Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Interview with the Vampire (1976)

by Anne Rice

Series: The Vampire Chronicles (1)

15,708208113 (3.84)360
Recently added bySCWilson, Henbaben
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (becca58203)
    Agyar by Steven Brust (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: The diary of a vampire. A bit more modern than Rice's tale.
    The Passion by Donna Boyd (VictoriaPL)
    Sunglasses After Dark by Nancy A. Collins (VictoriaPL)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    The Thief of Time by John Boyne (Booksloth)
    Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (letsdisco2373)
    Not Safe For Vampires by William Frost (LostVampire)
    LostVampire: Thomas Watson becomes a vampire during the Civil War. The YA fantasy fiction novel NOT SAFE FOR VAMPIRES is a good read. It is only 128 pages, but it is not light reading, You really have to follow the beginning - once you understand the style of writing (there are flashback scenes) you will really enjoy the journey. The story is filled with history. For example, Africatown and the Clotilde ship are a real part of history (I googled it). Also, the character Captain Thomas Watson was really a soldier for the Union Army. I believe you will enjoy this book and add it to your library as well.… (more)

English (200)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (208)
Read back in the day. This started me on a bit of an Anne Rice kick, which I am over now. Even when I was reading this, I thought that Louis was whiny and a bore, and I never understood why Lestat tolerated him. I doubt this holds up. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 25, 2015 |
I first read this about 20 years ago and tore through it. I loved it! It has remained on my 'fave read' list ever since. Recently though, I have started a re-read of those early 'fave reads' and The Vampire Chronicles is the latest to come under renewed scrutiny.

When I first discovered these books, there wasn't the glut of vampire fiction abailable that there is today. From the handful on the shelf at the time, this was in my opinion the best. Since those days I've read countless supernatural/paranormal books and dozens of vampire novels and was curious if Interview with a vampire had stood the test of time and was still as good as I remembered it to be.

In short, yes, it's still a good story. I didn't rattle through it as quickly as I did the first time around but that's got more to do with reading time constraints than it has to do with content. Anne Rice's writing style is flowery and evocative and searching and those are not really things I would rate highly in my usual reading choices, but maybe nostalgia is making me sentimental and I'm prepared to put up with a lot more from an old friend than I would be from a new aquaintance.

The book was slower than I remember it being but perhaps the notion of sexy, sensual, flawed vampires was new and exciting back then and caused me to get so wrapped up in the moment that time just flew. Now, there are any number of vampires who share those qualaties and the idea doesn't seem so fresh and exciting any more. However, for all that, Rice's vampires still seem to have an 'edge' to them. Something compelling that makes them stand out from the crowd.

It's hard going into this without expectations, because I've already read the others in the series, but even knowing what is to come I loved Louis all over again in this first book and hated Lestat. I know that after a few more books I'll regard Louis as a whiny bitch and I'll adore Lestat with a passion but for now Louis is a tortured soul and Lestat is a selfish brat.

The story itself is really a setting up of what's to come. It's a vehicle to introduce us to the main characters and to world build but the core story is a solid one and although I suppose these could be read out of sequence I don't think it would be quite such an enjoyable saga that way. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
This was a re-read. I think I first read it sometime in the 90's and enjoyed it then. On the re-read, the first thing that jumped out at me was the wonderful turns of phrase that Rice uses. Some of them are absolutely beautiful - almost poetic.

Prior to the re-read, I read an interview with Rice where she discussed which characters she liked in the book and which she didn't. I never cared much for Lestat the first time around and that hasn't changed. I will be reading Lestat, the second book, sometime in the near future and maybe my opinion will change.

I like Louis and I like Armand. It is Louis' story after all and I think it is well told. I love the setting of late 1700's New Orleans and Paris. I love Louis' tortured soul and his path of discovery and ultimately disappointment of what it means to be an immortal vampire. I also enjoyed the impossible and improbably love story that exists between he and Claudia, the child he and Lestat convert to vampirism.

I am not much a horror genre read and what I like about the Rice books is that like Shelley's "Frankenstein", the Vampire Chronicles are less about horror and more about the "big questions" concerning life, death, love and immortality.

If you haven't read these books (yes, another series...agggggghhhhhh!) I highly recommend them. They are descriptively lush and very evocative of time and place. They move along too - I read this book over two days. Treat yourself to a little bit of literary horror.

ozzieslim | Dec 28, 2014 |
Interesting, flowery language.

But I couldn't get into this because it felt rather pointless. It didn't feel like the characters were headed anywhere. There was no character growth. Nothing was compelling about any of the characters. And I found the whole thing rather disgusting. It's basically Lolita (though the "lolita" is much younger) as told by vampires. No thank you. Pedophilia is not my cup of tea. ( )
1 vote benuathanasia | Dec 11, 2014 |
Deeply silly and over the top but quite good fun. A little too long - some part just drag. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
The publicity tells us Rice is "a dazzling storyteller." But there is no story here, only a series of sometimes effective but always essentially static tableaus out of Roger Corman films, and some self-conscious soliloquizing out of Spiderman comics, all wrapped in a ballooning, pompous language. Maybe the movie will be better, but the book is too superficial, too impersonal and too obviously made, to touch the sources of real terror and feeling.

The author's seriousness is honest, I think, but misplaced; perhaps a bit more Grand Guignol elegance was called for father than incessant philosophizing. Immersed in the book's fetid, morbid atmosphere - like being in a hothouse full of decaying funeral lilies - one longs to get out in the garden.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Richard F. Lingeman (pay site) (Apr 30, 1976)

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bignardi, MargheritaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mancius, W. vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niffenegger, AudreyPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spagnol, Luigisecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

10 Anne Rice Books: Interview with the Vampire, The Feast of All Saints, Tale of the Body Thief, Lasher, Taltos, Servant by Anne Rice

9 Book Collection of Anne Rice: The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Interview With The Vampire, Memnoch by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Collector's Set (5-Paperback Books): Taltos, The Tale Of The Body Thief, Queen Of The Damned, The Vampire Lestat, Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

For Stan Rice, Carole Malkin,
and Alice O'Brien Borchardt
"I see..." said the vampire thoughtfully, and slowly he walked across the room towards the window.
I never knew what life was until it ran in a red gush over my lips, my hands!

This is the book that started it all. We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead.
Vampires sit and mope.
Like popular Twilight books.
But with denser prose.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345337662, Mass Market Paperback)

In the now-classic novel Interview with the Vampire, Anne Rice refreshed the archetypal vampire myth for a late-20th-century audience. The story is ostensibly a simple one: having suffered a tremendous personal loss, an 18th-century Louisiana plantation owner named Louis Pointe du Lac descends into an alcoholic stupor. At his emotional nadir, he is confronted by Lestat, a charismatic and powerful vampire who chooses Louis to be his fledgling. The two prey on innocents, give their "dark gift" to a young girl, and seek out others of their kind (notably the ancient vampire Armand) in Paris. But a summary of this story bypasses the central attractions of the novel. First and foremost, the method Rice chose to tell her tale--with Louis' first-person confession to a skeptical boy--transformed the vampire from a hideous predator into a highly sympathetic, seductive, and all-too-human figure. Second, by entering the experience of an immortal character, one raised with a deep Catholic faith, Rice was able to explore profound philosophical concerns--the nature of evil, the reality of death, and the limits of human perception--in ways not possible from the perspective of a more finite narrator.

While Rice has continued to investigate history, faith, and philosophy in subsequent Vampire novels (including The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Memnoch the Devil, and The Vampire Armand), Interview remains a treasured masterpiece. It is that rare work that blends a childlike fascination for the supernatural with a profound vision of the human condition. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:37 -0400)

We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead. The time is now. We are in a small room with the vampire, face to face, as he speaks--as he pours out the hypnotic, shocking, moving, and erotically charged confessions of his first two hundred years as one of the living dead. . . He speaks quietly, plainly, even gently . . . carrying us back to the night when he departed human existence as heir--young, romantic, cultivated--to a great Louisiana plantation, and was inducted by the radiant and sinister Lestat into the other, the "endless," life . . . learning first to sustain himself on the blood of cocks and rats caught in the raffish streets of New Orleans, then on the blood of human beings . . . to the years when, moving away from his final human ties under the tutelage of the hated yet necessary Lestat, he gradually embraces the habits, hungers, feelings of vampirism: the detachment, the hardened will, the "superior" sensual pleasures. He carries us back to the crucial moment in a dark New Orleans street when he finds the exquisite lost young child Claudia, wanting not to hurt but to comfort her, struggling against the last residue of human feeling within him. We see how Claudia in turn is made a vampire--all her passion and intelligence trapped forever in the body of a small child--and how they arrive at their passionate and dangerous alliance, their French Quarter life of opulence: delicate Grecian statues, Chinese vases, crystal chandeliers, a butler, a maid, a stone nymph in the hidden garden court . . . night curving into night with their vampire senses heightened to the beauty of the world, thirsting for the beauty of death--a constant stream of vulnerable strangers awaiting them below . . . We see them joined against the envious, dangerous Lestat, embarking on a perilous search across Europe for others like themselves, desperate to discover the world they belong to, the ways of survival, to know what they are and why, where they came from, what their future can be . . . We follow them across Austria and Transylvania, encountering their kind in forms beyond their wildest imagining . . . to Paris, where footsteps behind them, in exact rhythm with their own, steer them to the doors of the Theatre des Vampires--the beautiful, lewd, and febrile mime theatre whose posters of penny-dreadful vampires at once mask and reveal the horror within . . . to their meeting with the eerily magnetic Armand, who brings them, at last, into intimacy with a whole brilliant and decadent society of vampires, an intimacy that becomes sudden terror when they are compelled to confront what they have feared and fled . . . In its unceasing flow of spellbinding storytelling, of danger and flight, of loyalty and treachery, Interview with the Vampire bears witness of a literary imagination of the first order.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,162,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible