine, where he finds adventures every bit as colorful as those described in Little Britches and Man of the Family"--Description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,178,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible