Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Interview with the Vampire (1976)

by Anne Rice

Series: Vampire Chronicles (1)

15,334203120 (3.84)332
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (becca58203)
    Agyar by Steven Brust (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: The diary of a vampire. A bit more modern than Rice's tale.
    The Passion by Donna Boyd (VictoriaPL)
    Sunglasses After Dark by Nancy A. Collins (VictoriaPL)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    The Thief of Time by John Boyne (Booksloth)
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (letsdisco2373)
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (196)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (203)
I changed this rating due to personal reasons. Was a three star now a one. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
I was disappointed. I had really high hopes for this book and it just did NOT live up to my expectations. It was well written, but I got bored with the story after awhile. There was a lot of whining and not a lot of doing. I really just wanted to smack Louis for having no backbone, not liking the way things were going, and yet doing NOTHING about it. I mean, he let the little girl practically run his life and yet she was much younger than he, both by human and vampire standards.

I don't understand why everyone raves about this story. The overall story is incredibly droll and I would not recommend this to anyone. If it's on your summer reading list, pick another book because you will be thoroughly disappointed. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
I don't know how I have made it all these years without either reading this book or seeing the movie. The past week has brought me both of those joys.

I could not have planned reading this book at a more perfect time--starting the book when I was in San Francisco, where the interview takes place.

My first venture into he world of vampires by Anne Rice, I thoroughly enjoyed the internal struggles Louis has with his new 'nature' and how he struggles with his humanity...as a vampire.

A good read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Such a great book. The relationships between the 2 male vampires was on the verge of being erotic. ( )
  AliciaEmamdee | May 30, 2014 |
I was initially introduced to the Vampire Chronicles through the movie made of Interview with the Vampire and have recently decided to try to read all of the books, needing to finish before the release of Prince Lestat this October. Funny enough that, while watching the movie, I worried myself for being as sadistic as Lestat for thinking the movie a comedy as I watched it, but that's going into a tangent.

Since I saw the movie first, not much had surprised me, but I didn't expect much else. The movie was fairly faithful to the source material, you see. The only differences were in minor scenes or details that wouldn't have fit in the movie. There are two things that changed I'm rather sore about:

-the reason why one of the characters is suicidal in the very beginning (this was minor and before the majority of the plot, didn't come into play later but still irksome)
-the presence of Lestat in the theatre towards the end of the book, something the movie left out entirely
(the very ending in the movie was also remarkably different, but it was fun all the same so I won't even get into that)

Overall, the story is very addicting in my opinion. If I am to take the words of other reviews I have seen, I am to say 'How in the world is TWILIGHT mainstream while this vanishes into the shadows?!" I...have no clue either.

As I have mentioned reading other reviews, I have noticed that many of the people who gave this one/two star ratings complained of it being over-detailed and boring. I...am inclined to agree, at least in delivery. I am already roughly 1/4 of the way through the second book, The Vampire Lestat, and have noticed something very interesting:

The Vampire Lestat is just as ornate and detailed in its sentence structure and syntax as Interview with the Vampire, but Lestat's voice is completely different. Lestat can actually be very fun and spontaneous, should the mood strike him, just as he is cruel in this book. The difference here? Louis is the one telling the majority of the story. He is known in the fandom as the "whiner". He is mournful in his narrations and I found myself dragging to read it. I was reading the Kindle edition and ended up buying the Audible edition to go alongside it to release the strain on my eyes. Therefore, I theorize that it is not the detail per say that bores the customers, but the voice.

I recommend doing as I did and having it read to you through Audible if you feel this may be a problem for you. I switched between listening and reading often and found it necessary to enjoy Interview fully. Other than that? Enjoy the ride. ( )
  MoonSpider | May 18, 2014 |
The publicity tells us Rice is "a dazzling storyteller." But there is no story here, only a series of sometimes effective but always essentially static tableaus out of Roger Corman films, and some self-conscious soliloquizing out of Spiderman comics, all wrapped in a ballooning, pompous language. Maybe the movie will be better, but the book is too superficial, too impersonal and too obviously made, to touch the sources of real terror and feeling.

The author's seriousness is honest, I think, but misplaced; perhaps a bit more Grand Guignol elegance was called for father than incessant philosophizing. Immersed in the book's fetid, morbid atmosphere - like being in a hothouse full of decaying funeral lilies - one longs to get out in the garden.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Richard F. Lingeman (pay site) (Apr 30, 1976)

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bignardi, MargheritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mancius, W. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niffenegger, AudreyPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spagnol, Luigisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

10 Anne Rice Books: Interview with the Vampire, The Feast of All Saints, Tale of the Body Thief, Lasher, Taltos, Servant by Anne Rice

9 Book Collection of Anne Rice: The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Interview With The Vampire, Memnoch by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Collector's Set (5-Paperback Books): Taltos, The Tale Of The Body Thief, Queen Of The Damned, The Vampire Lestat, Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Stan Rice, Carole Malkin,
and Alice O'Brien Borchardt
"I see..." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.
I never knew what life was until it ran in a red gush over my lips, my hands!

This is the book that started it all. We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead.
Vampires sit and mope.
Like popular Twilight books.
But with denser prose.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345337662, Mass Market Paperback)

In the now-classic novel Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice refreshed the archetypal vampire myth for a late-20th-century audience. The story is ostensibly a simple one: having suffered a tremendous personal loss, an 18th-century Louisiana plantation owner named Louis Pointe du Lac descends into an alcoholic stupor. At his emotional nadir, he is confronted by Lestat, a charismatic and powerful vampire who chooses Louis to be his fledgling. The two prey on innocents, give their "dark gift" to a young girl, and seek out others of their kind (notably the ancient vampire Armand) in Paris. But a summary of this story bypasses the central attractions of the novel. First and foremost, the method Rice chose to tell her tale--with Louis' first-person confession to a skeptical boy--transformed the vampire from a hideous predator into a highly sympathetic, seductive, and all-too-human figure. Second, by entering the experience of an immortal character, one raised with a deep Catholic faith, Rice was able to explore profound philosophical concerns--the nature of evil, the reality of death, and the limits of human perception--in ways not possible from the perspective of a more finite narrator.

While Rice has continued to investigate history, faith, and philosophy in subsequent Vampire novels (including The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Memnoch the Devil, and The Vampire Armand), Interview remains a treasured masterpiece. It is that rare work that blends a childlike fascination for the supernatural with a profound vision of the human condition. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:37 -0400)

We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead. The time is now. We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead. . . He speaks quietly, plainly, even gently . . . carrying us back to the night when he departed human existence as heir--young, romantic, cultivated--to a great Louisiana plantation, and was inducted by the radiant and sinister Lestat into the other, the "endless," life . . . learning first to sustain himself on the blood of cocks and rats caught in the raffish streets of New Orleans, then on the blood of human beings . . . to the years when, moving away from his final human ties under the tutelage of the hated yet necessary Lestat, he gradually embraces the habits, hungers, feelings of vampirism: the detachment, the hardened will, the "superior" sensual pleasures. He carries us back to the crucial moment in a dark New Orleans street when he finds the exquisite lost young child Claudia, wanting not to hurt but to comfort her, struggling against the last residue of human feeling within him. We see how Claudia in turn is made a vampire--all her passion and intelligence trapped forever in the body of a small child--and how they arrive at their passionate and dangerous alliance, their French Quarter life of opulence: delicate Grecian statues, Chinese vases, crystal chandeliers, a butler, a maid, a stone nymph in the hidden garden court . . . night curving into night with their vampire senses heightened to the beauty of the world, thirsting for the beauty of death--a constant stream of vulnerable strangers awaiting them below . . . We see them joined against the envious, dangerous Lestat, embarking on a perilous search across Europe for others like themselves, desperate to discover the world they belong to, the ways of survival, to know what they are and why, where they came from, what their future can be . . . We follow them across Austria and Transylvania, encountering their kind in forms beyond their wildest imagining . . . to Paris, where footsteps behind them, in exact rhythm with their own, steer them to the doors of the Theatre des Vampires--the beautiful, lewd, and febrile mime theatre whose posters of penny-dreadful vampires at once mask and reveal the horror within . . . to their meeting with the eerily magnetic Armand, who brings them, at last, into intimacy with a whole brilliant and decadent society of vampires, an intimacy that becomes sudden terror when they are compelled to confront what they have feared and fled . . . In its unceasing flow of spellbinding storytelling, of danger and flight, of loyalty and treachery, Interview with the Vampire bears witness of a literary imagination of the first order.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible